PDA

View Full Version : Please help me understand 50Mb internet...

weemax
07-08-2008, 00:53
Hello everyone & sorry if this post is in the wrong place & sorry for being such a noob :dunce:

BUT

I'm in N Ireland & see Northern Ireland has "completed" status for 50mb broadband service. Now i have looked for a long time on Virgins website, but to be honest its possibly the worst site i've ever had to navigate - that along with the email problem i had another go at sorting today (29 mails apparently & i cant access them :banghead: due to it not accepting my password - but thats another story)....

So, like i said ive looked on their site but really cant find much info about 50Mb! Although my exchange has been upgraded, i'm assuming it hasn't been rolled out yet?

Any ideas of prices? Please, just any info you have would be great! :LOL:

watzizname
07-08-2008, 01:01
Any comments regarding what tier 50Mb will be, or what it'll cost (when it becomes available) are pure speculation & rumour, as VM haven't released that information yet.

Your guess is as good as anyones :)

Ricksta7
07-08-2008, 01:03
Hello and welcome Weemax, I am a noob myself ;)

I found some details on the VM website, hope it helps a little...No price yet though.

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/upto-50mb-broadband.php

weemax
07-08-2008, 01:08
Awww, thats super guys ;)

So! Just to clarify, although my area (Northern Ireland) has "completed" status for 50Mb, they still have yet to release a date for "activation"?

Cheers for the welcome & the info - its appreciated :)

Caster
07-08-2008, 01:13
Ring cutomer services tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Good Luck :)

weemax
07-08-2008, 01:17
Well, allegedly Virgin CS dont know there a$$ from there elbow, thought peeps on here would:

a: Be more knowledgeable
b: Provide a faster answer

Thats all :) Im sure others have seen their area has "completed" status!

Graham M
07-08-2008, 01:31
Where does it say "Completed" for 50MBit?

weemax
07-08-2008, 01:54
:gpoint:

I was reading here http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html - but its for 10Mb upgrade :doh:

*Runs away & hides*

Thanks for the help anyhow guys, i'll just keep my eyes open - only ill read the info properly in future :dunce:

Zhadnost
07-08-2008, 09:23
Err, that's the schedule for upgrading 4MBit users to 10MBit.

The rollout of 50Mbit is afaik a mystery to us.

weemax
07-08-2008, 10:31
Errrrr.... So I already said on my post above yours - seems like i'm not the only one who doesn't read things properly around here :D

phil699
07-08-2008, 11:36
so we dont know when the 50mb rollouts will start?

Impz2002
07-08-2008, 13:58
50meg rollouts will begin towards the end of the year afaik !

but as with everything VM related its just a case of sitting tight and waiting for the info to be released. when the roll out starts VM will make sure everyone knows about it. They will be showing it off to the press and using it as a way to prove they are the no.1 broadband provider. I imagine they will parade it about in front of BT etc to show they are far ahead when it comes to high speed connections !

Impz

Zhadnost
07-08-2008, 14:05
For all we know, a lot of the headend work has been done at the same time as the 10MBit work.

weemax
07-08-2008, 14:27
Super info guys, greatly appreciated!

eth01
07-08-2008, 15:01
50mb will utilize DOCSIS 3. DOCSIS 3 is used by no other ISP in the UK -- now you'll understand why VM boast so much... they've only got BT to compete with, that said... BT will deliver it differently... *dances*

50mb will of course require the customer in question to have a DOCSIS 3 supported modem. Existing modems just won't support it, the methods are different to the way in which DOCSIS 1/2 operates.

In terms of bandwidth limitations, you'll definitely see an improved difference IMO.

That's all i've got on the matter.

Fatec
07-08-2008, 16:58
50mb will utilize DOCSIS 3. DOCSIS 3 is used by no other ISP in the UK -- now you'll understand why VM boast so much... they've only got BT to compete with, that said... BT will deliver it differently... *dances*

Incorrect.

1)VM are not using Docsis3, only pre-docsis3, there is a difference.

2)BT already use docsis3 in kent with FTTH (other parts of the network are docsis3 also)

3)Incorrect, Ask4 is also docsis3, that is how they can offer 25/25

4)H2o is also docsis3.

In terms of bandwidth limitations, you'll definitely see an improved difference IMO.

Also incorrect, The STM limits set for 50Mbit will only allow you 20minutes full usage just like the current STM setup.
That's all i've got on the matter.[/QUOTE]

eth01
07-08-2008, 17:08
Incorrect.

1)VM are not using Docsis3, only pre-docsis3, there is a difference.

2)BT already use docsis3 in kent with FTTH (other parts of the network are docsis3 also)

3)Incorrect, Ask4 is also docsis3, that is how they can offer 25/25

4)H2o is also docsis3.

Also incorrect, The STM limits set for 50Mbit will only allow you 20minutes full usage just like the current STM setup.
That's all i've got on the matter.[/QUOTE]

Please don't troll my posts, thank you.

ermm.. VM are the only cable ISP in the UK which are providing DOCSIS 3, absolutely. pre-docsis, if that's what you call DOCSIS 3 before full implementation, then sure.. :rolleyes:

BTW, the STM'ing will be different.. somebody please back me up on this.. sigh.

Fatec
07-08-2008, 17:09

ermm.. VM are the only cable ISP in the UK which are providing DOCSIS 3, absolutely. pre-docsis, if that's what you call DOCSIS 3 before full implementation, then sure.. :rolleyes:

I'm not trolling your posts.

VM are not the only cable ISP who are providing docsis3, Ask4 have provided docsis3 for a good few years, thankyou very much.

BT's network is fibre, essentially cable, and kent which is FTTH is cable, so i dont see you're point?

Err no, go read what docsis is, VM cannot afford a full docsis3 rollout, only pre, learn the differences.

eth01
07-08-2008, 17:12

I'm not trolling your posts.

VM are not the only cable ISP who are providing docsis3, Ask4 have provided docsis3 for a good few years, thankyou very much.

BT's network is fibre, essentially cable, and kent which is FTTH is cable, so i dont see you're point?

Err no, go read what docsis is, VM cannot afford a full docsis3 rollout, only pre, learn the differences.

There is no such thing in "pre-docsis", do you mean 50mb trials? It'd be nice if you could explain yourself, instead of trolling legit posts :)

The BT stuff was that they can provide such speeds too, but differently... not cable of course.

Fatec
07-08-2008, 17:15
Stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable

Go look what cable is.

BT in kent is FTTH which if fiber optic which is cable, so is ask4, you need to learn you're stuff :rolleyes:

So again, not trolling and bad repping me was immature.

eth01
07-08-2008, 18:07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable

Go look what cable is.

BT in kent is FTTH which if fiber optic which is cable, so is ask4, you need to learn you're stuff :rolleyes:

So again, not trolling and bad repping me was immature.

You're obviously a student then, Traxdata2.

"ask4's Student Internet Services are available in various Halls of Residence across the UK, including CRM Student Accommodation, Derwent Living, Liberty Living, Mainstay, Merlin, Opal, Quintain, Sheffield Hallam, Teesland, Unite and Victoria Hall."

I've said my piece and I'm sticking by it tbh. I'm not contributing to this thread from now FYI. :)

:welcome: back btw.

Fatec
07-08-2008, 18:22
You're obviously a student then, Traxdata2.

"ask4's Student Internet Services are available in various Halls of Residence across the UK, including CRM Student Accommodation, Derwent Living, Liberty Living, Mainstay, Merlin, Opal, Quintain, Sheffield Hallam, Teesland, Unite and Victoria Hall."

I've said my piece and I'm sticking by it tbh. I'm not contributing to this thread from now FYI. :)

:welcome: back btw.

They are also available in flats in sheffied, manchester and soon to be other places, so you should learn to read properly, as well ;)

Learn to read properly, they have also just put a full ring around sheffield to offer it on all new builds as well.

It doesnt matter how small of an area they provide to, they are still cable and still provide docsis3 25mbit both ways cable.

So my point and im sticking to it :)

Residential

ask4 provides high quality broadband to luxury city-living developments around the country.

25Mb! The Fastest Residential Broadband in the UK!

Package Name Price per month Download Speed Upload Speed
25 Meg * £50.00 25 Mbit/s 25 Mbit/s
10 Meg £25.00 10 Mbit/s 10 Mbit/s
4 Meg £15.00 4 Mbit/s 4 Mbit/s

Ty.

Maggy
07-08-2008, 18:32
OK can we please get back on topic which is to aid the OP in some understanding of 50Mb internet.

If you can't agree then maybe you can point the OP in the direction of somewhere that can help them to an understanding?

weemax
08-08-2008, 00:35
Its fine, i have 2 kids of my own - i know what they're like....

lol

fnkysknky
09-08-2008, 12:19
Sorry but just to clear something up, ask4's network is Ethernet based. DOCSIS isn't used on any part of it.

Fatec
09-08-2008, 12:30
Sorry but just to clear something up, ask4's network is Ethernet based. DOCSIS isn't used on any part of it.

The backcore network is docsis3 though..(the main core) then as far as im aware its FTTN then ethernet (cat5?/6?) through the apartments.

Zhadnost
09-08-2008, 12:39
Why when 10Gbit ethernet kit is so much cheaper?

(infact even 100Gbit ethernet would be cheaper and can run the full width of the country on a single hop).

fnkysknky
09-08-2008, 12:39
Trax, why do you assume that?

Fatec
09-08-2008, 12:52
Trax, why do you assume that?

Because it's what someone at your company told me when i rang to enquire about it :p:

Ignitionnet
09-08-2008, 12:52
The backcore network is docsis3 though..(the main core) then as far as im aware its FTTN then ethernet (cat5?/6?) through the apartments.

The backbone isnt DOCSIS 3 or DOCSIS of any kind. DOCSIS is exclusively an HFC standard and isn't run over fibre networks. If the system is FTTBuilding what's going down the fibre will be nothing more interesting than a variation of Ethernet going into a switch then Fast Ethernet down the UTP to each apartment.

BT's Ebbsfleet trial is not DOCSIS 3, its using GPON. Gigabit Passive Optical Network, which carries a variation of SDH/PoS. STM-16 downstream, STM-4 upstream to each PON splitter. Tad pointless throwing DOCSIS down there.

DOCSIS is an access network technology, not a core network technology and is used exclusively for delivery of bandwidth down HFC networks as they are uniquely constrained by having to deliver their bandwidth in 6/8MHz slices. It's completely pointless using it for FTTK/P networks, why cripple an unchannelised network with GHz of bandwidth by forcing it to use bonded 6/8MHz channels? You can send 2.4Gbit/s down GPON to a single customer, rather pointless sharing 200Mbit between them using DOCSIS.

The tech that VM will use will be EuroDOCSIS 3 Silver certified. The original trials in Ashford along with the equipment until certification was Pre-DOCSIS 3, which btw means that it hadn't passed the certification testing. I believe that the modems will be firmware upgradeable to EuroDOCSIS 3 Gold, as would the CMTS.

fnkysknky
09-08-2008, 13:02
Because it's what someone at your company told me when i rang to enquire about it :p:

Did they specifically mention DOCSIS? No idea why you were told that.

Fatec
09-08-2008, 13:10
The backbone isnt DOCSIS 3 or DOCSIS of any kind. DOCSIS is exclusively an HFC standard and isn't run over fibre networks. If the system is FTTBuilding what's going down the fibre will be nothing more interesting than a variation of Ethernet going into a switch then Fast Ethernet down the UTP to each apartment.

BT's Ebbsfleet trial is not DOCSIS 3, its using GPON. Gigabit Passive Optical Network, which carries a variation of SDH/PoS. STM-16 downstream, STM-4 upstream to each PON splitter. Tad pointless throwing DOCSIS down there.

DOCSIS is an access network technology, not a core network technology and is used exclusively for delivery of bandwidth down HFC networks as they are uniquely constrained by having to deliver their bandwidth in 6/8MHz slices. It's completely pointless using it for FTTK/P networks, why cripple an unchannelised network with GHz of bandwidth by forcing it to use bonded 6/8MHz channels? You can send 2.4Gbit/s down GPON to a single customer, rather pointless sharing 200Mbit between them using DOCSIS.

The tech that VM will use will be EuroDOCSIS 3 Silver certified. The original trials in Ashford along with the equipment until certification was Pre-DOCSIS 3, which btw means that it hadn't passed the certification testing. I believe that the modems will be firmware upgradeable to EuroDOCSIS 3 Gold, as would the CMTS.

Just going by what ask4 supervisor told me :p:

Learn something new everyday, rep given.

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

Did they specifically mention DOCSIS? No idea why you were told that.

Yep, got told docsis3 gold, did question it at the time but i got put through to a manager (?) who was adament the network was docsis3!

fnkysknky
09-08-2008, 13:15
Apologies for the confusion but I'm not sure who you spoke to or why they told you that. If you'd been put through to the manager that would have been myself. Strange :)

Pedro1
09-08-2008, 16:27
well, allegedly virgin cs dont know there a$$ from there elbow, thought peeps on here would:

A: Be more knowledgeable
b: Provide a faster answer

thats all :) im sure others have seen their area has "completed" status!

so true...so true...;)

deed02392
09-08-2008, 21:27
"In terms of ‘uploading’ speeds and details of our traffic management policy, these are still being worked on."

Does this mean they might actually be considering an upload speed that handles the overhead of 50Mbps downloads?

Fatec
09-08-2008, 21:58
"In terms of ‘uploading’ speeds and details of our traffic management policy, these are still being worked on."

Does this mean they might actually be considering an upload speed that handles the overhead of 50Mbps downloads?

1.5Mbit upload...

Tiger33
13-08-2008, 14:10
traffic management policy and upload speeds thats what im very interesting it..

any news on this yet?

Fatec
13-08-2008, 14:14
traffic management policy and upload speeds thats what im very interesting it..

any news on this yet?

Upload speed is 1.5Mbit (business package has been confirmed as 2Mbit upload and they always get more so...)

50Mbit has STM/Traffic management applied at the end of the trial.

The limits for this are low...20mins usage max as with other stm tiers.

Hugh
13-08-2008, 15:55
What does it reduce to?

Fatec
13-08-2008, 15:56
What does it reduce to?

Currently 10Mbit (512K upload).

Though i feel this will go upto 20Mbit at launch due to their HD service requiring 20Mbit minimum.