PDA

View Full Version : BT Mobile closing down!!!!

m419
17-10-2008, 15:19
BT Mobile is no longer accepting new customers, with the introduction of its prepay mobile service in December 2007, it has recently closed its doors to new customers and won't be long before they start increasing prices to force off customers.

I expect that the whole operation will close by Early 2010.

Graham M
17-10-2008, 16:35
Link?

m419
18-10-2008, 16:08
http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_catpage.php?p_sid=QYRCYEgj&cat_lvl1=760&cat_lvl2=854&p_cv=2.854&p_cats=760,854

dragon
19-10-2008, 20:23
Considering they are currently promoting the BB Anywhere phones which run on BTMobile for the out of wi-fi coverage and mobile calling I don't expect they are going to be shutting it down in a hurry.

m419
20-10-2008, 01:47
I think that is just Mobile Broadband only.

Voice Calls,Text messaging and basic mobile services will probably be billed and managed by Vodafone.

The reason for the U-Turn is because sales have never materialised. This probably because the tariffs and pricing are not competitive and because of a poor marketing budget.

I mean they introduced BT Mobile pay as you go last year and it was only available to BT landline customers, I tried ordering through my friends account and they kept passing us from call centre to call centre, across the world and back again, it was very disorganised!

dragon
20-10-2008, 08:56
So are you talking about pay as you go closing down or the service as a whole :erm:

m419
20-10-2008, 10:39
As the website says they are not taking on any new customers Pay as you go and pay monthly.

As they are focusing on just one particular product,it means that they can offload sales staff and save themselves a packet.

I still find it odd why they gave up MMo2 as they had a proper mobile phone network in UK,Ireland,Holland,Germany and Isle of man as well as landline and internet services in isle of man.

Now that is something that Cable and Wireless doesn't have!

dragon
20-10-2008, 17:49
As the website says they are not taking on any new customers Pay as you go and pay monthly.

As they are focusing on just one particular product,it means that they can offload sales staff and save themselves a packet.

I still find it odd why they gave up MMo2 as they had a proper mobile phone network in UK,Ireland,Holland,Germany and Isle of man as well as landline and internet services in isle of man.

Now that is something that Cable and Wireless doesn't have!

What website :confused: I couldn't see it :erm: (admittedly I did just glance at the page quickly)

Edit:

Opps sorry just seen it, AFAIK they are concentrating on the Broadband anywhere and nothing else.

m419
21-10-2008, 08:54
Well existing customers of the orginal service will start drifting as they are quite expensive and it will close down soon.

I cannot see there mobile broadband product going far either as there is just too much competition with T-Mobile's Web 'N' Walk,Hutchison 3G's mobile broadband services and the new Virgin Mobile/Media Mobile broadband.

And even worse for BT, a lot of people hate them! for there past reputation of being expensive........well still are on most services and there bad reputation of automatically signing people up to BT Broadband and making life complicated when switching providers.

I tell you what would really help BT, if someone answered the damn phone in the customer services......even if its in india! Surely they are not always busy I bet they have like 3 customer service call centre staff trying to manage 50 incomming calls LOL And they take like 10 years to reply to emails.

O2(BT Cellnet) was the same up until a few years ago and its much improved now, so BT must not employ many service agents as a cost cutting scheme. And who suffers...............The customers as per usual! And BT Cellnet used to charge 20p per minute for a call to 4445 and 50p per minute to call Genie. It makes me wonder why so many people put up with that!

PeteTheMusicGuy
21-10-2008, 13:53
It could be possible that they have closed the doors as they may be working out what to do with it. They could be in the process of a major reluanch ;)

m419
21-10-2008, 19:42
They flopped as soon as they sold off there european network. Virtual networks often flop because of the high costs involved,I mean the only successful one has been Virgin Mobile and even that is now struggling to keep up.

PeteTheMusicGuy
23-10-2008, 11:02
BT business arm is doing pretty well on the mobile front ;)

m419
27-10-2008, 19:38
But i'm talking about BT Consumer (Phones for your lifestyle). BT Business is still quite expensive for small and medium sized businesses.

NTL Telewest Business offer 20MB and Telephone for £50 per month, BT cant offer that speed neither can BeBroadband/O2 at that price! NTL Telewest Business also offer phone calls at very super low prices,cheaper than Virgin Media residential.

Then choose a mobile network, Orange Business and T-Mobile Business offer tariffs which offer unlimited calling betwen company mobiles,unlimited mobile broadband and few other features at a low fixed cost per month.