PDA

View Full Version : SLA - Business internet

Kymmy
11-09-2008, 20:19
When I joined the business side of VM I was told that there was a SLA of 6 hours...Well just had a fault (which I'll detail below) but the the tech when asked about the SLA quoted 5 days???

Anyone know which figure is correct before I have words with CS ;)

Anyway the fault was this:

Yesterday about midday I had problems with a linux test install getting a dynamic address (on the business side you have 5 sticky IP's, I had 3 allocated, and when you connect anything to DHCP it grabs a dynamic address (you can have more than one unlike residential) and from there you can if you wish to go through the autoregister.net site and allocate a sticky to it)

Anyway I couldn;t get a dynamic IP from the modem, though all the registered PC's were grabbing thier sticky OK, so after talking to a fellow mod (who's got more linux experience than me) I rang up TS waited 20minutes for them to answer and gave them the problem..

The TS guy said that he'd reset my modem from his end (a full reset not just a power cycle) this cured the dynamic IP problem, I thanked "M" and went on my merry way thinking the problem was sorted. I then tried to sticky the MAC to an IP, went throught the procedure only to have the fault of FAILED CREATE on the IP?? Apparently when this happens the IP goes in a bin and is a precaution against cloners.. "M" stated that to get the 5 IP's back (the binned one was logged to the mac so I couldn;t register that NIC again) I'd have to reset the modem and get another 5 IP's (Oh yeah great fun for someone who has an external server and would have to wait for the IP's to pro[agate the DNS) I reluctantly agreed and he set it in motion... I again thanked "M" and went on my merry way

OK, members services at this point was telling me that there was no modem on my account, when I tried to reg the modem it was telling me that the modem MAC was on another account. Quick ring to TS (this time "P") told me that there was a problem with the reg system and that it would be fixed hopefully later that night or by tomorrow morning, he took my mobile number and said someone would call me when it's done..

No call by morning :(

Rang TS again after still the same fault and spoke to a different "P", he said that the reg system had been fixed late last night, I told him that hasn;t cured my problem... He said that the only way of sorting it would be to totally reset my account, I said fine, how long would that be...Oh it'll be ready by midday...

Midday came....and went...

2PM the internet failed (previous to this I still at least had dynamic access (just my poor server didn't have a static..Rang TS yet again...The first "P" answered and I told him the story...again... He put me on hold and chatted to another..when he came back the story was "the person who did the first account reset messed up and will be getting a kick up the @r$e", he promised me that he'd expidite it along and would call me back..

An hour later I had internet, I could register the modem, I could get dynamic IP's and I could register the stickies... So a total of 27 hours my fault is fixed (though it could take a lot longer for my DNS entries to worm themselves around the world..

Anyway I'm happy again but CS is gonna get a roasting ;)

Ignitionnet
11-09-2008, 20:42
It's great to see they have processes against cloners that appear to obstruct customers while having absolutely no impact on the cloners :)

Some of that stuff done in the process of troubleshooting makes very little sense too :(

cybernetic_tiger
11-09-2008, 20:58
The 6hr SLA is only a callback SLA. The fix SLA is 40 working hours (5 days). Also the Business Essentials package is not supported out of hours.

whydoIneedatech
11-09-2008, 21:31
This what I have found on the website http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/broadband__internet_services/business_broadband.aspx?view=features
Business Phone Lines

Benefits

Full range of bundled options – we work hard to ensure our customers get the most from our service, so we can offer you a one-stop shop for internet, voice and even equipment like our range of cordless phones (http://www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk/products__solutions/telephony_solutions/cordless_handsets.aspx)
Industry-leading SLA – we’ll make sure we get back to you within two hours and solve any problem within four hours.

Looks like the 6 hours only applies to phone fault.