PDA

View Full Version : ntl:250 modem and WGR614-6VGUKS NETGEAR ROUTER- MORE PROBS!

TechAGNOSTIC
11-08-2008, 17:16
Hello there!

I'm sorry if I'm repeating an oft cited problem but I don't know much about computers and any help would be greatly appreciated.....I'm trying to follow the site administrator's guide to transparency, so here goes.....

My problem is that I cannot set up wireless access from my Virgin broadband.

I have cable tv, phone and broadband and all services are working as normal.

I have contacted customer support who said that the ethernet connection on my new WGR614-6VGUKS Netgear router may be faulty, so they're sending me a(NOTHER) new one.

I have, repeatedly, followed the instruction cd that came with my router, to no avail. I scoured the net and tried all sorts of odd things, like adding the old usb connection alongside the ethernet connection, trying to access the Netgear site (192.168.1.1) which I can't, flushing the dns, checking the ip address, unpluging everything for an hour and powering back on, using the reset button on the router and lot of other advice , a lot of which I don't pretend to understand!

I live in SE9 london.

I have windows xp on a dell dimension 2400.

My cable router is an NTL:250 connected to the computer with a usb cable.

I dont have any firewall programs other than the ususal default privacy settings of xp (yeah, I know i'll have to get secure once i sort this out!)

My desired end result is my dell pc on a WIRED connection to the router and WIRELESS capability for the rest of the house.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated- I'm worried Virgin will hust keep sending my new routers!;)

rtj70
11-08-2008, 18:05
1. Unplug USB cable from PC to cable modem.
2. Turn off cable modem and router
3. Plug ethernet cable between router and cable modem.
4. Plug ethernet cable between router and computer.
5. Turn on cable modem and wait say 30s or so.
6. Turn on router
7. Turn on PC

After the last two lights go steady on the modem you should have a connection to VM broadband and router.

Your router should have got an Internet IP address and given a local IP address to PC.

eth01
11-08-2008, 18:17
I got your PM, but don't assume "i know a lot about computers" ;)

whydoIneedatech
11-08-2008, 18:51
Netgear Set Up

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1 to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : virgin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon ( not the virgin icon ) click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

TechAGNOSTIC
11-08-2008, 21:24
Thank you for your suggestions rtj70 and whydoineedtech.

I tried your suggestions but unfortunately nothing happened.

I did manage to access the router page on my laptop but I'm so confused right now, I couldn't tell you how. I'm pretty sure that I still had the usb connection running between modem and desktop comp.

I called customer service again, trying to unplug everything and restart internet connection with ethernet cable, as is the goal. Comp does not react when modem is connected via ethernet link.

Searched on dell website to update any missing drivers - sm controller was missing, as was usb controller. Found the required devices and installed them. I installed them in the order specified by site and now my device manager has no branches flagged as incomplete or non functioning.

Tried your posts again but still nothing.

Aghhh (bashes head against wall)!

whydoIneedatech
11-08-2008, 21:53

I did manage to access the router page on my laptop but I'm so confused right now, I couldn't tell you how. I'm pretty sure that I still had the usb connection running between modem and desktop comp.

I called customer service again, trying to unplug everything and restart internet connection with ethernet cable, as is the goal. Comp does not react when modem is connected via ethernet link.

Searched on dell website to update any missing drivers - sm controller was missing, as was usb controller. Found the required devices and installed them. I installed them in the order specified by site and now my device manager has no branches flagged as incomplete or non functioning.

You cannot use USB and Ethernet together in the same modem, and everytime you connect the modem via ethernet to a different device you must reboot the modem by unplugging the power lead for 10 seconds.

Try the above again by first ensuring that the router is connected to the modem and then connected to the laptop, then reboot the modem and when the light come back on steady try the above again.

rtj70
11-08-2008, 22:48
You said "I'm pretty sure that I still had the usb connection running between modem and desktop comp."

I said first step is to unplug this. If you don't then it's not going to work via the router. Why ask for help if you don't do what is suggested. Wasting our time telling you what is needed. :(

SMG
11-08-2008, 23:58
Forget mucking about with the laptop.

Concentrate on the PC & its connections. Do as whydoi said & access the router setup / configuration page from your wired PC. Once your in, you can set & view your router settings & set your wireless connection up. Use a password familiar to you.

Laptop.

You will need a wireless usb dongle to plug into your laptop, ensure its compatible with your wireless connection. Once your that far, & you have loaded the dongle software, simply search for available networks. When you find your net, log on with your password. Don't try & rush through it. Read the help pages first.

whydoIneedatech
12-08-2008, 07:01

Lose the USB cable and then follow the advice above you cannot use USB and Ethernet together in the same modem, it is a pity that they did not send you a new modem as well as they only have One Ethernet port.

Delete the Virgin Wireless Manager and just use Windows to connect Wirelessly.

TechAGNOSTIC
13-08-2008, 11:17
Hello all.

Thanks for your attempts to help.

Just to be clear, especially rj70, I DID try all posts to the letter. It was only when I STILL couldn't egt anywhere that I went back to the old usb wire....

Tried the disconnecting and powercylcing again today,without usb of course- nothing happened.

I'm starting to think that my ethernet port is busted or something or perhaps I'm still missing a driver even though windows hasn't alerted me?

Should I be looking to buy a new ethernet card or summat? Or is there diagnostic device I can use to check the port before I send pc for repair?

Ta.

TechAGNOSTIC
15-08-2008, 22:01
PROBLEM RESOLVED!! thanks whydoIneedtechsupport

Ethernet port on my 250 modem was non operational.

Explained this to customer services and was sent a new 256 modem in two days. Now able to do bog standard set up....typing this from my brand new wireless connection!

thanks all

Maggy
15-08-2008, 23:19
PROBLEM RESOLVED!! thanks whydoIneedtechsupport

Ethernet port on my 250 modem was non operational.

Explained this to customer services and was sent a new 256 modem in two days. Now able to do bog standard set up....typing this from my brand new wireless connection!

thanks all

Which posting solved the problem?Also could you nominate it here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/27/33636562-nominations-most-helpful-post-august-2008-a.html) in the Nominations for the Most Helpful Post for August.

TechAGNOSTIC
17-08-2008, 01:46
MaggyJ,

whydo I needtechsupport wrote ' it's a pity they didn't send you a new modem'. Which got me thinking so I tested both the ethernet port on my modem and all the different types of ethernet wires I have (with other devices). Reliased that ethernet port on pc WAS working, therefore problem lay with modem's ethernet port instead.
y
His advice was essentially to get a new modem! Is that suitable from your nomiantion thing?

whydoIneedatech
17-08-2008, 07:58
MaggyJ,

whydo I needtechsupport wrote ' it's a pity they didn't send you a new modem'. Which got me thinking so I tested both the ethernet port on my modem and all the different types of ethernet wires I have (with other devices). Reliased that ethernet port on pc WAS working, therefore problem lay with modem's ethernet port instead.
y
His advice was essentially to get a new modem! Is that suitable from your nomiantion thing?
I am just pleased it resolved your issue.