PDA

View Full Version : VM cable netgear router WGR614 v6

sweetdeath
16-08-2008, 14:30
Has anyone has any problems with these routers?

I got sent one and I cant even ping to it, a few times I managed to ping the default gateway I managed to log into the router, then the pings start timing out again.

Tried calling VM a few times since friday night but thier tech support arent very technical minded.

SlySi
16-08-2008, 16:43
I have just got one from PC World and it was up and running in minutes, turn everything off, connect cable modem to router, router to PC and then turn on modem, router and PC, put CD in drive for router and follow the on screen prompts and hey presto!

Joxer
16-08-2008, 18:07
So what happens when you try to ping the router? Is your ip address 192.168.1.x? Are you using the Wireless Manager? does it say you're connected? And what is the default gateway?

whydoIneedatech
16-08-2008, 20:32
Has anyone has any problems with these routers?

I got sent one and I cant even ping to it, a few times I managed to ping the default gateway I managed to log into the router, then the pings start timing out again.

Tried calling VM a few times since friday night but thier tech support arent very technical minded.

Quick router set up for the Virgin router

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

Joxer
16-08-2008, 21:04
Or you can follow the instructions in this post and not need to use another cable.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34613733-post12.html

whydoIneedatech
16-08-2008, 21:16

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

Or you can follow the instructions in this post and not need to use another cable.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34613733-post12.html

Both ways work as I have used both methods in work.

mreko
16-08-2008, 23:03
I've been having similar problems with the WGR614 v6 router. I've found that occasionally that I can't connect to the internet. I get network timeout errors in firefox and when I try to ping the router some of the responses time out. Resetting the router seems to fix the problem but I'm getting fed up with it and will probably return it back to virgin.

akridine
16-08-2008, 23:12
Ive got the same problem, every now and again the router will stop working and need a reboot, its got so annoying that ive stopped using it.

alt3rn1ty
17-08-2008, 01:14

I recently had a clean re-install of my system (to allow for re-sizing partition to accomodate Ubuntu OS).

Previously I used to link to router set-up pages via a bookmark and remembered password in my browser. Having cleaned out I lost my more recent bookmarks which werent backed up, and have forgotten the username/password combination I changed from the original....

Will re-setting the router (via the recessed switch at the back) revert the router back to admin and password?

Milambar
17-08-2008, 05:34
If it is a shop bought one, yes. Depress the switch for 30 seconds while power is connected, to perform a "factory reset".

However I dont know if that is true about the ones supplied by VM, who knows what hacky firmware they blew into them.

whydoIneedatech
17-08-2008, 07:56
I recently had a clean re-install of my system (to allow for re-sizing partition to accomodate Ubuntu OS).

Previously I used to link to router set-up pages via a bookmark and remembered password in my browser. Having cleaned out I lost my more recent bookmarks which werent backed up, and have forgotten the username/password combination I changed from the original....

Will re-setting the router (via the recessed switch at the back) revert the router back to admin and password?

It will reset it but the is no requirement if you follw the instructions above that myself and joxer.

You can pinhole reset the router but the virgin one does not revert to netgear settings only to the embedded virgin firmware.

alt3rn1ty
17-08-2008, 09:55
Thanks whydoineedatech I am back in again after pinhole reset, I went to 192.168.1.1 via ethernet and got a virgin setup wireless page and password with the default password (changed it since obviously). ;)
In response to OP I havent had this one for very long (given it by a friend who left virgin, I am using it in a chain of nat routers (see this site for idea.. http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm ) to get wireless outside of other computers connections to shield against possible wireless intrusions), and so far found it to be quite good.
EDIT: Thanks also to Milambar; I thought it would be like my other netgear and wasnt aware of virgins own firmware.

sweetdeath
17-08-2008, 12:00
Is there anyway to dump the VM firmware from the router? I downlaoded the latest firmware from the netgear site for this router but gives an error when I try to upgrade from teh netgear menu.

moaningmags
17-08-2008, 12:19
Is there anyway to dump the VM firmware from the router? I downlaoded the latest firmware from the netgear site for this router but gives an error when I try to upgrade from teh netgear menu.

No, the firmware is locked in.
If you do manage to overwrite it, you invalidate the warranty and support won't help with it.

alt3rn1ty
17-08-2008, 14:55
No, the firmware is locked in.
If you do manage to overwrite it, you invalidate the warranty and support won't help with it.

Hmm, theres a thought, for anyone who doesnt care about invalidating a warranty .. quote if you manage to overwrite it unquote... is it possible?, I for one dont trust any ISP these days having firmware controlling connections within my home, and would prefer the netgear manufacturers original updates to firmware.

whydoIneedatech
17-08-2008, 14:59
Hmm, theres a thought, for anyone who doesnt care about invalidating a warranty .. quote if you manage to overwrite it unquote... is it possible?, I for one dont trust any ISP these days having firmware controlling connections within my home, and would prefer the netgear manufacturers original updates to firmware.

This is a Standard WGR614 and does not have embedded firmware and is £24.99 if ordered online for instore pickup.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1026706505.121898147 0@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceiadeelmglhehcflgceggdhhmdgmj.0&page=Product&fm=13&sm=1&tm=1&sku=951446&category_oid=

alt3rn1ty
17-08-2008, 17:26
Thanks for the reply's, I went off doing a search remembering similar subjects with regards the BTHomeHub and telnetting.....
First for anyone else curious check the following thread
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33636440-vm-wireless-router-custom-firmware.html
And as for telnetting, anyone with the requisite propeller beany hat will draw their own conclusions from their own searches but for the general audience here... dont go there, one syntax error in your procedure and the router is a door stopper. Thats even if you can collate all the exact requirements.
@ WhydoIneedatech.. Think I will take your advice :D

Darv
28-08-2008, 13:40
I've been having similar problems with the WGR614 v6 router. I've found that occasionally that I can't connect to the internet. I get network timeout errors in firefox and when I try to ping the router some of the responses time out. Resetting the router seems to fix the problem but I'm getting fed up with it and will probably return it back to virgin.

I'm having exaclty the same problem. Only I'm using a WGR614v9. I've had a new one sent to me by VM and I've tried a Linksys router as well, all have the same issue.

When I reset it I get access again but it only lasts for a minute or so before I need to reset it again. Works fine when I plug the modem directly into my PC. The other thing about it is when I use a router and the http stops working I am still connected to Skype, MSN and can play WoW fine.

VM have sent me a new modem now but their tech support are out of ideas.

Oh and the other thing is that it worked fine for the first week of having the broadband.

Has anyone managed to find a fix for this?

LaineY
28-08-2008, 16:35
Firefox has been playing up recently for me.. and im through a linksys...
However..
i do have the Netgear router also that Telewest/Virgin supplied me..

I only get a Max of 10MB through it.. (AS the firmware/Model only supports 10MB)
The firmware is locked and i have tried flashing it with no joy...

Also.. with the Netgear router.. My net constantly disconnects.. EVEN WIRED to the router..

Theres a severe issue with these routers..

My linksys Flys :D

moaningmags
28-08-2008, 16:44
Lainey, there's a firmware update for that router on the vm webpages

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/wireless/upgrade-tw-kit.php

makes it do 20meg

LaineY
29-08-2008, 12:26
Now you tell me when iv just gave it away to my mate!! for nothing!

:(.. owell .. bummer