PDA

View Full Version : my 10mb is poo around this time at nights

middlefinger
16-09-2008, 20:45
ran a speed test at 8.15 and was getting around 6mg

did another speed test at 8.30 and now getting just over 2mg

i've only been on 10mb for about a month, first 2wks was perfect 10mb constantly, now its like there just taking what im paying for to give others :confused: don't think i've done a speedtest this last 2wks that have got close to 10mb

I dont download anything really, except updates and the odd demo on ps3. kids play plenty of online pc games and stream music and youtube vids and i play ps3 online most nights.

is this enough to get stm'd?

really starting to regret upgrading to 10mb, 2mb was fine and never had any probs but thought 10mb would be even better, how wrong was I :mad:

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

ran a speed test at 8.15 and was getting around 6mg

did another speed test at 8.30 and now getting just over 2mg

i've only been on 10mb for about a month, first 2wks was perfect 10mb constantly, now its like there just taking what im paying for to give others :confused: don't think i've done a speedtest this last 2wks that have got close to 10mb

I dont download anything really, except updates and the odd demo on ps3. kids play plenty of online pc games and stream music and youtube vids and i play ps3 online most nights.

is this enough to get stm'd?

really starting to regret upgrading to 10mb, 2mb was fine and never had any probs but thought 10mb would be even better, how wrong was I :mad:

just done the speedtest using the ireland server and im upto 9mb, this is crazy, maybe the maiden and london servers are poo'ey.

why would it differer using a different server? (just curious how the speedtests work)

whydoIneedatech
16-09-2008, 21:09
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below.

Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files around 400/500 mb and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running> times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.

i.e : 250kbps X 8 = 2MB, 500kbps X 8 = 4MB, 1250kbps X 8 = 10MB, 2500kbps X 8 = 20MB
-----------------------------------------------------------

Kymmy
16-09-2008, 21:43
2Mb is the STM speed for a 10Mb connection, but sometimes congestion can also put you that low. When doing a quick speed test also check your upload speed... If you get 2Mb down but 500Kb up then it's congestion... Where as if you get 2Mb down and 192Kb up then it's more likely to be STM..

FreeYourTV
16-09-2008, 22:28
2Mb is the STM speed for a 10Mb connection, but sometimes congestion can also put you that low. When doing a quick speed test also check your upload speed... If you get 2Mb down but 500Kb up then it's congestion... Where as if you get 2Mb down and 192Kb up then it's more likely to be STM..

Hi

Can you please confirm what STM is?

When I was on 4 meg I consistently got almost 4.

Now on 10, it seems all over the place when I use speedtest

Today I have tested several times with speedtest as I thought my router may have gone dodgy, (I unplugged it for over a week whilst I was on holiday,) and my results are all over the place.

Highest today 9.6mb/s, lowest 1.03!

Upload is consistently 0.47 or 0.48. From the comment above by Kymmy, is this just congestion causing the issue?

I had an engineer booked for tomorrow but cancelled it this evening as it seemed ok again this afternoon.

Now it is poor again.

My cable modem is about 4 years old, and as I say the problem seems worse this week as I unplugged it for a week whilst on holiday, and plugged it in again yesterday.

Thanks

chickendippers
16-09-2008, 22:50
The speedtest sites are unreliable and can become busy with other people running speedtests. Run the tests suggested by whydoIneedatech (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/43553.html) and report back.

whydoIneedatech
17-09-2008, 08:58
Links to Virgin web pages on the subject of STM

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put> 192.168.100.1 password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream and the Upstream plus what model the modem is for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

middlefinger
17-09-2008, 13:51
Good replies guys, will check out the speedtest posted above tonight when I get home.

Yeah my upload speed is always around 460ish when I run the test so I don't think i've ever been stm'd.

Maybe its just the site and the servers that are busy and can't give a true reading then.

middlefinger
18-09-2008, 12:46
Well I did the speedtest by downloading the files

At 8pm I only managed to get 160kb a second, but later in the night I was back up to 1.2ish mb.

This is crazy, when I do the speedtests on speedtest.net my upload speed is always the same so it must be over subscription issues.

I hardly download anything and I only upgraded to 10mb as I thought it might of made my online gaming experience alittle better. I mays well of stayed on 2mb :mad:

Is there anything I can do or should I just keep complaining to virgin hoping they somehow sort the over subscription

whydoIneedatech
18-09-2008, 13:41
Well I did the speedtest by downloading the files

At 8pm I only managed to get 160kb a second, but later in the night I was back up to 1.2ish mb.

This is crazy, when I do the speedtests on speedtest.net my upload speed is always the same so it must be over subscription issues.

I hardly download anything and I only upgraded to 10mb as I thought it might of made my online gaming experience alittle better. I mays well of stayed on 2mb :mad:

Is there anything I can do or should I just keep complaining to virgin hoping they somehow sort the over subscription

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:40 ----------

Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put> 192.168.100.1 password and username are both root if required.

What I want you to post is the Downstream and the Upstream plus what model the modem is for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do the above then we can see what your modem is actually doing.

middlefinger
22-09-2008, 20:28
I have a new virgin 256 modem, its a little black number ;)

And my levels are as followed

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1000
Hardware Version : 1.9

Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 31.6 dB

Upstream Frequency : 46200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 51.0 dBmV

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600

These ok, i've took out the serial and mac numbers

Im a old ntl customer

whydoIneedatech
22-09-2008, 20:32
Your Downstream still appears to be to low, it would be better around zero, but if the connection is working OK then leave alone.

Pwillow
24-09-2008, 19:27
My internet connection is very slow at this time of night too,i'm on the XL package and have a Scientific Atlanta Webstar cable modem,here are the downstream and upstream details,hope someone can understand them,i don't know what to look for,thanks :)

Name
WebSTAR
Hardware Version
Software Version
v2.0.
Receive Power Level
-9.6 dBmV
Transmit Power Level
39.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status
Operational

Downstream Status
Operational
Downstream Frequency
331000000 Hz
Modulation
256QAM
Bit Rate
20480000 bits/sec
Power Level
-9.7 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio
34.8 dB

Upstream Status
Operational
Upstream Frequency
21300000 Hz
Modulation
16QAM
Bit Rate
768000 bits/sec
Power Level
39.0 dBmV

Axegrinder
24-09-2008, 19:29
Your power levels are within range for an ex telewest connection, just keep an eye on the downstream power though.

Pwillow
24-09-2008, 22:11
Thanks Axegrinder,much appreciated :)

Will keep an eye on the downstream power level.