PDA

View Full Version : Explain please ... How come VM's engineers are on Orange ????

clumsymum
16-09-2008, 11:14
Engineer came this morning to my TV STB (long story, other thread).

Anyway, when he had to ring in to register the box I enquired if he could get a signal, as I can't at home, on Vodafone. He said he could, that Orange coverage is pretty good round here.

So, how come they don't use their own service?
It certainly doesn't encourage me to look that way next time my contract to com,es up for renewal.

Chris
16-09-2008, 11:21
Engineer came this morning to my TV STB (long story, other thread).

Anyway, when he had to ring in to register the box I enquired if he could get a signal, as I can't at home, on Vodafone. He said he could, that Orange coverage is pretty good round here.

So, how come they don't use their own service?
It certainly doesn't encourage me to look that way next time my contract to com,es up for renewal.A long-standing contract that either NTL or Telewest had with Orange, possibly, that pre-dates the Virgin rebrand. Or else your tech may have been a contractor from Kelly, who do a lot of work for VM but are not employees of VM. Kelly Communications may have its own contract with Orange to supply mobile phones to staff.

Raistlin
16-09-2008, 11:24
.....or your contractor could have been using their own personal phone rather than a corporate one.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Chris
16-09-2008, 11:25

And sometimes it's a sex toy. Especially if you're called Bill or Monica. Where's this analogy going? :p:

clumsymum
16-09-2008, 11:25
But if it was my business, I'd be promoting the services throughout, contractor or not, if you are representing a Virgin company, you carry their services.

Maybe, having done my 'business growing up" through the eighties, I got alot of the IBM ethic.

But it all serves to undermine the brand...

on in an hour!
16-09-2008, 16:57
But if it was my business, I'd be promoting the services throughout, contractor or not, if you are representing a Virgin company, you carry their services.

Maybe, having done my 'business growing up" through the eighties, I got alot of the IBM ethic.

But it all serves to undermine the brand...
in-house techs are now all migrated onto orange,(or should be by now)there were a couple of providers when we came together but whilst we have been rebranded as VM another deal was struck with orange.i agree you would think that we could have sorted something out with Virgin mobile considering we own it, but if you ran a pub,youd still have to pay for your beer or youd be out of pocket (and we are big drinkers when it comes to mobile phone useage) ;)

Sirius
16-09-2008, 17:56
in-house techs are now all migrated onto orange,(or should be by now)there were a couple of providers when we came together but whilst we have been rebranded as VM another deal was struck with orange.i agree you would think that we could have sorted something out with Virgin mobile considering we own it, but if you ran a pub,youd still have to pay for your beer or youd be out of pocket (and we are big drinkers when it comes to mobile phone useage) ;)

Virgin dont do business mobile, Thats the reason i would expect.

on in an hour!
16-09-2008, 18:00
now why didnt i think of that :dunce:

WHISTLED
16-09-2008, 19:30
Virgin dont do business mobile, Thats the reason i would expect. Correct, and ntl: had a long standing contract with orange..

It appeared we were moving to t-mobile as per Telewest but it went the other way, good job as we had crappy signal in lots of offices

Stephen
16-09-2008, 19:39
Its true VM don't do business Mobile and NTL has been using Orange business services for years.

clumsymum
16-09-2008, 20:23
.....or your contractor could have been using their own personal phone rather than a corporate one.

No mate, we had a chat about it, that's how I know all the engineers are on Orange

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Ah I didn't realise, as my small business contract is with Vodafone. Fine, I won't look to VM then when my contract becomes renewable.

brundles
16-09-2008, 20:29
I'm all for employees representing their company by using the products, but Virgin Mobile isn't really Virgins product - they don't own the network and aren't responsible for any failures on it. Not to mention the fact that although there are most likely SLAs inplace, I'd be very surprised if T-Mobiles equipment didn't prioritise T-Mobile subs in problem areas or high traffic areas.

Personally I'd be surprised if they did use Virgin Mobile given the coverage compared to someone like Vodafone or Orange. As a customer, you'll think worse of them if their mobile doesn't work than you would if they're not using Virgin Mobile.

Locky33
01-10-2008, 21:38
I'm all for employees representing their company by using the products, but Virgin Mobile isn't really Virgins product - they don't own the network and aren't responsible for any failures on it. Not to mention the fact that although there are most likely SLAs inplace, I'd be very surprised if T-Mobiles equipment didn't prioritise T-Mobile subs in problem areas or high traffic areas.

Personally I'd be surprised if they did use Virgin Mobile given the coverage compared to someone like Vodafone or Orange. As a customer, you'll think worse of them if their mobile doesn't work than you would if they're not using Virgin Mobile.

Virgin dont own it, i believe it will be a matter of time and virgin media will aim to have its own network by buying out t-mobile or a majority share. There was some talk that there is a long term contract agreement with the launch of virgin mobile broadband. If that takes off along with large numbers of mobile customers it would be worth them doing so. I dont expect t-mobile earn a lot of revenue out of virgin mobile customers with maintenance costs of the network. Virgin mobile must earn a profit out of the £10 deal for Virgin Media customers. No other providers match it Vodafone comes close with some of their new deals but still slightly more expensive. However as you said Vodafone has more coverage, in fact i would say probably the most coverage out of all providers and is becoming recognised worldwide hence why it has sponsored formula 1.

Down the Pub
08-10-2008, 21:42
I'd be very surprised if T-Mobiles equipment didn't prioritise T-Mobile subs in problem areas or high traffic areas.

i wouldn't bother, my company has t-mobile and to say they are crap is an understatement - no mater where in the country we work their pants.