PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Ethernet Connection.

WilliamBQStar
19-09-2008, 16:40
Hi i'm new here - I'm sure there's help out there - My problem - I am using an ntl: home 200 modem - with a Samsung V25 laptop which work well together via a USB connection - However i have had the idea to go Wireless and have bought all the stuff only to fall at the 1st hurdle.-When i try to replace the USB connection with an Ethernet cable supplied by NTL - Zilch ( and i have followed the guide on the Virgin web site ) - it just says no Internet connection ??????

Raistlin
19-09-2008, 16:44
When swapping from USB to Ethernet do the following:

1. Power off Modem
2. Power off Computer
3. Disconnect USB, connect Ethernet Computer > Router, Router > Modem
4. Power up Modem, wait 5 minutes
5. Power up Router, wait 5 minutes
6. Power up Computer, try connection now

Let us know if that doesn't work.

WilliamBQStar
19-09-2008, 16:54
Thanks for that Rob - i haven't progressed to trying the Router yet - i am just trying to get the Modem and Computer to talk to each other - Does your advice still apply ?

Raistlin
19-09-2008, 16:56
Yep, when swapping from USB to Ethernet you need to power cycle all the devices in the chain.

It may be something else, but this is the best place to start - let us know how you get on :tu:

---------- Post added at 16:56 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Sorry, where are my manners?

:welcome: to Cable Forum :)

WilliamBQStar
19-09-2008, 19:08
Thanks for the welcome Rob - have tried with no luck - back with USB - Do you think it is something to do with the Ethernet card in the computer ?

Raistlin
19-09-2008, 19:16
When you connet the modem and computer do you get a light on the card itself (probably right next to where you're plugging the cable in)?

I would imagine you should also get a light on the modem to say that it's connected via Ethernet (have to confess that I don't have a cable modem so I can't say for sure).

Have you tried a different cable?

If you go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections can you see if the network connection in there is enabled/disabled? Also have a look at the 'status' and see if you're getting an IP address when connected to the modem.

I would also try pinging the modem when it's connected. Start > Run > CMD. Type:

ping <modemIP>

And hit enter.

The problem is that I can't remember what the IP of the modem should be :dunce:, hopefully someone else will be along soon who can tell you (and possibly offer some more advice).

SteevieNiteHeat
19-09-2008, 20:31
modem address: 192.168.100.1 :)
THT

WilliamBQStar
19-09-2008, 21:50
Brilliant - i went Start/Control Panel/Network Connections and found one that was disabled - My Ethernet Connection now works - Thanks for your help - Brilliant - Now to Wireless !

Raistlin
19-09-2008, 22:16
Cool.

I'm guessing then that the VM USB setup disc may have disabled it.

Anyway, glad you're sorted - let us know if you get stuck with the wireless :tu:

Even if you don't get stuck with the wireless don't forget to secure it properly ;)

Stabhappy
19-09-2008, 22:16
Very odd that your ethernet controller would have been disabled.

Oh well, enjoy the wifi experience.

As a personal note, any wifi issues can normally be resolved by setting the wireless channel to another.

whydoIneedatech
19-09-2008, 22:27
That happens a lot with legacy USB connections and we have to take the customer to the network connections page to re enable the NIC.