PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 50Mb Boltband

whydoIneedatech
22-08-2008, 22:34
Virgin are considering calling their 50Mb Broadband Boltband after the world's fastest man, double gold medal-winning Jamaican Olympic sensation Usain Bolt

Check link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/aug/21/olympicsandthemedia.virginmedia

SteevieNiteHeat
22-08-2008, 23:11
Virgin are considering calling their 50Mb Broadband Boltband after the world's fastest man, double gold medal-winning Jamaican Olympic sensation Usain Bolt

Check link.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/aug/21/olympicsandthemedia.virginmedia

Oh My God, whatever will they find to waste money on next?
And I thought that they (virgin) was multi-billions in debt, yet they can always afford to waste money on advertising!

synner
22-08-2008, 23:33
And I thought that they (virgin) was multi-billions in debt, yet they can always afford to waste money on advertising!

I don't mind them spending on advertising as long as:

1) They spend some of the profits from new connections on the network
2) They don't do it in such an embarrassingly cheesy way

Bri

SteevieNiteHeat
22-08-2008, 23:41
I don't mind them spending on advertising as long as:

1) They spend some of the profits from new connections on the network
2) They don't do it in such an embarrassingly cheesy way

Bri

Haha this will never happen!:)

Sirius
22-08-2008, 23:58

So how are they then to tell everyone about there 50 meg service if you don't want them to advertise it
????????

SteevieNiteHeat
23-08-2008, 00:02
So how are they then to tell everyone about there 50 meg service if you don't want them to advertise it
????????

Seriously, there is advertising, then there is taking the complete micky mouse!

They could have saved £20m by NOT using that blonde bint Uma Thurman to head the new virgin media brand, and probably save an extra £40M at least with Samuel L Jackson and Ruby Wax.
I am all for advertising, but NOT by paying these famous people and having to pay such large amounts!

BloodyL
23-08-2008, 00:14
Samuel L Jackson - Oh Yes, I'm tired of these Mofo bottlenecks on this mofo plane.
Uma Thurman - With a better light engineer yes, with the current awful light rigger? hell no, Uma looked like she'd been toking far to many joints the night before.
Ruby Wax....No, just...No. *shudders*

SteevieNiteHeat
23-08-2008, 00:33
Samuel L Jackson - Oh Yes, I'm tired of these Mofo bottlenecks on this mofo plane.
Uma Thurman - With a better light engineer yes, with the current awful light rigger? hell no, Uma looked like she'd been toking far to many joints the night before.
Ruby Wax....No, just...No. *shudders*

That post just put a huge big smile on my face :D

frogstamper
23-08-2008, 00:36

They could have saved £20m by NOT using that blonde bint Uma Thurman to head the new virgin media brand, and probably save an extra £40M at least with Samuel L Jackson and Ruby Wax.
I am all for advertising, but NOT by paying these famous people and having to pay such large amounts!

Well said Steevie, of course nobody is saying don't advertise to VM, but a company that is in as much debt as Virgin should be a bit more careful than splashing out tens of millions of pounds on celebrity advertising campaigns.

The sort of person who would be interested in taking out a 50mb connection, would I doubt very much indeed be swayed either way by the appearance of an athlete advertising it, you want the facts of the service, not some "pee and wind" about a runner. You either want it or you don't.:shrug:

chickendippers
23-08-2008, 00:56
The exposure on the Guardian's website...which cost nothing...is in itself a very effective marketing ploy.

P.S. I really liked the Samuel L Jackson adverts; much better than any campaign ntl or Telewest have run in the past.

Ignitionnet
23-08-2008, 00:57
This from another forum:

he's lucky he wasn't approached before the olympics to demonstrate Virgin broadband.... he would have been STM'd at 60 metres for using his legs too much and as such would have had to sacrifice one

:D

SteevieNiteHeat
23-08-2008, 01:47
snip

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

The advert they SHOULD make is Usain Bolt running fast for a quarter of the way, then he morphs into an OAP bearly managing to walk yet alone run!

This at least would be TRUE advertising

CrowmanUK
23-08-2008, 02:01
beat me to it stevie, I was gonna post something similar, bet the other isp's could use something just like that to show what its like without stm, the BE "tortoise" running at up to 24meg without stm slowly moving past "the bolt" and hitting the finish line first.

Welshchris
23-08-2008, 02:12
I still think they should be spending the money on current network problems instead of doing silly upgrades which are unneccasary yet which will just cause more problems for the network.

Downloads
25-08-2008, 09:59
This is exactly why I stopped coming to these forums, the posters on here whine like little girls with so much negativity. People always moaned before, but generally it use to be about their own issues, it ramped up big time when the Virgin/Sky dispute started and never stopped. First time I came back in ages and it looks like I made the right decision to go to talk about TV/Internet stuff elsewhere.

Rone
25-08-2008, 12:33
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

The advert they SHOULD make is Usain Bolt running fast for a quarter of the way, then he morphs into an OAP bearly managing to walk yet alone run!

This at least would be TRUE advertising

So my 20 meg is the "Paula Radcliffe" always looks promising, but frequently fails to deliver. ;)

Hugh
25-08-2008, 14:08
My 10Mb must be the rowing team - fairly constant, always delivers.;)

Maggy
25-08-2008, 14:24
This is exactly why I stopped coming to these forums, the posters on here whine like little girls with so much negativity. People always moaned before, but generally it use to be about their own issues, it ramped up big time when the Virgin/Sky dispute started and never stopped. First time I came back in ages and it looks like I made the right decision to go to talk about TV/Internet stuff elsewhere.

You could have stayed around to discuss other non VM issues or to offer help and advice to those suffering poor service or those needing help of any sort...Cable Forum is so much more than the moaners and ranters...:tu:

CrowmanUK
25-08-2008, 14:28
Besides we wouldn't be British if we didnt do a bit of moaning would we :)

SteevieNiteHeat
25-08-2008, 14:45

I think you will find that it is every human being's right to complain if they think that they need to, and as everybody has an oppinion, some differ from others, but that is also their right as a human being.
Also, everybody has the right to be treated fairly and not be ripped off!

Stuart
25-08-2008, 16:38

They could, and the resulting 60 million saved would have payed for upgrading one or two areas (and making the service nicer for a few thousand people), or (and this is more likely) payed some of the interest on their billions of pounds of loans.

However, the adverts could well have generated a lot more than £60 million worth of extra business, or they could have gone a long way to preventing the 10s of thousands of people who Sky seemed to be expecting to leave, leave.

Either way, they could have helped Virgin a lot more than just using the money elsewhere.

Hugh
25-08-2008, 16:50
I think you will find that it is every human being's right to complain if they think that they need to, and as everybody has an oppinion, some differ from others, but that is also their right as a human being.
Don't remember that in the EHCR..... ;)

Article 10 states "Everyone has the right to freedom of expression" - doesn't actually state "complain" :D

Ignitionnet
25-08-2008, 18:05
Here's hoping they don't show Bolt running back to the finishing line after finishing his race, he might do it one way in less than 10 seconds but will take over 3 minutes to get back following the upstream ratio VM are offering.

Talking of upstream anyone know what VM are going to be running on the 10k's 50Mbit upstream? Are we looking at the same as the others or are they going to try a DOCSIS 2 width/modulation upstream? :)

Downloads
29-08-2008, 20:17

I agree, but...

If someone puts a new thread the same person then goes onto the next thread and says "yeah but mine is crap, i was 10mb and i am only getting 6mb", a new thread appears and they say the same thing... again.

You have a right to moan, but why to do it repeatedly, we can't do anything about it. Leave VM, don't take other people's enjoyment away from discussing on a thread by posting how crap your service is constantly. I truely wish everyone got their 20mb or whatever like i do, but if i didn't i wouldn't moan on here about it all the time. I would create one thread, tell my story and that would be it, i would sign up to BT or whoever and maybe give Virgin another try in a year or so.

I hope they call it BoltBand, i hope they pay Bolt loads of money. How much they pay Bolt will have nothing to do with how much money they spend on their network. It's good promotion. Advertising brings in customers. Let it rip.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

You could have stayed around to discuss other non VM issues or to offer help and advice to those suffering poor service or those needing help of any sort...Cable Forum is so much more than the moaners and ranters...:tu:

You are right of course, i always enjoyed reading your posts, mainly because you didn't moan every other post and i'm very pleased to see you have been promoted up the ranks! I'll try to be on a bit more again maybe, it's just the Sky/Virgin thing got me down on these boards, could only take so much!

---------- Post added at 19:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Don't remember that in the EHCR..... ;)

Article 10 states "Everyone has the right to freedom of expression" - doesn't actually state "complain" :D

Glad to see you are still fighting the fight mate lol