PDA

View Full Version : can calls be traced from abroad?

shelly
30-09-2008, 19:48
I need to phone the u.k from abroad but I don't want the person to know that I am abroad. Will they be able to tell - will the number show the international code prefix?

WHISTLED
30-09-2008, 19:53
yep...

Halcyon
30-09-2008, 20:01
I wonder what it would show if it was a mobile phone though as they go through England anyway don't they.

shelly
30-09-2008, 20:01
O.K.....so can I withhold my number?

Kymmy
30-09-2008, 20:13
Nope, it'll still come up as INTERNATIONAL call

What you can do though is to use something like SKYPE , no number then and they get routed through local exchanges to the destination call

joglynne
30-09-2008, 20:25
Fiddly work around could be to set up a call redirect with someone's phone in the UK.

shelly
30-09-2008, 20:43
sorry to be a bit thick but whats SKYPE?

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

o.k...just looked up SKYPE...dont think this would be any good. Is it fiddly to set up a call redirect? How do you do it?

joglynne
30-09-2008, 21:49
sorry to be a bit thick but whats SKYPE?

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:25 ----------

o.k...just looked up SKYPE...dont think this would be any good. Is it fiddly to set up a call redirect? How do you do it?

You would need to arrange it with a friend in the UK who has call redirect or divert facility on their phone. For example some one who is with BT and has opted to pay for call diverting. You phone them at a pre-arranged time when they will have set their phone to redirect your incoming call to the UK number you want to connect to.

Result your call will appear to have been made from your friends phone number. Told you it was fiddly. :D

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayCategory.do?categoryId=CON-CAL-FEAT-R1

northy
07-10-2008, 16:57
what we all really want to know is, why dont ya want them to know you are abroad lol ;)

PeteTheMusicGuy
07-10-2008, 17:01
what we all really want to know is, why dont ya want them to know you are abroad lol ;)

Secret Agent on an undercover mission ;)

Sirius
07-10-2008, 17:03
what we all really want to know is, why don't ya want them to know you are abroad lol ;)Possibly off sick and going abroad on holiday, and has to report in while on the sick :LOL:.

BenMcr
07-10-2008, 18:12
Surely it would be shown the same.

You don't have to dial 0044 in front of a mobile number to phone it when it is abroad

Ernie_C
07-10-2008, 18:49
Possibly off sick and going abroad on holiday, and has to report in while on the sick :LOL:.
Businesses are increasingly employing investigators to catch out their employees who try this.

PS SKYPE is a good solution. My daughter is currently working in Denmark but uses SKYPE to phone us - the call looks like it is coming from an Edinburgh number.

BexTech
10-10-2008, 21:35
Surely it would be shown the same.

You don't have to dial 0044 in front of a mobile number to phone it when it is abroad

You do on many networks.

The OP could use a UK Mobile whilst abroad, the person in the UK wouldn't know any difference.

---------- Post added at 21:35 ---------- Previous post was at 21:33 ----------

Businesses are increasingly employing investigators to catch out their employees who try this.

PS SKYPE is a good solution. My daughter is currently working in Denmark but uses SKYPE to phone us - the call looks like it is coming from an Edinburgh number.

I use real VoIP and similar with a Birmingham and London number and other areas too, cheaper call rates than Skype as Skype along with Tesco are the two dearer providers.

Visitor
29-10-2008, 19:35
I need to phone the u.k from abroad but I don't want the person to know that I am abroad. Will they be able to tell - will the number show the international code prefix?

NOTHING will be shown, if you can disable your number before making the call. Most systems, land lines, cell phones can do this.

For example, I use 02 in the UK, its just a matter of going into the phone settings to switch off "Show my number" then it dont matter where I am in the world, the number will not be shown.

If your using a landline, then ask the owner how to switch it off :) *67 ?

Halcyon
23-11-2008, 16:08
If I am to send a text message from abroad, does anyone know what number will come up ?
Will it show that I'm abroad?

Using a UK mobile phone on Virgin Mobile.

multiskilled
23-11-2008, 20:14
Why don't you phone some one in the uk who knows your abroad, and ask them if it shows your number as abroad.

Chris
23-11-2008, 20:16
If I am to send a text message from abroad, does anyone know what number will come up ?
Will it show that I'm abroad?

Using a UK mobile phone on Virgin Mobile.

I've phoned Mrs T from overseas a fair few times from my mobile - she says she either gets 'no number' or 'international' on the caller-ID screen on our home phone.

AndyCambs
23-11-2008, 21:30
I've received calls from abroad and it sometimes shows the number, other times it just shows "international" or "unknown" depending on the phone system in the country where the call is made.

Halcyon
23-11-2008, 22:40
Thanks everyone.

I think I'll just get someone in the UK to text for me instead.