PDA

View Full Version : Vm say Exchange is only 2Mb but I was getting 6?

smeagoly1
21-08-2008, 13:12
Hi all

Strange one this, feel like i'm getting bounced around tbh.

I have the upto 8 Meg ADSL package. Was only getting line connection speeds of 2000 kbps or less for the first few months. Then after I made a tech call, line connection speeds went up to anything between 5700 - 6400 kbps, excellent and always stable and no drop offs.

I done the mistake of switching the router off, while I was away on holiday for over a week. You guessed it, I lost my IP profile, so got stuck on 1700 kbps, and drop off every 10-20 mins for 30 seconds.

Phone up tech support, 1st guy very helpful, and informative,done the usual turn off modem for ten mins or so, ect and followed every step in a tech support mail he sent me. Thinking as he suggested that my Ip profile had been lost after being off for a week or so.

No change, phone up a 2nd time, told turn off router 2x a day for 10 mins or so, and leave off at night, for a week. 10 days later no change. so phone up yet again to be told.... the Whitley Bay Exchange is only 2meg, so nothing we can do, call BT.

BT say they have not done any work on it, call your ISP Tech Support.

What I find stange is, I was getting a very good 6meg, with no drop off's at all for a few months, on what they say is only a 2 meg exchange?

Can this happen? I'm just getting very confused, and feel like i'm getting the run around, especially since i logged my line connection speeds for months. I did log that between 25th of June to 28th July i was always above 6 meg. Line connection speeds, from routers status page.

Just finding things I am told very confusing and information contradicting what I was getting.

Regards
smee

Zhadnost
21-08-2008, 13:24
I'm thinking that it's probably that the ntl tech support fella lied to you. Whitley Bay has had ADSL Max since March 06, so is an upto 8Mbit (on BT).

On the plus side, if they **** you off much more, it is a Be enabled exchange (also Sky enabled too).

PeteTheMusicGuy
21-08-2008, 13:40
Get back on to them, the exchange is deffo enabled and as the poster above suggested if they dont sort it there are other ISPs ;)

kingabs
21-08-2008, 14:24
sounds like they saw you had a stuck profile and got it sorted for you.

smeagoly1
29-08-2008, 16:09
well still in the same boat, Virgin.net still insisting it's a 2meg exchange only. Yet it's ADSL MAx enabled.

Pity my neighbour gets over 6 meg on the same exchange, but with a different isp.:(

To make matters worse well under 2 meg and It now takes several attempts sometimes to load pages.

I just despise being lied to, especially since i have logged my system previously obtaining a connection speed of over 6000 over several weeks.

Not one to rant normally but I am starting to be messed around.