PDA

View Full Version : 2 lines not possible !!

maureen2317
17-09-2008, 17:13
Hi,
just wondered if any1 had a similar problem or maybe a solution.
I have a Virgin 20mb line that im quite happy with. But have 4 boys that are xbox live mad. Basically the 20mb cant cope.
So ive rang Virgin and said im willing to pay for another extra line to be installed and ill pay the additional monthly fee. I have been told its not possible as only 1 line or modem is allowed per household. I asked if the 2nd line could go in my wifes name and was told no too.
Surely a mutiple occupancy hose is allowed more than 1 internet line.
Ive started to browse other isp but most seem to require a Bt phone line, which i havent got. So instaed of Virgin gaining my extra subscription they could be loosing my whole package.
Any solutions?.

AbyssUnderground
17-09-2008, 17:18
Tell them upstairs is rented out, and they should then lease you a second line. Many people have done this no problem.

maureen2317
17-09-2008, 17:21
So when i ring do i pretend to be some1 else?. Im sure they will think im trying to pull some sort of scam Lol

D.Casey
17-09-2008, 18:31
So when i ring do i pretend to be some1 else?. Im sure they will think im trying to pull some sort of scam Lol

I dont think you should do that as the bill will still be in your names.

20MB line should be more than enough for x-box connections? Ive been round my brothers & his 3 kids all use the 20mb vm connection via the router & he's using it at the same time for warcraft (pc).
Is the problem your going over your daily usage & getting capped?

popper
17-09-2008, 18:51
you miss the point D.casey, when a customer has no other option but to lie to get the Virgin Media cable service provider to actually get them to provide a second Broadband modem(or a third, the reasonable limit the spec can provide on one single split cable to the green box in the street) service the customer ACTUALLY WANTS TO PAY THEM FOR, theres something VERY WRONG in the executive office and middle managements corporate thinking.

theres a perfectly good cable modem built into every single STB you use thats already powered and pluged into the UBRs right now.

that STB CM can provide 4 Mbit/sD 512k+U and people in the exC&W area's are infact still using this exact setup in some cases, so its proven to work, you just send it the existing activation config already on the system.

HOWEVER VM have set a policy that you must now deactivate this option and move over to a self contained stand alone CM, and power that as a seperate bit of kit, and YOU CANT HAVE that active and a separate stand alone CM active at the same time on the same account due to this official Virgin Media policy, madness....

all that clear extra profit just thrown away for no good reason.

maureen2317
17-09-2008, 19:04
I dont think you should do that as the bill will still be in your names.

20MB line should be more than enough for x-box connections? Ive been round my brothers & his 3 kids all use the 20mb vm connection via the router & he's using it at the same time for warcraft (pc).
Is the problem your going over your daily usage & getting capped?

Are you sure. I dont know of any1s 20mb connection that can handle the upload speeds required to keep up 3 xbox's and a pc game too.

Ive sent customer services a small note via contact us to see if there is a way passed the red tape.

BenMcr
17-09-2008, 19:21
There is no way around it. Virgin will supply 1 connection (whether STB BB or modem BB) per property.

popper
17-09-2008, 19:21
put simply its the upload/download ratio that kills your familys playability when its all going online at the same time and demanding its share of very limited upload bandwidth.

your quite right, the 20 MBit package only gives you 768kbit upload max and once STM kicks in it drops down to a Pitiful 192kbit (not even good enough for a single good quality webcam streamed video to your relatives online elsewere), and thats the best upload speed they provide.

your option to try and get a seperate stand alone cable modem service out of VM is a good one in your case, as you will then have double the above upload ratio No's to play with and you can spit the devices between them.

but your going to have to lie to a real person to do it officially, no "contact us " will ever get you what you want, that being Pay for a second VM BB service you want to use as you see fit.

Maggy
17-09-2008, 19:23
Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind the one connection per household only? :erm:

Fatec
17-09-2008, 19:31
Can anyone explain to me the reasoning behind the one connection per household only? :erm:

It's because of the new billing system, quite simply it is that advanced it cannot handle or work out 2 different billing setups :rolleyes:

BenMcr
17-09-2008, 19:33
More than likely internet capacity planning.

e.g. Virgin/ntl/telewest will know that there are 1000 physical properties in an area, so there will 1000 internet connections. they will then plan to say that may mean 1000 20Mb connection and plan the pipe to carry that

If then they suddenly change the rules and allow 2 modems per property that may mean 2000 20Mb connection and the pipe is suddenly too small

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:32 ----------

It's because of the new billing system, quite simply it is that advanced it cannot handle or work out 2 different billing setups :rolleyes:

ICOMS can handle two internet connections quite easily (as show by some the issues after the May SABS migration ;), just as it can with two STBs or two phone lines.

However I don't know if either CDFE or IIP can cope or were designed for multiple connections

popper
17-09-2008, 19:33

incompetence.

incompetence in the executive teams.

incompetence in the old accounting programming.

and potentially incompetence in the new accounting system that i assume someone tryed to include expandability in this new system to allow for more than one CM per account and yet 3 STBS (with internal CMs inactive but perfectly useable by sending the existing BB STB config) :rolleyes:

and some incompetent has just not realised they are loosing a lot of potenial new profit for no extra effort right now....:erm:

[edit] OK Ben, substantial effort, is perhaps better.

we allready know provisioning for puting peoples MACs etc on the system costs something like $8-10 (£4-£5) but its already on the system and already been payed for in the case of the powered but inactive STB CMs OC...:dozey:

BenMcr
17-09-2008, 19:42
It's not no extra effort. Even if it is technically possible on the system there would have to be backhaul and ubr upgrades to deal with the extra services.

Fatec
17-09-2008, 19:45
It's not no extra effort. Even if it is technically possible on the system there would have to be backhaul and ubr upgrades to deal with the extra services.

They managed fine before the billing merger :p:

BenMcr
17-09-2008, 19:53
Even then it wasn't company policy but people did it anyway.

Might explain why there were capacity issues in places

P.S. I'm not saying that two modems might not be a good thing to lever extra revenue out of customers in the future, but I'd much rather Virgin get the ones they have working without things like STM first ;)

maureen2317
17-09-2008, 19:55
Sorry to go off-topic slightly but say VM so no (which seems they probably will) what are my options?. The other ISP seem to require a BT phone line. As i obviously have a VM one i would be reluctant to have 2 phone providers. Are there any that dont require BT lines.

BenMcr
17-09-2008, 19:57
Not unless you have a mobile broadband service

Slyder
17-09-2008, 20:43
Just 2 things really.

1. We have 2 accounts where I live (mum has 4meg on a 120 modem and I have 20meg on a 255 modem) We also hve a STB each for our accounts. :erm:

2. 20meg should be more then enough. I run a pc, laptop, xbox live, ds, wii, psp and have no problems on a decent router.

Sorry to go off-topic slightly but say VM so no (which seems they probably will) what are my options?. The other ISP seem to require a BT phone line. As i obviously have a VM one i would be reluctant to have 2 phone providers. Are there any that dont require BT lines.

I would suspect your not allowed 2 accounts personally, but if it was in another name and they rented a room of you, that should go through. I told them I rent this bedroom and got a wayleave form sent to my folks.

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 20:50
Just 2 things really.

1. We have 2 accounts where I live (mum has 4meg on a 120 modem and I have 20meg on a 255 modem) We also hve a STB each for our accounts. :erm:

2. 20meg should be more then enough. I run a pc, laptop, xbox live, ds, wii, psp and have no problems on a decent router.
This scenario has not been possible since the April/May NTL billing migration, you can now only have one modem per residential property ( excluding all legacy deals such as this one )

If you want 2 modems per property now then you will need a BT line and set up another account on a phone line and keep your existing Virginmedia Cable connection.

maureen2317
17-09-2008, 20:55
What about all the modems on ebay?. Excuse the ignorance. They say they are falshed or something. Not sure what any of it means but im guessing its leagal as ebay would of removed them otherwise. Could this be an option for me?.

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 21:04
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you buy a second hand modem of Ebay then you will be receiving stolen goods, because at all times the modem remains the property of Virginmedia, also the modem will not work as it cannot be added to your account by any one but Virginmedia, and therefore its only use would be as a paperweight.
----------------------------------------------------------

popper
17-09-2008, 21:04
Not unless you have a mobile broadband service

your forgetting fixed wimax broadband such as the west manchester summerfield branded packages if your in that area for instance.

3G mobile does give you around 4 Mbit download and 200Kbit upload that i tested on the lads orange school provided kit, you would have to make sure you are on a real unlimited FIXED BB connection though or run the risk of massive bills for per Mbit download/upload OC.

thats were wimax will be far better they are fixed cost per month data pipes .. and potentially even using a real 1/1 ratio and thats a very good thing ;)

the other options are close your Virgin Media phoneline but keeping the single Cable modem account active and use that saved money to get a BT phoneline (dont get BT retail BB unless you want phorm spying on everythng you and your family buy and do online)installed and go for say Be* or Sky with one of their cheap TV/BB deals.

or get two BT phonelines fitted that are stated for BB use then get 2 BB accounts for your use of all the 3 Xbox260s and PC kit you want to use at the same time.

any more than this one time fitting and monthy running costs and your probably better looking at wireless point to (multi)point WISPs (wireless ISPs) and direct to data center WiMax, i dont know the current monthy costs of any service like that wereever you might be?, but if you can collect up several locals to contribute and share then it makes it really viable costs wise today,the wired internet provider isnt required today if you shop around and its getting cheaper by the month.

if Virgin Media cant or wont provide you with what you want to pay for, then these are some of your options (but your going to need to get a little tech help as noones started any small business around supplying fitting this wireless 3rd party kit as yet).

maureen2317
17-09-2008, 21:09

If you buy a second hand modem of Ebay then you will be receiving stolen goods, because at all times the modem remains the property of Virginmedia, also the modem will not work as it cannot be added to your account by any one but Virginmedia, and therefore its only use would be as a paperweight.

So if they are illegal why have they not been removed and the people sending them prosecuted. Also how come they all have positive feedback if they dont actually work?
Sorry just desperate to find answers to questions

piggy
17-09-2008, 21:12
two/three modems per property is still possible it just needs a variation on the address eg room 1 at.....normal address, this still goes on in the student areas all the time

Maggy
17-09-2008, 21:14
All I can say is it's extremely short sighted of Virgin Media...and to the OP that it would appear you may have to wait for 50MB (at an increased cost) or go for a BT line and the VM 20MB or even no VM at all...I'm pretty sure any other ISP will give you what you want...

If you leave VM be sure to tell them why.;)

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 21:19
Your best bet is to get a wireless router as it gives you 4 Ethernet ports you can use to connect 4 separate devices to your modem and it is legal, you do not have to use it wirelessly just leave the antenna off it.

If you buy a modem of Ebay and it does not work who can you complain to? Virgin? no because the modem is not on your account, the seller? no because they have your money, Ebay? no because they will sell anything that comes with a disclaimer in the sellers terms and conditions.

The is only one option out of the 2 above that will not loose you money, the router option.

The are 6 wireless routers listed on this PC World link below priced at £29.99 with a minimum 12 months guarantee.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0217659095.122168251 8@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladefejdkhkhcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=ProductList&category_oid=-28361&fm=13&sm=1&tm=1&show_all=true

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

two/three modems per property is still possible it just needs a variation on the address eg room 1 at.....normal address, this still goes on in the student areas all the time
Try and get one in a normal residential property;)

piggy
17-09-2008, 21:26
Your best bet is to get a wireless router as it gives you 4 Ethernet ports you can use to connect 4 separate devices to your modem and it is legal, you do not have to use it wirelessly just leave the antenna off it.

If you buy a modem of Ebay and it does not work who can you complain to? Virgin? no because the modem is not on your account, the seller? no because they have your money, Ebay? no because they will sell anything that comes with a disclaimer in the sellers terms and conditions.

The is only one option out of the 2 above that will not loose you money, the router option.

The are 6 wireless routers listed on this PC World link below priced at £29.99 with a minimum 12 months guarantee.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0217659095.122168251 8@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladefejdkhkhcflgceggdhhmdgmh.0&page=ProductList&category_oid=-28361&fm=13&sm=1&tm=1&show_all=true

the student houses are normal propertys and it happens all the time, dont get me wrong i wish it wouldnt it would make my life easier but i checked with the salesman who was door knocking only last week a simple adjustment to the address works everytime.

Slyder
17-09-2008, 21:29
This scenario has not been possible since the April/May NTL billing migration, you can now only have one modem per residential property ( excluding all legacy deals such as this one )

If you want 2 modems per property now then you will need a BT line and set up another account on a phone line and keep your existing Virginmedia Cable connection.

I had mine setup this month, but my mum still has an NTL account number, so thats probably why then. Thanks for explaining :)

maureen2317
17-09-2008, 21:35

It wont matter wether i have the best router and a million ports if the speed isnt enough then surely thats not the issue.
For the record though i do have the 20mb line to a 4 port router. 1 port for 1 xbox downstairs, 2nd port to a pc downstairs and another port that goes to a network plug that send the signals through my house wiring system. The kids have a plug each upstairs and use them between xbox's and pc's. Like i said originally 4 xbox's and 5 pc's. Obviously they are not all on all of the time. But its not uncommon to have 3 xbox's and a pc or 2 on at 1 time.
The network plugs helped greatly as the wireless just were terrible.

popper
17-09-2008, 21:38

more assumptions again i see WDINAT, i refer you to
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33638662-additional-modem.html#post34637237 :rolleyes:

AmAtoL
17-09-2008, 21:42
Unfortunately I had to get a BT line installed because they wouldn't give me another line. UK Online is very good actually, but I would've rather just had a second modem.

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 21:50
more assumptions again i see WDINAT, i refer you to
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33638662-additional-modem.html#post34637237 :rolleyes:
No assumption just fact from an employee, if you use a chipped modem its illegal and Virgin will not add a modem you have purchased from a third party to your account, plus you cannot purchase a modem from Virgin

Oh and the cost of trying to take them to court with the legal team they employ!!

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:48 ----------

the student houses are normal propertys and it happens all the time, dont get me wrong i wish it wouldnt it would make my life easier but i checked with the salesman who was door knocking only last week a simple adjustment to the address works everytime.

The main problem with that is your giving someone a bit of hope which in all probability will be snatched away the moment they call sales with the request.

They may possibly get away with it in student land, but in a normal residential street such as mine or almost anybody elses, very doubtful.

Virgin stopped multiple modems back in April/May and if BenMcr reads this he will verify as this is more his line and has posted previously on this issue.

BenMcr
17-09-2008, 21:56
Ok let me be completely clear on this once and for all. And I asked the Housefiles team in VM to confirm this is correct.

Where ntl have previously set up multiple accounts, even though it is only one address, at the moment these may continue if Sales aren't paying attention. However when these multiple accounts addresses are identifed, the duplicates are being closed. Eventually none of these will exist.

Where there is an address with one account, additional accounts WILL NOT be set up unless it has been split into Flats where each has it's own front door and bathroom (therefore being classed as a seperate dwelling and not houseshare/bedsit)

Even where the address is multiple flats, a new address will only be created after a site survey to confirm serviceability. It would also be verified against the Royal Mail database

The days of 'Oh we'll just create a Room 1' are VERY over!

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 21:58
Ok let me settle this once and for.

Where ntl have previously set up multiple accounts, even though it is only one address, at the moment these may continue. However when these multiple accounts addresses are identifed, the duplicate are being closed. Eventually none of these will exist.

Where there is an address with one account, unless it has been split into Flats where each has it's own front door and bathroom (therefore being classed as a seperate dwelling and not houseshare) additional accounts WILL NOT be set up

Even where the address is multiple flats, a new address will only be created after a site survey to confirm serviceability.

Thank you Ben as this is very much more your line of expertise;)

BenMcr
17-09-2008, 22:03
Virgin stopped multiple modems back in April/May and if BenMcr reads this he will verify as this is more his line and has posted previously on this issue.
Neither Virgin or either ntl or telewest ever started multiple modems

It was only due to lax control on ntl's part that allowed multiple modems to be activated in a property. It was never an official product

Fatec
17-09-2008, 22:08

:rolleyes: They will work, still illegal though.

Stopped multiple modems? no they didnt, they did a telnet attack on modems which still had the default login/pass, i still see and know people with 4+modems running (mainly for upload speeds)

popper
17-09-2008, 22:37
Ok let me be completely clear on this once and for all. And I asked the Housefiles team in VM to confirm this is correct.

Where ntl have previously set up multiple accounts, even though it is only one address, at the moment these may continue if Sales aren't paying attention. However when these multiple accounts addresses are identifed, the duplicates are being closed. Eventually none of these will exist.

Where there is an address with one account, additional accounts WILL NOT be set up unless it has been split into Flats where each has it's own front door and bathroom (therefore being classed as a seperate dwelling and not houseshare/bedsit)

Even where the address is multiple flats, a new address will only be created after a site survey to confirm serviceability. It would also be verified against the Royal Mail database

so the official Virgin Media stance is currently "incompetence rules the day",
and they are actively going to remove these existing sources of real income eventually.

they are doing this without giving a viable or wanted replacement the paying Virgin Media consumer might want to pay for in its place :rolleyes:

so due to this restated official incompetence policy, ANYONE thats paying Virgin Media for more than one single cable modem BB connection in ANY single property needs to start replacing these cable modems with other viable Broadband options from other vendures As Soon As Possible, or run the risk of loosing their current broadband connection for good.:rolleyes:

dont you think you should be having a very serious word or two with upper management there Ben ? as you seem to realise they are all showing massive incompetence with an official remove the income policy like that.

who in their right minds throws away REAL existing regular core company income for no reason whatsoever ,other than to clean up an accounting database that perhaps cant be expanded to cope due to someone specing it wrong (incompetence)in the first place :shocked:

what incompetent manager speced this newest VM accounting package in the first place and didnt allow for the old never mind any of the new forms of income Vm might want to bill customers for later ?

do the virgin media shareholders know about this incompetence in these high places ?, what do/would they think :rolleyes:

Stuart
17-09-2008, 22:45

If that were the case, it would not be able to cope with blocks of flats.

Maggy
17-09-2008, 22:46
What a ridiculous state of affairs...

So to get this straight the only reason that there must be only one connection per household is because of the inability to add more than one connection to the billing account of a residence?

Is that the ONLY reason?Was there some thought that someone might be running a business if more than one connection per residence/household was permitted? :erm:

Fatec
17-09-2008, 22:47
If that were the case, it would not be able to cope with blocks of flats.

Why? different flat numbers, thus different names, thus system is ok.

The current setup they have, the system gets very confused when you have 2 names under the same house number and completely screws the bill up :)

popper
17-09-2008, 23:17
Why? different flat numbers, thus different names, thus system is ok.

The current setup they have, the system gets very confused when you have 2 names under the same house number and completely screws the bill up :)

LOL the logic of the wrongly speced accounting system screws up, so loosing income now and again , to be reclaimed later perhaps.

so some incompetent comes along and his/her logic screws up so loosing income for Good every single month... never to be seen again as VM wount give you more than one single modem for any price :angel:

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

Neither Virgin or either ntl or telewest ever started multiple modems

It was only due to lax control on ntl's part that allowed multiple modems to be activated in a property. It was never an official product

OC what you call lax control , NTL might have called it making more real official profit

Fatec
17-09-2008, 23:18
LOL the logic of the wrongly speced accounting system screws up, so loosing income now and again.

so some incompetent comes along and his/her logic screws up so loosing income for Good every single month... :angel:

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

OC what you call lax control , NTL might have called it making more real official profit

Ironically the old system have no problem with it.

This new system is supposed to be "improved" :D

BenMcr
17-09-2008, 23:26
so the official Virgin Media stance is currently "incompetence rules the day",
and they are actively going to remove these existing sources of real income eventually.

they are doing this without giving a viable or wanted replacement the paying Virgin Media consumer might want to pay for in its place :rolleyes:

so due to this restated official incompetence policy, ANYONE thats paying Virgin Media for more than one single cable modem BB connection in ANY single property needs to start replacing these cable modems with other viable Broadband options from other vendures As Soon As Possible, or run the risk of loosing their current broadband connection for good.:rolleyes:
Ok, obviously I wasn't clear enough.

Where duplicate accounts are identified THAT ARE NOT ACTIVE, they will be closed. Active accounts will not be closed.

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

The new system has no problem with it either.

Fatec
17-09-2008, 23:31

That's funny, as i know a few who still have 2 connections under one household and the new billing system constantly screws it up :p:

BenMcr
17-09-2008, 23:34
As I have already said, I am not against Virgin offering more than one modem per account. But it has to be consistent, and all support, sales, install and cutomer staff trained on it.

The number of times when it was done unofficially on ntl, install engineers would cut services to someone else in the property because they were not expecting two sets of active services

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

That's funny, as i know a few who still have 2 connections under one household and the new billing system constantly screws it up :p:
That isn't the billing system screwing it up. It will be agents going 'why are there two broadband accounts, we don't do that, I'll fix it'

Fatec
17-09-2008, 23:38
As I have already said, I am not against Virgin offering more than one modem per account. But it has to be consistent, and all support, sales, install and cutomer staff trained on it.

From what i recall, everyone apart from call centre staff knew/trained on it, which is weird really.

The number of times when it was done unofficially on ntl, install engineers would cut services to someone else in the property because they were not expecting two sets of active services

Most engineers were smart enough to ask, kelly contractors on the other hand ;)

That isn't the billing system screwing it up. It will be agents going 'why are there two broadband accounts, we don't do that, I'll fix it'

Nah, it's the billing system, checked it myself.

popper
17-09-2008, 23:44
What a ridiculous state of affairs...

So to get this straight the only reason that there must be only one connection per household is because of the inability to add more than one connection to the billing account of a residence?

Is that the ONLY reason?Was there some thought that someone might be running a business if more than one connection per residence/household was permitted? :erm:

yep, thats it exactly.

we cant pay for another BB connnection from VM because they dont want our extra money unless its anything BUT another bb connection as they cant be bothered to find a billing system that can allow the flexability to you to officially buy that second service if you want it.

some might say VM are in effect helping the chippers business grow as they dont seem to have this not taking your money for what you want to pay for problem :angel:

BenMcr
18-09-2008, 00:01
Well looks like we are now going around in circles.

As it stands, there is no official way to get another modem. It doesn't really matter whether it is the billing system, company policy, or the pixies at the bottom of the garden, you cannot ask for one.

popper
18-09-2008, 00:06
Ok, obviously I wasn't clear enough.

Where duplicate accounts are identified THAT ARE NOT ACTIVE, they will be closed. Active accounts will not be closed.

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:26 ----------

Ok Ben your changing the tune but thats fine moving on...

or perhaps not :D.incompetence in that someone in accounting might find a duplicate as in two or more entrys that were at some point in time active at the same address and YET rather than ring up the active account in front of them and ask AC holder if they were infact at some point running more than one single modem.

and rather than simply offer these account holders the option to take an official second BB connection and so help fill in this inactive VM account with real new official income.

they want to just delete it .....rather than fill it with a viable income on an already setup account with the approval of the account holder.

not a very effective way to easy increase your corporate income for nearly free, a simple phone call and some right thinking logic to make everyone happy, not least the end users thats been given the option to increase their BB connections such as the OP in this thread for instance.

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

As it stands, there is no official way to get another modem. It doesn't really matter whether it is the billing system, company policy, or the pixies at the bottom of the garden, you cannot ask for one.

what! we cant even ask now, where does it say that in the current VM contract :angel:

BenMcr
18-09-2008, 00:10
Ok bye from me on this. If all that is left is to start twisting what people post, then I reckon the thread has run its course

popper
18-09-2008, 00:30
the thread has run its course when the OP has found a viable option to her problem , and even then its still open to others that may need its cover points in the future and add their own, unless someone comes along and closes it OC

in what way "twisting what people post" ?,thats why the joke :angel: is there , nothing twisting about it , you just mis spoke, we all do it sometime no big deal.

i assume you ment you cant have it as they dont want to give it to you, asking is never a problem OC.

to be true i dont even know why you bring up "duplicate accounts " as we are talking about totally seperate accounts as far as the system and the provisioned cable MAC is concerned.

yes these accounts have the same address and that might be considered almost a duplicate but you cant assume two duplicate accounts names as being the same person at least from an accounting program logic POV.

Maggy
18-09-2008, 00:36

Why?Surely if we never ask we can never get VM to change their minds...;)

I just can't believe that it just about the billing issue.There must be more to it than that...

popper
18-09-2008, 01:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData2 http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33638810-2-lines-not-possible-page-3.html#post34639175)

that being the case then, it still points to corporate management incompetence when they pick option 2:.

1: offer any current and existing VM customer such as the OP :welcome: btw,AmAtol me and many others here as an easy pickings existing captive collective and so its cheap for all concerned, 2 or more CMs, be it stand alone or the internal STBs CM were its proven to already work and meets our wishes for upload/download ration OC.

hell even offer a 3 to 2 type package the sales boys and girls would have a good time with that.....

if the current accounting system can cope as you state , remember, we could have 3 STBS and a stand alone CM, a total of 4 cable items on the old ex C&W system officially per single account, so 2 CMs and 2 STBS are not going to be any problem or 3 CMs and 1 STB come to that you seem to be implying?.

OR
2: stop any possibility of more than one single CM per single account and spend a load of cash for 3 US so called megastars to tell you your dumb and you should be giving VM all your spare cash for anything VM want to sell you EXCEPT more than 1 cable modem per building/account OC

SteevieNiteHeat
18-09-2008, 02:05
There is of course another thing the OP could do, call up ntl:telewest business and apply for a business broadband line!

A few months ago I did this as my brother is like me, gaming mad, and we found that the connection couldn't cope with 2 PC's gaming at the same time, was lagging all over the place, plus I'd just got a new job in IT where I had to connect to work and check stuff, set backups going and what-not, so he started paying for the 20Mb residential broadband, and I got the business broadband line, and even though he is on 20Mb, mine is rock steady and is much more stable than his!
I know its more money, but in our house we have 2 x STB and 1x20Mb residential BB and 1x10Mb business line, that all works wonderfully together!

maureen2317
18-09-2008, 09:57
Recieved a nice email this morning-

Thanks for contacting Virgin Media about getting additional Broadband
connection.

We're sorry to hear there's been some confusion about getting additional
Broadband connection. Please allow us to explain how it?s been worked
out.

We wish to inform you that to get the additional Broadband connection
you can add wireless router to your computer.

Wireless router has flexibility of sharing a single Broadband connection
to connect multiple computers and digital devices (up to 10 computers
wirelessly or up to 4 via Ethernet ports on the back of the router). Its
has full compatibility with Microsoft Vista.

The one off charges for wireless router is £40.00 and £7.50 as postal
charges. These charges will be added on your next bill.

Kindly send us the confirmation mail, if you wish to get the wireless
router and we will be glad to assists you further.

Did they actually read the information i sent?
I think not because i clearly stated i had a router otherwise how do they expect me to run 4 xbox's and 6 pc's.
I still find it amazing they will spend millions advertising products, trying to gain new customers, yet ones offering to pay get told no.

SteevieNiteHeat
18-09-2008, 12:13
Recieved a nice email this morning-

Thanks for contacting Virgin Media about getting additional Broadband
connection.

We're sorry to hear there's been some confusion about getting additional
Broadband connection. Please allow us to explain how it?s been worked
out.

We wish to inform you that to get the additional Broadband connection
you can add wireless router to your computer.

Wireless router has flexibility of sharing a single Broadband connection
to connect multiple computers and digital devices (up to 10 computers
wirelessly or up to 4 via Ethernet ports on the back of the router). Its
has full compatibility with Microsoft Vista.

The one off charges for wireless router is £40.00 and £7.50 as postal
charges. These charges will be added on your next bill.

Kindly send us the confirmation mail, if you wish to get the wireless
router and we will be glad to assists you further.

Did they actually read the information i sent?
I think not because i clearly stated i had a router otherwise how do they expect me to run 4 xbox's and 6 pc's.
I still find it amazing they will spend millions advertising products, trying to gain new customers, yet ones offering to pay get told no.

I doubt they actually read the full message no!

Like I said earlier, call up ntl:telewest and tell them that you work from home, and would like more information on the business bb package, it is a bit more expensive that standard bb, but this is the only way you will get 2 different broadband lines to your house without too much fuss and bother :)

Stuart
18-09-2008, 12:58
TBH. I find it surprising that VM won't do more than one connection to a house.

Yes, I know that it would require extra capacity, AFAIK, for most connections, all it would require in terms of hardware is a bit of extra cable, a splitter and another cable modem.

Apart from that, it could be very profitable for VM..

After all, BT appear to find installing multiple phone lines very profitable despite it actually being a lot more expensive for them to install.

whydoIneedatech
18-09-2008, 13:32
Maureen2317 you could always try http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/ they may offer a 2nd connection as SteevieNiteHeat (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/50751.html) has said above.

BenMcr (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/22422.html) is quite correct in what is now being offered by the residential side, even though some posters refuse to accept that is now the official line taken by the company.

Maybe if the company had not decided to merge the NTL billing with the Telewest billing 2 modems per household might have been still possible, but that is in the past and it does not really matter what people post on this matter, all that matters is that the company has now decided to no longer issue 2 modems per property and the is no going back only forwards.

---------------------------

Do not post any more "what if" or" but" posts, try complaining direct to the company at the address below.

----------------------------

General Enquiries,
Virgin Media,
PO Box 333,
Matrix Court,
Swansea.
SA7 9ZJ

So we can get back to you sooner, let us know details like your account number, address and contact number when you get in touch.

AbyssUnderground
18-09-2008, 23:37
Do not post any more "what if" or" but" posts, try complaining direct to the company at the address below.

And remember to send it recorded delivery...

Zhadnost
19-09-2008, 07:56
What no-one seems to have mentioned, is that the ntl:telewest business service has more upstream bandwidth (on the 20Mbit product you get 1Mbit rather than 0.75Mbit), and a much better SLA.

You also get a different (entirely UK based) support and options team. (IIRC).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you also don't get STMed and the traffic gets a higher priority,

You may be able to get away with changing to the business service rather than having both services.

(Business service costs more at £30, £40 and £50 for 4MBit, 10Mbit and 20Mbit respecively, so quite a lot more).

whydoIneedatech
19-09-2008, 08:13
What no-one seems to have mentioned, is that the ntl:telewest business service has more upstream bandwidth (on the 20Mbit product you get 1Mbit rather than 0.75Mbit), and a much better SLA.

You also get a different (entirely UK based) support and options team. (IIRC).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you also don't get STMed and the traffic gets a higher priority,

You may be able to get away with changing to the business service rather than having both services.

(Business service costs more at £30, £40 and £50 for 4MBit, 10Mbit and 20Mbit respecively, so quite a lot more).
I would ask Kymmy about the SLA as she had some issues with them over it, you get a 6 hour SLA for the Phones so a little bit of Smoke and Mirrors, but not for Broadband.

See here for details http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33638565-sla-business-internet.html

eth01
19-09-2008, 11:15

no. just policy.

Fatec
19-09-2008, 11:51
no. just policy.

Because the new billing system cannot handle it :rolleyes:

cook1984
19-09-2008, 21:23
I have two residential BB services at the same address, and it seems that VM are incapable of understanding this. Whenever I call them, every single time they without fail get the wrong connection. Due to this I currently have two lines at 20 meg instead of one at 20 and one at 2 (which is what I'm paying for).

I would point this out to them, but every time I tried to in the past I ended up with two 2 meg connections and I'm fed of up phoning them.

caroline
20-09-2008, 11:51
you can have two lines in one house , i had it

as long as its in different account names.

whydoIneedatech
20-09-2008, 12:20
you can have two lines in one house , i had it

as long as its in different account names.
That is no longer the case since the NTL billing migration in April/May this year, read the posts further up this thread for clarification.;)

junouk
20-09-2008, 14:09
i have 2 lines in my house got 2 modems on load ballance and v+ and samsung up stairs

BenMcr
20-09-2008, 14:57
i have 2 lines in my house got 2 modems on load ballance and v+ and samsung up stairs
And did you get those before May or after May 2008?

cook1984
20-09-2008, 19:12
If VM tell you that you can't have two modems at the same address, just sign up for an account in a different name and add "A" to your house number (e.g. No. 72A). Works for a lot of student houses.

BenMcr
20-09-2008, 20:16
Did you bother to read the thread at all? That will not work anymore!!!!!

piggy
21-09-2008, 19:24
Did you bother to read the thread at all? That will not work anymore!!!!!

i dont mind going round in circles.... it does its happening right now ive seen it, the salesmen wanting commission will always win

whydoIneedatech
21-09-2008, 21:43
i dont mind going round in circles.... it does its happening right now ive seen it, the salesmen wanting commission will always win
his way out of a job by mis selling a product that they know no longer exists.:D

cook1984
21-09-2008, 22:47
Just tell them "Flat 2" at your address, that will work. I know some students who did it recently.

BenMcr
21-09-2008, 23:31
Might work, if a Flat 2 has previously been set up before the billing migration.

Won't work if it hasn't

confucious
22-09-2008, 01:18
I haven't read all of this thread ao am probably talking rubbish - but are you getting the full speed from your existing connection?
Otherwise infanticide could be the answer....

piggy
22-09-2008, 18:08
his way out of a job by mis selling a product that they know no longer exists.:D

i dont think that bothers them, everytime they sell 20mb conx in student land that is a miss sell :D