PDA

View Full Version : Freeview Reception Problems

archie hunter
18-10-2008, 08:32
My brother-in-law has a Freeview STB and a wideband aerial. His local transmitter is Lark Stoke (Stratford-on-Avon area), which is 8 miles away. He's been having problems recently with digital channels 'disappearing'. From what I gather, he's always had problems with MUX A & B. He's also had problems with BBC2 on analogue (which I find surprising). However, during a recent thunderstorm a lot of the 'disappeared' digital channels re-appeared. I suggested it may be a transmitter issue rather than his equipment (he's actually bought a new STB thinking that may have been the problem). Or could it be his aerial is pointing to Sutton Coldfield (29 miles distant). Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Kymmy
18-10-2008, 08:52
Most freeview boxes will be able to give a signal strength reading, if it can what is it??

I know that I had cut-out problems with freeview until I got and installed a masthead amp (came in handy as it was a 4 way out as well :p:)

archie hunter
18-10-2008, 09:36
Thanks for your reply. I'll get him to check it.

snowey
27-10-2008, 06:53
Most freeview boxes will be able to give a signal strength reading, if it can what is it??

I know that I had cut-out problems with freeview until I got and installed a masthead amp (came in handy as it was a 4 way out as well :p:)

Kymmy, what sort of reception reading should you be looking for, % ? , "ie" new airiel, 5metre run, all connections sound, new Samsung LCD. Was getting 95% on old LCD, Now only 72/74%, suspect faulty Digital tuner..
TIA......
snowey. :)