PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a legit "work at home" job?

AdamD
17-08-2005, 02:09
I often dream about working from home, as i'm sure some of you may have to

But i've never found a single, legitimate advert for such a job
The only ones i've ever come across involve pyramid type schemes and god know what else.
Doing a search on reed's website, or any other large job site and the same users spam the job listings with their crap, like reselling healthcare stuff.

Xaccers
17-08-2005, 02:30
There was one a mate used to do at college, basically sticking the red brush strip thing to cheap vacuum cleaner hose attachments, paid a pittence though.
The others are home phone call ones, fake tarrot/adult conversation.

Roy MM
17-08-2005, 04:00
Know what you mean, i'm disabled, and wanting to do something to occupy my time, as luck would have it my bro-in-law owned a taxi company so i got the calls for booking mini buses routed to me, never paid a fortune but kept me from going insane. :D

Nidge
17-08-2005, 05:45
Know what you mean, i'm disabled, and wanting to do something to occupy my time, as luck would have it my bro-in-law owned a taxi company so i got the calls for booking mini buses routed to me, never paid a fortune but kept me from going insane. :D

I did 19 years on the Taxis and in all that time I wondered why the calls weren't outsourced to people wanting to work from home. Round here the firms employ office staff to take the calls, this involves keeping the office open 24 hours 7 days a week plus paying staff. There must be some sort of software that will allow all calls to be diverted to an assigned telephonist plus the software to get into the firms booking screen via the internet.

Can it be done??

dilli-theclaw
17-08-2005, 08:06
Buxom woman, apart from working down the pub some nights, also does home work.

Which is making cards and things. The pay is not great, but it does help a bit.

Scarlett
17-08-2005, 08:13
Yes.
But Im about to move on, working for a telco supporting the live DB, as others have said pay isn't particually good though (relative to the industry)

If you want a work at home 90 % of the time at least job then generally your going to be paid less than you could be. if you want to work at home occasionally, then your going to need to be manager type at least (from my experience)

Chris
17-08-2005, 10:07
Loch omond and the Trossachs National Park Authority recently advertised for a community liaison manager, who would have a desk at their HQ in Balloch but who was exected to work primarily at home. The Authority was to install a phone and a PC at the home of the successful applicant to facilitate this as well. The pay was reasonably good. So yes, there are legit work from home jobs out there!

altis
17-08-2005, 10:10
It's called Home-Working. There's plenty of options:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=home-working&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

Angua
17-08-2005, 10:22
My neighbour was packing cards from home, at the best speed it worked out at only £3 hour or half a pence per card (the cards she was doing were retailing in Paperchase at around £2 each) slave labour.

I think there is an option of being one of those folk on the end of a premium rate number :naughty::Yikes:.

I have done Thompson Directory deliveries from home about £70 per week for around 3 hours per day delivering, but this is only a couple of weeks per year.

I sort of work from home now but it's not a proper job and you have to go to meetings from time to time, you do have to get elected first though ;) (took me several attempts).

MetaWraith
17-08-2005, 13:13
Proofreading springs to mind as a possibility

Ramrod
17-08-2005, 13:24
Proofreading springs to mind as a possibilityGood suggestion! If you have a good standard in a second language then translation is another option.........

nffc
17-08-2005, 14:16
Where do you live? Our local paper has a jobs supplement every week, yours might be the same...

Hawkwinddotcom
17-08-2005, 21:41

I passed a shop in Nailsworth today that was for Disabled homeworkers, next time im passing i could have a look for you if you want.

in fact heres a link (http://www.guide-information.org.uk/guide/search_index_detail.lasso?RecID=G5775)

AdamD
24-08-2005, 19:14
It's a shame such legit jobs are so few and far between

Paul
24-08-2005, 20:04
Proofreading springs to mind as a possibilityThe first two times I read this, I wondered how you proof read a spring :erm:

ScaredWebWarrior
24-08-2005, 20:20
The first two times I read this, I wondered how you proof read a spring :erm:

You'd end up seriously wound up if you tried!

Matthew
24-08-2005, 21:23
Start your own business and work from home.

Nidge
24-08-2005, 21:26
The first two times I read this, I wondered how you proof read a spring :erm:

Proof reading is one of the biggest cons on the market.

AdamD
24-08-2005, 22:13
Start your own business and work from home.

Eh, easier said then done.
I wouldn't even know where to begin, nor the market i'd want to get into