PDA

View Full Version : Non cable area

jangor
26-08-2008, 08:55
I am moving to a rented property for six months which is in a non cable area. The property appears not to have an aerial and the agent is unsure if there is a BT connection to the property. I will need to be up and running as soon as possible with broadband, phone and TV. What options do I have?

With thanks.

Tarantella
26-08-2008, 09:07
Is a satellite package an option here?

jangor
26-08-2008, 09:18
I don't think so. There appear to be various covenants at the property concerning any external changes or additions. Thankyou.

King Of Fools
26-08-2008, 10:22
If you are only there for 6 months then you biggest problem will be finding a provider without a minimum 12 month contract!

Ignitionnet
26-08-2008, 10:34
You'll almost certainly have a BT line at the property, BT are obligated to supply telephone service to every home in the UK that wants it.

For information on what's available to you check http://www.samknows.com

Something I would say is do not take Virgin Media's offnet package. At this time the broadband is simply awful.

If no dish is available you may want to consider Freeview, or BT Vision or Tiscali TV if they are available. IPTV over telephone wire.

CrowmanUK
26-08-2008, 10:43
Virgine ADSL is hopeless, as long as there is a BT line at the property, go with Be Broadband, they have no minimum contract but you need to give 3 months notice that you're leaving so that should suit you, this is only on the top 2 packages though

For our Be unlimited and Be pro products, there is no contractual period, we simply ask for 3 months notice in writing to cancel your contract without incurring any additional cancellation charges.

If you choose Be Value, your initial contract period is 1 year. After the first year, we simply ask for 1 months notice in writing to cancel your contract without incurring any additional cancellation charges.

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

smeagoly1
26-08-2008, 10:57
Phone BT up, see if there is a line already installed, if so they just switch on their end free of charge. I did in when i moved to a new rented property. Otherwise it's £125 to get a line installed, and a 12 month contract.

As for ISP's avoid Virgin.net ADSL, I personally would go with CrownmanUk's suggestion for isp's. Either way your going to need a BT line.

jangor
26-08-2008, 11:09
Thankyou so much for these replies, they are really helpful.