PDA

View Full Version : General True Blood (TV series)

Tezcatlipoca
07-09-2008, 17:22
New HBO supernatural drama series from Alan Ball (American Beauty, Six Feet Under).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Blood

http://www.hbo.com/trueblood/

http://www.hbo.com/trueblood/about/

ABOUT THE SHOW

Thanks to a Japanese scientist's invention of synthetic blood, vampires have progressed from legendary monsters to fellow citizens overnight. And while humans have been safely removed from the menu, many remain apprehensive about these creatures "coming out of the coffin." Religious leaders and government officials around the world have chosen their sides, but in the small Louisiana town of Bon Temps, the jury is still out.

Local waitress Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin), however, knows how it feels to be an outcast. "Cursed" with the ability to listen in on people's thoughts, she's also open-minded about the integration of vampires — particularly when it comes to Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer), a handsome 173-year-old living up the road. But as Sookie is drawn into a series of mysteries surrounding Bill's arrival in Bon Temps, that tolerance will be put to the test.

A sexy, scary new drama from 'Six Feet Under' creator Alan Ball, 'True Blood' delves into the meticulously-crafted world of novelist Charlaine Harris. Described by the Emmy®-winning Ball as "popcorn for smart people" and featuring a colorful cast of local misfits, 'True Blood' promises an intense ride.

Starts today in the US. No idea yet if anyone has picked it up for the UK.

Paul
07-09-2008, 17:46
I watched the pilot of this ages ago - it was average.

dgardner
16-09-2008, 01:00
I've seen the pilot and nowhere near as good as the books which were only just above average.

Kymmy
02-10-2008, 11:13
It started off slow but currently on ep4 has really picked up especially the interaction between the main Suki and Bill.

I'm quite enjoying it

SOSAGES
02-10-2008, 11:26
dunno what to do with my self lately, when the strike was on i had loads of spare time now most of my day is taken up watching tv!
as for true blood - its ok not really sure where its going or what its up to.

Paul
31-03-2009, 10:12
This got better as the series went on - Series 2 starts in the US on June 14th.

Kymmy
15-06-2009, 09:56
:clap: hopefully as good as he first :)

cimt
16-06-2009, 14:38
I've just watched the premiere of season 2. There were quite a few suprises in it that I didn't expect. I'm looking forward to episode 2. :tu:

Paul
16-06-2009, 14:54
Indeed, I watched it last night. Shocking start ......

Kymmy
16-06-2009, 16:16
I thought the first episode of S2 was a bit heartless....

What I want to know is what the hell are they turning?????

;)

Derek
16-06-2009, 16:21
Any sign of it on UK telly yet or is it still being watched via unconventional means?

admars
16-06-2009, 19:53
Season 1 going to be on FXUK July
http://www.fxuk.com/

some time after they've shown it Channel 4

Paul
09-07-2009, 14:12
True Blood starts on FX - Friday July 17th 10:00pm

howden
15-07-2009, 17:25
http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/blog/2009/07/virgin_media_seals_rights_to_true_blood/

Scarlett
16-07-2009, 00:44
tis logged on the sky plus - We've read most of the Sookie Stockhouse novels and it looks like the series should be quite good.

admars
19-07-2009, 23:26
just watched episode 1 of season 1 from FX. Missus and i thought it was pretty bad. Very cheesy, terrible acting, and not particularly compelling. hard to work out what all the fuss is about :(

Almost as bad as Being Human!

Peter_
19-07-2009, 23:35
I was not overly impressed by the first episode on FX and thought the mind reading part was badly done as it was to unclear what people were thinking in most cases especially with the creole accents everyone seemed to have.

Hopefully it will get better after a few episodes.

cimt
19-07-2009, 23:40
It gets a hell of a lot better, you'll be impressed as the series goes on.

Peter_
19-07-2009, 23:41
It gets a hell of a lot better, you'll be impressed as the series goes on.
Does her mindreading get clearer at all.

Kymmy
19-07-2009, 23:43
I think the series (#2) has gone throught the roof, There's so many facets to not only the characters but also the mythology it's representating.

I look forward to each new episode :):):):)

cimt
19-07-2009, 23:47
Does her mindreading get clearer at all.

Yeah, she stops using it as much. There's only a few times where there's loads of voices at once.

Peter_
19-07-2009, 23:50
Yeah, she stops using it as much. There's only a few times where there's loads of voices at once.
It was not the loads of voices that I disliked it was the in and out sound effects that annoyed me which with the strong creole accents made them difficult to hear without using the V+ rewind facility.

Mick Fisher
20-07-2009, 17:33
I gave it a whirl but won't be bothering to watch anymore.

Just not for me. :(

cimt
31-07-2009, 07:00
True Blood has been picked up for a third series.

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b136979_hbo_picks_up_true_blood_entourage_hung.htm l

The link may contain spoilers, so I'd becareful when clicking it. The link has info about other HBO shows, too.

Kymmy
31-07-2009, 10:32
:clap: great news, I can see this series becoming a cult classic

Stephen
31-07-2009, 10:50
Started watching in HD on FX HD :) Its pretty good

alferret
01-08-2009, 00:18
Excellent, just watched the first episode, looking forward to watching the rest of this unique series.

matt-h
01-08-2009, 22:31
Just finished watching Ep3 and well impressed with it so far.

admars
02-08-2009, 23:45
we enjoyed teh 2nd episode so thought we'd stick with, but episode 3 put us in 2 minds again! I've come to the conclusion Sookie's brother just sannoys me too much. He can't act for toffee so ruins any scene he's in, as he make it too cheasy.

Kymmy
03-08-2009, 10:04
we enjoyed teh 2nd episode so thought we'd stick with, but episode 3 put us in 2 minds again! I've come to the conclusion Sookie's brother just sannoys me too much. He can't act for toffee so ruins any scene he's in, as he make it too cheasy.

I think though that that's the point of the whole character, just too stoooopid and typical redneck who for some reason thinks that everyone should love him for it .. His roles though do get a lot better as the show goes on..

alferret
07-08-2009, 21:26
My wife & I have just watched ep7 from S1, were both hooked. To say its something different is a bit of an understatement. I brought the first 2 books for my wife as she is an avid reader & I'm already half way throught book 3 (audio) Although the timeline from the series doesnt always follow the book the overall substance remains the same, if you can get the books then do, they are better than the series and considering the series is excellent that'll make the books so much more enjoyable.

I shant divilge any forthcoming events but needless to say the series is in for a long ride on TV.

Also I have aquired the OST for the series and its "pretty darn good" (in my southern Louisiana droll)

Peter_
07-08-2009, 21:31
My wife & I have just watched ep7 from S1, were both hooked. To say its something different is a bit of an understatement. I brought the first 2 books for my wife as she is an avid reader & I'm already half way throught book 3 (audio) Although the timeline from the series doesnt always follow the book the overall substance remains the same, if you can get the books then do, they are better than the series and considering the series is excellent that'll make the books so much more enjoyable.

I shant divilge any forthcoming events but needless to say the series is in for a long ride on TV.

Also I have aquired the OST for the series and its "pretty darn good" (in my southern Louisiana droll)
Here are the books on Amazon so thats a bit more reading for you both https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h__1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=true+blood+books&sprefix=true+blood

Kymmy
07-08-2009, 23:34
Weird how the books have been mentioned as I've just recieved a PLAY.COM newsletter for thier bookstore with True Blood on it. Link to them is below

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/3-/202031/2-/Promo.html?dpr=202031&source=0860115351&cm_mmc=Silverpop-_-Int_Books_wk32%20Aug09%20vol1%20BOOKS-_-L-_-BOOKS_BANNER_SIDE_1&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Books%20Interest%202009-08-07%20August%20Vol%201%20(1)&utm_content=

Paul
08-08-2009, 11:11
Um.. OST ?

Kymmy
08-08-2009, 11:13
I presume it means Original Sound Track

Paul
08-08-2009, 23:13
Oh Right.

True Blood has been renewed for a third season by HBO.

cimt
09-08-2009, 02:36
True Blood has been picked up for a third series.

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b136979_hbo_picks_up_true_blood_entourage_hung.htm l

The link may contain spoilers, so I'd becareful when clicking it. The link has info about other HBO shows, too.

Oh Right.

True Blood has been renewed for a third season by HBO.

Yeah, I posted it about a week ago as quoted above.

alferret
09-08-2009, 09:59
I presume it means Original Sound Track

Yup OST.

On the subject of the books WH smith are doing them on a buy one get the secong half price, these are not the first print edition with the cartoonie front but the release after True Blood TV series was aired.

Which means I gotta go down there at 10 to get another 2 as the wife has read the first 2 since Thur night

Peter_
09-08-2009, 11:10
Yup OST.

On the subject of the books WH smith are doing them on a buy one get the secong half price, these are not the first print edition with the cartoonie front but the release after True Blood TV series was aired.

Which means I gotta go down there at 10 to get another 2 as the wife has read the first 2 since Thur night
Gets you out of the house for a bit though.

alferret
09-08-2009, 12:40
Gets you out of the house for a bit though.

Doing enough of that at the moment, in an out hanging out the washing, mowed the lawn, sorted out 2 sheds, gonna dig me mountain bike out in a mo.

Peter_
09-08-2009, 13:22
Doing enough of that at the moment, in an out hanging out the washing, mowed the lawn, sorted out 2 sheds, gonna dig me mountain bike out in a mo.
At least if she is reading you will not get asked "Are you finished yet".

Tezcatlipoca
07-01-2010, 23:36
Although I started this thread, I've only just worked my way through the whole of season 1 & season 2 in the past week.

Absolutely love it, even though I find Sookie herself rather irritating.

Season 2 is coming to FX in February, & C4 some time after that.

I think though that that's the point of the whole character, just too stoooopid and typical redneck who for some reason thinks that everyone should love him for it .. His roles though do get a lot better as the show goes on..

Jason's great. Some of the stuff he comes out with is classic.

There was a great Jason-ism at the end of season 2:

"It's like they say: If a tree falls down in the woods, it's still a tree ain't it?"

iFrankie
11-01-2010, 12:51
only watched the first ep and loved it, gonna have to try and watch the rest :D

Pauls9
11-01-2010, 15:36
A great series, but have I missed an episode or was there some editing for the UK audience here:

Terra was in the posh lady's house. Her phone was taken, then we saw the lady studying a pig and shaking. Terra seems to be in the process of being set up for something nasty. Next we know, Terra's turning up at the bar.

Do I need to buy the DVDs?

Kymmy
11-01-2010, 15:53
eeerrrrr.....Yep

Pauls9
11-01-2010, 18:06
Thanks Kymmy :)