PDA

View Full Version : 21ST CN and Virgin Media

xspeedyx
22-09-2008, 19:03
I know I am right but my mate thinks he is as BT's 21st CN got anything to do with our 50Mb upgrade the the use of DOCSIS 3.0?

Any help would be great

Ignitionnet
22-09-2008, 19:29
I know I am right but my mate thinks he is as BT's 21st CN got anything to do with our 50Mb upgrade the the use of DOCSIS 3.0?

Any help would be great

I hope this isn't the same mate who gave you the info on 50Mbit stuff.

Nothing at all 21CN is a BT core network upgrade and replacement of legacy circuit based voice switching systems with VoIP.

brundles
22-09-2008, 20:14
About the only link I can see between 21CN and VM is that VM ADSL subs might eventually benefit.

Still nothing to do with DOCSIS3 of 50meg though...

Edit: Unless your mate is trying to suggest VM only installed DOCSIS3 and the 50meg tier in response to 21CN?

Zhadnost
22-09-2008, 20:17
AFAICT the related 21CN WBC product is basically ADSL2 upgrades for BT Wholesale.

popper
22-09-2008, 20:33
if i understand it right the 21CN allows BT to move over to pure IP networking so saving money, how your friend can link 21Cn and Docsis3 i dont know, can you be more clear on the conversation and clarify what it is your friend is trying to say?

perhaps we might then get a better base for comment....

Ignitionnet
22-09-2008, 21:05
21CN in itself is a migration to an all IP/MPLS backbone, removal of the legacy ATM network, removal of System X, etc, and connection of all customers to MSANs which route voice calls via soft switches.

One of the things this migration allows is the release of the WBC interconnect product, and with it ADSL2+ over BT Wholesale network as they can carry it over pure IP rather than having to backhaul over ATM.

The main driver behind 21CN is as popper said to save remove legacy systems and have a single lower maintenance IP network. It's costing BT billions to do the migration but they anticipate cost savings of 10 figures a year.

xspeedyx
23-09-2008, 10:52
My mate was trying to say that all our broadband goes throu the BT exchanges which is incorrect he was saying until we can upgrade to 21st CN we cant supply 50Mb however I am aware we have our own network seperate to BT using UBR's which are been upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0

brundles
23-09-2008, 11:28
Sounds like he's getting confused about VM Cable vs VM ADSL.

xspeedyx
23-09-2008, 11:52
Thats I was thinking

PeteTheMusicGuy
23-09-2008, 12:18
21CN is BT basically upgrading the core of the network to IP. Saving them a lot of money on maintaining the legacy stuff

It would also mean faster ADSL for BT and any other ISP who uses BTs network via openreach to provide their own customers broadband. I think it will be able to offer up to 24meg rather than the current up to 8 meg

It should also improve the general quality of the phone service as well and BT may be bale to bring new functionality on board to that as well.

BT were talking about a while back things like customers being able to apply select services on demand to their account without having to phone CS