PDA

View Full Version : moving abroad

wwe
18-10-2008, 17:07
hi want to ask if you could give me some advice on moving abroad how do i go about doing it and do you need a visia

homealone
18-10-2008, 17:17
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/BritonsLivingAbroad/BeforeYouGo/DG_4000018

Halcyon
18-10-2008, 18:00
It all depends where you are moving to.

It is relatively simple if you are staying in Europe as you have as a UK resident the right to work in Europe.

The first thing you should do is decide on where abroad you would like to move to.
Research jobs in the area by visiting their own version of the jobcentre websites.
Look at what costs are involved, costs of of living, food, how easy it is to get around.
Are there any local laws that you need to be aware of, what is the health service like there ?
Can you speak the local language ? etc.

I would always suggest you try and save up enough money to afford 3 months rent.
Then rent somewhere and see how it goes. You will need money whilst you look for a job so plan to save in advance.

Check out some local forums and also expats forums.

http://www.expatexchange.com/lib.cfm?articleid=1567

Watching You
20-10-2008, 09:38
Moving abroad, WWE you haven’t provided much information on such a broad subject apart from asking about a visa, which is the last of your worries.

Ideally when deciding on moving abroad, whether inside the EU or outside the typical steps should be:

First write down on a piece of paper all the pros and cons of moving overseas. ie my family will be far away or cost of living will be cheaper; cost of getting kids into a good school, lack of public transport means I have to drive everywhere. Ideally you should have more pros than cons.

Visit the country beforehand identify how you intend to live and where in the city or suburbs. Try to speak to other expats to get a feel of all the pitfalls that you should avoid. At a regional level one state is different to the next, for example moving to Sydney would be far harder to integrate into the community than moving to Melbourne.

Go to the embassy/ High Commission of the respective country in the UK to discuss immigrating to their country. Several (Commonwealth) countries actually have programs that can identify jobs for your skills set. You may tell them that you want to start the first jet ski business and they may inform you that the reason there are no jet ski businesses here is because the other 100 have all failed, why do you think yours will make it? Its at this stage that you will be informed if you require a visa, residency status etc.

Do the maths, armed with this information work out all your costs and calculate can if you can survive for two years. Remember many countries outside Europe, Aus, US, NZ don’t have benefits if you get into trouble and you will also need medical insurance for your family.

Noting that many of your household items you cannot take with you overseas like fridges, TVs, cars For example most British fridges don’t last long in Australia because they are not insulated against the hotter temperatures. You will also have to rent a furnished apartment or stay in a hotel until household items arrive. Some UK medicines are not available overseas, in popular countries like Australia, Dubai, Thailand etc.

Next, after all this way up if you can and how you will live overseas.

Avoid the pitfalls, do not assume if you have never run a business over here that you can run a business overseas because you have plenty of money in your pockets, on the sale of your property. And if you have never built a house in this country do not assume that you can now build a place overseas because labour is cheaper. The world is covered with many half built properties of British expats who thought how difficult can this be.

Please remember that you will now be the FORIENGER in this country and many people may resent you if they perceive that you are new to the country and now doing better than they are, especially in places like Sydney.

The best quote I have ever heard from someone going to live overseas was: "that to do well and prosper you need a lot of luck, deep, deep pockets and a thick skin and more luck", So Good luck with that .:welcome:

Kymmy
20-10-2008, 10:05
1# What nationality are you
2# Do you possess any other passports apart from the answer to Q1#
3# Provide a list as to where you are thinking of going to...
4# Do you expect to work in the destination country
5# Is it a permanent or temporary move

Answer those five questions and you'll get more definite answers

Chris
20-10-2008, 10:10
hi want to ask if you could give me some advice on moving abroad how do i go about doing it and do you need a visia

You posted the other week asking where you could find free online courses. Now you're asking for advice on how to emigrate.

I can only say similar to what I said in your other thread - you need to take a good, hard look at yourself first and ask what you want to achieve in life. You can't begin to decide whether you really want to emigrate, and if so, to where, and for what job and lifestyle, unless you really understand this. Otherwise you could well just make yourself a lot more miserable (and cost yourself a lot of money).

I don't think you should enrol on any course or consider moving to any other country until you know your own mind a little better than you currently seem to.

And I still think KFC is your best bet in the immediate term. You obviously care about the job - what prospects are there for promotion to a supervisory role, or maybe even management training? The pay may not be brilliant but it would be good experience on your CV that would make any major career or lifestyle changes easier to implement, further down the road.