PDA

View Full Version : Counselling

Halcyon
23-09-2008, 19:47
Hello,

I feel at the moment that a lot has been going on in my life and that I can't stop thinking about things before I go to sleep and that I am going crazy thinking way too much during the day.

I am trying to deal with my relationship basically ending in mid air and although some people may say I should just move on, there are so many unanswered things, feelings I have, and 'what if' situations that they are driving me insane.

I feel like I can't talk to anyone as friends and family all have their own protective views and I just need someone I don't know to talk to.

I've never been to any counselling before but feel like it may help but don't know what to expect. I'm kind of nervous and not sure what to do.
I was looking at 'Relate' who do counselling.

I just want to talk to someone. I don't know if it is to get an outsiders opinion or something. I don't know.
I just never thought of myself going for some counselling.

I guess this post is to ask if anyone else has had counselling and if it helped, what to expect, that sort of thing.

Thanks,

halcyon.

Maggy
23-09-2008, 19:58
My daughter received some whilst at uni and has been seeing another counsellor since.She says it has helped enormously and helped her sort out what she does want in life..It certainly can't hurt to try.:)

Halcyon
23-09-2008, 20:05
Thankyou for your reply.

I guess it is the initial going for it that I'm nervous about taking that step.
But I know it could probably help me deal with everything that is going on and help me put things into perspective hopefully.

joglynne
23-09-2008, 20:09
The only contact I have have had with a counsellor was when our son had School Phobia at age 11 and for him it was a dead loss. I would think that you will hear both good and bad reports as I think a lot depends upon the quality of the counsellor.

I have found this site, British Association Counselling for Psychotherapy (http://www.bacp.co.uk/information/therapy.php) which seems to explain how to get, and what to expect from counselling,

Kymmy
23-09-2008, 20:31
Sometimes a friend who will actually sit and listen is more beneficial than a counsellor

SMHarman
23-09-2008, 20:31
I would think that you will hear both good and bad reports as I think a lot depends upon the quality of the counsellor. Which like any other relationship that gets personal is a key ingredient. So as with relationships if one counseller does not work out, don't be afraid to try another.

Halcyon
23-09-2008, 20:36
Thankyou for all your replies.
This is good advice and I will definately check out the links mentioned.

I know I could talk to a close friend but I feel that I need a fresh opinion, someone who doesnt know anything about the situation I guess.

Maggy
23-09-2008, 20:38
Sometimes a friend who will actually sit and listen is more beneficial than a counsellor

Sometimes as Halcyon already said it is better to talk to a stranger who has no viewpoint either way and can offer the comfort of neutrality when offering advice or suggestions..Even the longest truest friendship is prone to judgemental nuances from time to time. ;)

Tezcatlipoca
23-09-2008, 20:40
Have you thought about asking at your GP surgery?

I saw a counsellor a couple of times at Uni, & arranged it via seeing my GP (went to the GP with depression).

aliferste
23-09-2008, 20:46
Same answer as Matt D - go and see your GP - they can refer you to a local free counselling service.

Nothing wrong with going to see a counsellor - if you lived in New York you would be strange not to have one ;) (seriously)

WHISTLED
23-09-2008, 20:49
We send staff quite often, seems to help.. Always manage to sort myself out personally, helps to think how small your own probs are compared to some others.

Halcyon
23-09-2008, 23:05
I thought about maybe seeing my GP.

I've been looking at the Relate website and they seem to deal with relationships, feeling low, not knowing what to do next, that kind of thing.

I'm going to look in town tomorrow and see what there is.

Thanks for all the replies. They are encouraging and in some way make me feel a little less worried about going as I felt strange at times as to whether I should and what it is like.

Thankyou. :tu:

WHISTLED
23-09-2008, 23:11
Should go to GP but expect a wait, upto 6 months to see someone...

PeteTheMusicGuy
24-09-2008, 09:14
I went through my GP a few years back to get refered to one

Russ
24-09-2008, 09:20
You could go private - I did. Many counsellors charge according to means and my one only charged me £15 per session. Have a look around for therapists too - they usually offer a free initial consultation to see if therapy is right for you.

I chose a hypnotherapist - that's not to say he used hypnosis and in fact he didn't as I strongly object to it. But he used lots of other methods to help me. Get the Yellow Pages out and phone around, check what they can do and what they offer.

Don't expect overnight cures and me sceptical of anyone who claims they can help you with a few sessions.

LondonRoad
24-09-2008, 12:37
A lot of good advice here. The most important thing is that you want to talk. You could try more than one of the options. Good luck whatever you decide.

Caff
24-09-2008, 12:57
You could go private - I did. Many counsellors charge according to means and my one only charged me £15 per session. Have a look around for therapists too - they usually offer a free initial consultation to see if therapy is right for you.

I chose a hypnotherapist - that's not to say he used hypnosis and in fact he didn't as I strongly object to it. But he used lots of other methods to help me. Get the Yellow Pages out and phone around, check what they can do and what they offer.

Don't expect overnight cures and me sceptical of anyone who claims they can help you with a few sessions.

I would disagree, Russ - if another agency: say a GP, and a counsellor via a GP, were to become involved it could lead to clashes of opinion and expertise. One agency or the other may decide to decline further treatment.

And:

Too right!

I'd say - accept all help that is offered - and in the end the choice is yours, Halcyon, as to which you find beneficial.

Russ
24-09-2008, 13:01
I would disagree, Russ - if another agency: say a GP, and a counsellor via a GP, were to become involved it could lead to clashes of opinion and expertise. One agency or the other may decide to decline further treatment.

Oh yeah of course, I'm only going on my own experiences. But it was either 9 months on the NHS or in 3 days privately.

Caff
24-09-2008, 13:11
Oh yeah of course, I'm only going on my own experiences. But it was either 9 months on the NHS or in 3 days privately.

Get your point and am glad I was 'luckier'. :)