PDA

View Full Version : Sponsoring a child

SB_07
14-10-2008, 22:15
Has anyone ever done this before?

I'd be interested in sponsoring a child in Palestine but can't seem to find a decent site for it.

Bit of a long shot but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kymmy
14-10-2008, 22:24
World vision (https://www.worldvision.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.451) is the biggest child sponsorship program that I know of

Caff
14-10-2008, 23:15
World vision (https://www.worldvision.org.uk/server.php?show=nav.451) is the biggest child sponsorship program that I know of

From experience (at work - a primary school) - World Vision reassuringly hits the nail on the head in terms of appreciation and feedback. It is well-organised and lets the donator what is happenning.

SB_07
15-10-2008, 01:52
Thank you both of you, will check it out.

Damien
15-10-2008, 21:57
From experience (at work - a primary school) - World Vision reassuringly hits the nail on the head in terms of appreciation and feedback. It is well-organised and lets the donator what is happenning.

The appreciation/feedback would make me feel uneasy. :erm:

SB_07
15-10-2008, 22:00
I checked it out and a few others, most want at least £15 -20 a month and at the moment i'm not really in a position to do that. I did come across www.taskbrasil.org where you can donate as much as you can afford every month so will give them a go.

Thanks again for the help.

papa smurf
15-10-2008, 22:01
Has anyone ever done this before?

I'd be interested in sponsoring a child in Palestine but can't seem to find a decent site for it.

Bit of a long shot but any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

?why a child from palestine , there are kids in this country you know ,some of them could use a helping hand . charity begins at home

SB_07
15-10-2008, 22:10
?why a child from palestine

Because i'm involved in campaigning for the rights of the Palestinian people. But after some more research it doesn't seem like there are many charities that do child sponsorship in Palestine, probably because it is so hard to get even the most basic aid into Gaza & the west bank because of the Israeli military blockades.

Caff
15-10-2008, 22:18
The appreciation/feedback would make me feel uneasy. :erm:

Why?
It shows the children that they're not throwing their contribution down an empty chute and that what they try to do to contribute does make a difference.
It's the organisation of the fund-raising that makes the difference. Feedback is important to the contributors when they're little 'uns otherwise it can be a meaningless task.

papa smurf
15-10-2008, 22:22
Because i'm involved in campaigning for the rights of the Palestinian people. But after some more research it doesn't seem like there are many charities that do child sponsorship in Palestine, probably because it is so hard to get even the most basic aid into Gaza & the west bank because of the Israeli military blockades.

then spread the love , I'm sure there's children out there that could benefit from your gift , they have children in Israel as well you know .

idi banashapan
15-10-2008, 23:04
i've heard there are children EVERYWHERE!! it's like someone is breeding them or something - crazy stuff....

Damien
16-10-2008, 19:01
Why?
It shows the children that they're not throwing their contribution down an empty chute and that what they try to do to contribute does make a difference.
It's the organisation of the fund-raising that makes the difference. Feedback is important to the contributors when they're little 'uns otherwise it can be a meaningless task.

I can see why people like it, I don't like the idea myself though. It's nothing against the organisation or people who do, It's just the way I am. I don't even like giving money to people on the street with collecting tins, because they are there watching you do it :erm: It's just a weird thing I have.

Online donation systems are good, you just donate and it's all rather impersonal.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

then spread the love , I'm sure there's children out there that could benefit from your gift , they have children in Israel as well you know .

Israel should be able to deal with them then, they are a rich country as are we. I can see why he would want to give money to the Palestinian cause, it's because they are in an awful situation and only people that can assist are charitable organisations (or terrorist ones, not ideal that) .

The levels of suffering in places like Africa and the Middle-east is outstanding, and a much wider. Look to the Sudan for some unimaginable suffering.

Caff
16-10-2008, 19:11
I can see why people like it, I don't like the idea myself though. It's nothing against the organisation or people who do, It's just the way I am. I don't even like giving money to people on the street with collecting tins, because they are there watching you do it :erm: It's just a weird thing I have.

Online donation systems are good, you just donate and it's all rather impersonal.

Point taken :)

lauzjp
30-10-2008, 15:48
I've signed up to postpals and am sending Christmas cards (and some gifts) to poorly kids in the UK.

Next year I want to do shoeboxes for the forces. :)

Chris
30-10-2008, 15:58
Our church is sponsoring several children per year through a secondary school in Malawi, but this is through personal contacts between one of our congregation and several staff and pupils at that school, who have now also been on exchange visits over here.

I'd echo what others have said about the usefulness of feedback as provided, for example, on the World Vision website. It is very important to know exactly what your cash is achieving, especially as in certain poorer parts of the world what is a few pounds to you is a great deal of money to the organisation you are donating to, and it can be a temptation to misuse it.

You should definitely only deal with trusted organisations and individuals.