PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall USB connection, re-install to Ethernet?

swansealad
11-08-2008, 14:11
Hi, I have an NTL:Home supplied Cable modem (USB Cable Modem 351000) and my dad bought a Netgear WGR614 wireless router to go with it.

The problem is the router's instructions work on the modem being connected by ethernet cable, but ours is by USB. I've attempted to get round this and I've attempted to set it up through the ethernet using the supplied ntl:home Broad Band installer but I'm getting the vtruckdbg error. Now while I have seen threads linked to the problem, and finally got rid of that window on start-up, and understand it means the modem is already installed. I know that.

Is it possible to uninstall the modem in some form from the computer and re-install it on the ethernet connection? My dad's away right now so would I require any documentation or a phonecall to Virgin Media if I was to re-install?

Any help much appreciated.

zing_deleted
11-08-2008, 14:13
just remove the usb cable plug in the ethernet cable between the modem and the router . Unplug modem and router. Plug back in modem allow to settle then plug in the router allow to settle that should be all you need

swansealad
11-08-2008, 14:37
No, doesn't like it. Even if I plug the modem straight to the computer's ethernet it won't give a connection.

Re-did it just now and it gave a "Limited or no connectivity" notifcation. Given a menu and asked it to "repair". Attempted to re-new IP address but couldn't. Told to contact "The person who maintains the network"

And had to plug the modem back in via USB and turn off/turn on the modem to post this.

whydoIneedatech
11-08-2008, 14:38
No, doesn't like it. Even if I plug the modem straight to the computer's ethernet it won't give a connection.

Re-did it just now and it gave a "Limited or no connectivity" notifcation. Given a menu and asked it to "repair". Attempted to re-new IP address but couldn't. Told to contact "The person who maintains the network"

And had to plug the modem back in via USB and turn off/turn on the modem to post this.

Call Tech Support on 151 option 3 and ask for a modem with an Ethernet Port on it, problem solved.

swansealad
11-08-2008, 14:57
My modem does have an ethernet, it just doesn't like using it.

Before replacing the modem I'm going to get a new ethernet cable. Start with the cheapest option.

whydoIneedatech
11-08-2008, 14:58
My modem does have an ethernet, it just doesn't like using it.

Before replacing the modem I'm going to get a new ethernet cable. Start with the cheapest option.

The would be no charge for a replacement modem, what model is it you have at present.