PDA

View Full Version : Installation confusion

aplb
10-10-2008, 21:41
Hi all,

I am a new member to the forum so please excuse me for any breaches of posting protocols and for my ignorance of the detail of cable installations. I hope some of you can give me some advice on a problem I have with getting cable broadband in my house any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a homeowner in Harrogate, North Yorkshire and I ordered ViginMedia's 10Mb broadband option. My house was built in 1999 and I was told that conduits for cable tv had been laid to the front of the house. VM's postcode checker confirmed that I could have Cable broadband so everything was fine and an installation was booked for about 3 weeks ago now.

The day before the installation was due to take place a couple of guys turned up to do a pre-installation check. They asked me where the cable box was but I couldn't telll them, I asked them to look around to see if they could find it. They didn't talk to me again before they left so I assumed everything
was fine and that the installation would go ahead.
Unfortunately this was not the case, no-one turned up and no-one rang to tell me why. I rang VM and they told me that my property was now listed as unserviceable which surprised me.

Since then I have been looking around my garden behind the bushes etc. and I have now found a plastic cover with CATV on it and underneath it is a plastic conduit which I assume is for the cable.

After discovering this I rang VM back to say that I had found it and could they send someone back to check it out for me. They said that my property is set as unserviceable so they can't book another installation.

They insist on putting me through to the 'Spotters' number (a voicemail system) where I have left several messages but I have had no response. I have also tried to request a site survey but that hasn't been successful either.

I have told them I am happy to pay for an installation engineer to visit even if he says that I am definitely unserviceable and can't do anything but this also gets no response.

Can anyone suggest what my next steps should be?
I am sorry that this post is a bit long but I wanted to give the whole story:)