PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain STM to me?

novacrsh
29-09-2008, 19:17
Hi guys....
Just wondered if anyone could shed some light on VM STM.
Bought a brand new laptop with wireless.....have not been using my main desktop computer for about a week - My new laptop allowed me maximum download speeds via NNTP (the first time i had ever experienced this!!!) - The next day i have speeds of about 550 kb/s compared to that very rare moment of 1800 kb/s the day before ... is this STM? what are the current boundries/rules?

Many thanks in advance

kpanchev
29-09-2008, 19:30
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

rossdagley
29-09-2008, 19:37
STM places restrictions on what you can download and when you can download it - although it's for your own good apparently. See the link above for details on the exact amounts and times.

Have a think about these restrictions the next time you see a VM advert for unrestricted internet access :rolleyes:

smcicr
29-09-2008, 23:22
Have to say that while i'm not entirely convinced on the transparancy in relation to the STM - especially for a 'Virgin' company I think it could be improved to the point where people wouldn't have such an issue with it in a couple of steps:

1. Re-examine the trigger amounts (i just don't think they are suitable in the current environment where you may have multiple users sharing a connection and where a legitimate game / movie download could quite feasibly set off STM)

2. A system whereby a user's overall usage for the month was taken into account.

Clearly it is not fair for someone who downloads an amount large enough to trigger STM once or twice a month for example to be considered a 'heavy' or 'excessive' user.

I don't think anyone really has an issue with a system that focuses on people who are hammering the bandwidth night and day all the time - do they?

rossdagley
30-09-2008, 08:39
I don't think anyone really has an issue with a system that focuses on people who are hammering the bandwidth night and day all the time - do they?

Unless you pay for a service thats advertised as "without restrictions or speed caps" and don't get that service you pay for. I'd have no problem being capped or on a throttled network - if I knew that when I signed up to VM. But when I signed up, I was won over by the publicity of "no caps, no restrictions, ever!"

Turns out it's yet more lies from the VM BS machine. The same as phorm. The same as the 50mb roll-out. All VM BS in some way or another. VM trying desperately to have a bigger willy than the next ISP. Still - only one more month to go for me, and then I'm off to an (independently acknowledged) unlimited provider.

Its just a pity my new provider uses this really old technology of copper wires (yuck!) and not this fibre and laser wizardry :rolleyes:

xspeedyx
30-09-2008, 09:47
I do think STM limits needs to be changed as said b4 the way people use the internet is for ever changing and people need unlimited quicker speed for example house of 4 could use the internet like this

Dad - Checking emails,online banking,iplayer
Mum - Shopping online, emails
Kid 1 - Youtube,msn,limewire(general p2p)
kid 2 - online gaming,limewire,itunes

That adds upto one hell of alot of bandwidth and thats what alot of household with multi user need

Fatec
30-09-2008, 13:58
I do think STM limits needs to be changed as said b4 the way people use the internet is for ever changing and people need unlimited quicker speed for example house of 4 could use the internet like this

Dad - Checking emails,online banking,iplayer
Mum - Shopping online, emails
Kid 1 - Youtube,msn,limewire(general p2p)
kid 2 - online gaming,limewire,itunes

That adds upto one hell of alot of bandwidth and thats what alot of household with multi user need

That wont use too much downstream bandwith, the problem here is the upstream (or lack of) bandwith.

Doing all that with 4 people in the household with 768K upload is near impossible, makes you feel like you are on dial up.

Will be the same with 50Mbit, soon as you multitask, down the craphole it will go.

I think for those that can, really should go to better ISP's, VM aint gonna get any better.

xspeedyx
30-09-2008, 15:03
I think once they have 50mb in place the upload could increase

Fatec
30-09-2008, 15:05

And along with it we get even worse STM and application throttling, what's better?

broadbandbug
02-10-2008, 19:59

I agree.. But we will have to wait and see:)

xspeedyx
02-10-2008, 20:03
And along with it we get even worse STM and application throttling, what's better?

As nothing has been confirmed about ALLOT Trax I really dont see VM doing this as customers will cop on and they will LOSE too many customers I know VM arent the greatest ISP with STM but I dont see them denying it and then implelmenting as then OFCOM ASA will get involved and it will mean more and more trouble so until offical its been confirmed I am not convinced about thr ALLOT system, I aint arguing woth you Trax as your post normally are true but I just cant see VM been this stupid

rossdagley
02-10-2008, 20:04
I agree.. But we will have to wait and see:)

It has to - otherwise 50mbit is impossible ;)

xspeedyx
02-10-2008, 20:11
It has to - otherwise 50mbit is impossible ;)

Not that impossible you will get around 47-48Mb which close to 50mb and you will never hit 50mb due to overheads like you wil never hit 4mb, 10mb, 20mb

rossdagley
02-10-2008, 20:15
Not that impossible you will get around 47-48Mb which close to 50mb and you will never hit 50mb due to overheads like you wil never hit 4mb, 10mb, 20mb

So it's impossible then :D

xspeedyx
02-10-2008, 20:52
Even with a 20Mb upload it would not be possible as its all to do with overheads