PDA

View Full Version : new house buy second hand sky box?

afriend
14-10-2008, 10:17
Four of us have just moved into a house near my university. We want to get sky + broadband installed. The major cost is buying the box which one of us would have to own. I have seen a sky box + for sale with viewing card and cable. Would there be a problem if I said I already have a box and viewing card?

zing_deleted
14-10-2008, 10:24
in theory there should not be you would still pay installation. Im sure you could get an offer though if you try

Paul K
14-10-2008, 15:16
The card would be blocked I would guess as it should be linked to an account, if the card is not blocked I cannot see it being legit.

zing_deleted
14-10-2008, 16:02
yeah the card will be blocked but sky will just send out a new one and tie it into the account or possibly if the account is not active they may tie that card in. I bought my first sky plus box privately and got a mate to install it

Chris
14-10-2008, 16:22
Sky don't care if you already have a box as it saves them subsidising the cost of a new one. They would most likely just send out a new viewing card when the new account is activated.

Paul K
15-10-2008, 07:16
Yep Sky will pair the card to the box. I was just pointing out to the OP he will still have to go to Sky for a subscription. Also is there a dish installed that works at the property? Plus you will need to get the Sky tv set up and working before Sky will offer their ADSL package to you. £99 for the Sky+ box is not a lot between 4 people.

Graham M
15-10-2008, 07:29
£99 for the Sky+ box is not a lot between 4 people.

And you can get it free if you know where to look :)

afriend
19-10-2008, 19:14
And you can get it free if you know where to look :)

Hi thanks for the replies. No point in splitting cost as someone has to own it to take it home eventually.

I don't know where to look - any pointers welcome.