PDA

View Full Version : This sound correct to anyone? (speed related)

Stouffer
05-09-2008, 16:01
I'm trying to download a few files off of Bit Torrent. The thing is, even with limits set, I cannot use the internet at the same time. I'm on the 20mb package, got my upload limit set to 6k (very low I admit, but I'll explain in a second) and downloads currently running at around 200k down. I'm on the 20mb package, and yet when these speeds are being used, I cannot use any other web applications (can't use outlook to download emails, browsing is impossible etc etc). Soon as BT is turned off, it's back to normal.

Any ideas what could be causing this? The speeds seem far too low to have such a bad effect on my internet line. Done the basic speed test on here, when BT is off it's a steady 18mb, when it's on, it can't even load the speed test.

Quick edit. I'm not great on the tech side of things (modem power levels and the like, so can't really post them as unsure how). My config is fine (it was ok a month ago, nothing has changed since then), and the problems have been steadily getting worse over the past few weeks. Tried it again just now, as soon as it starts using any of the upload it seems, it kills the entire connection. Yet if I set my upload limit any lower, I instantly drop to a 2 or 3k download.

Toto
05-09-2008, 16:26
You really need to see what's taking all that traffic up during your torrent use, a good network reporting tool like DU meter (http://www.dumeter.com/) might help

Jonathan90
05-09-2008, 16:29
you got too many connections running if you are running xp try lvlord.de download the tcp patcher and change it to 50 or if ur running utorrent goinot speed guide and choose 768 k

Toto
05-09-2008, 16:29
See, now there speaks somebody with Torrent experience. ;)

Jonathan90
05-09-2008, 16:32
;) lol

Stouffer
05-09-2008, 16:34
Tried lowering connection numbers before. No luck really. Trying again now, but the probelms appear to still be happening. Even going as far as signing me out of MSN for example. Tried setting it to 768k as suggested, problems are just as bad.

Jonathan90
05-09-2008, 16:48
like i said too many connections the modem can't handle it try restarting utorrent (take it your using utorrent) after setting it to 768

or jsut set it at 512 k see what happens also you normally get a little slowdown when starting as it has to open up annd the connections etc but when it gets going and u got it set correctly it shouldn't slowdown

---------- Post added at 16:48 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

another thing to try is this stop all downloads but leave open check the net its its normal thats ok then start this torrent (http://borft.student.utwente.nl/~adrian/torrentphp/torrent.php/OOo_2.4.1_Win32Intel_install_en-US.exe.torrent) with it set to 512 k in utorrent speed guide and try browsing it could be that there are that many people on the torent that its just swamping your connection i don't have this problem as i get my stuff from private trackers

Stouffer
05-09-2008, 16:49
Don't worry mate, I did try a full reboot of Vista after changing Utorrent settings and still just as bad. On 512k it's almost usable, but about 1 in every 3 pages gives me an error.

Jonathan90
05-09-2008, 16:51
u tried that torrent above

---------- Post added at 16:50 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

pm me the torrent you are downloading

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

and did you try

edit typeo its http://www.lvllord.de/

Stouffer
05-09-2008, 16:57
Sorry fella, not tried it yet. Having a little fiddle with it. I'm currently on a private tracker so can't really PM the torrent. Now I think I may have fixed the problem. Set it to 512k, upped the connections by a few (literally 20 or 30, and lowered my upload to 18k (it's fine, I have unlimited access on the tracker, so not too worried about upload as such). Browsing is slow, but to be expected when getting 1.6mb down.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye on this should it go tits up again.

stevos
06-09-2008, 11:11
what about doing a speedtest to see what your connection is like before using bittorrent?

chickendippers
06-09-2008, 12:25
Done the basic speed test on here, when BT is off it's a steady 18mb, when it's on, it can't even load the speed test.;)