PDA

View Full Version : 10 meg to 2.3 meg???

ginge51
08-08-2008, 14:56
Hi all :)

I've been on 4 meg for a few months now and last night i was reading a thread about the free upgrade to 10 meg.
I unplugged my modem and i got 9.6 download speeds, i admit i was downloading things last night.
So i get in from work before, stopped utorrent and now it's saying I've got a 2.3 meg speed?
Wtf, it should be atleast 5 meg shouldn't it seeing how i admit i have been downloading?
Plus what's the address so i can get to my modem?
And what should it read if i have been upgraded to 10 meg?

Fatec
08-08-2008, 14:57
I guess you hit the STM limits and get you're connection shaped.

Hugh
08-08-2008, 14:58
I don't think admitting you were downloading affects what speed they give you....;)

Downloading over the Traffic Management levels might.

ginge51
08-08-2008, 15:00
I thought though being on 10 meg now, if i do get capped which it seems so, i though they half you're speeds not take 3 quaters of you're speed away?
Muppets.
I would of rarther stayed on 4 meg as that didn't once ggo below 4 meg.

Kymmy
08-08-2008, 15:01
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

ginge51
08-08-2008, 15:07
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

It's important to remember that these traffic management policies only apply when the speeds are likely to be affected by people using more than their fair share.
That made me laugh "people using more than their fair share" wtf, i only downloaded a few gig ffs, nothing crazy.
When will my speed go back to 10 meg again?

Fatec
08-08-2008, 15:08
That made me laugh "people using more than their fair share" wtf, i only downloaded a few gig ffs, nothing crazy.
When will my speed go back to 10 meg again?

5 Hours after you hit the STM limit.

ginge51
08-08-2008, 15:11
5 Hours after you hit the STM limit.
What a rubbish service they provide.
Connection great mostly but this capping crap needs sorting out.
Why don't they start spending there "profits" to upgrade so more bandwidth can be used then they'll be no problem will there?
Stingy gits.
I'm leaving vm very shortly for bethere.

Fatec
08-08-2008, 15:11
What a **** service they provide.
Connection great mostly but this capping crap needs sorting out.
Why don't they start spending there "profits" to upgrade so more bandwidth can be used then they'll be no problem will there?
Stingy gits.

Because its easier to blame apparent "heavy" users than upgrade their network.

Besides, why upgrade the network when they can just keep giving out big bonuses every year? then complain about the debt they have.

Oh...and neil burkett is a complete muppet.

ginge51
08-08-2008, 15:14
Because its easier to blame apparent "heavy" users than upgrade their network.

Besides, why upgrade the network when they can just keep giving out big bonuses every year? then complain about the debt they have.

Oh...and neil burkett is a complete muppet.

Totally agree, why do we stay with them?
We should leave them so watch em come back begging for forgiviness, promising "unlimited broadband" once again.

Fatec
08-08-2008, 15:16
Totally agree, why do we stay with them?
We should leave them so watch em come back begging for forgiviness, promising "unlimited broadband" once again.

I left them, so i cant comment, i feel however that most stay with them because their isnt any alternatives, VM have a complete monopoly on the cable industry, if you want cable you have to choose them.

ADSL can and does give better speeds (without STM, shaping etc) provided you're near enough to the exchange (despite what some say you dont have to be right next to it to get great speeds) and are willing to cough up the premium for a good ISP.

Once BT starts rolling fibre out probably, along with H2o things should start moving :)

Kymmy
08-08-2008, 15:45
Which would you rather have....

STM for 5 hours or BT's new idea (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/63/33637190-bt-now-caps-everyone.html)