PDA

View Full Version : Losing my connection every so often...

breakerfall
06-08-2008, 14:17
Hi,

I'm losing my connection quite regularly. I'm having to renew the IP every morning when I wake up and several times throughout each day. This only started happening within the past week or two. I have an old STB cable modem, which replaced an even older C&W STB.

I don't seem to be able to access it on the address I've seen people post here (to check the frequencies), unless I should be attempting to access it via TFTP, which I haven't tried yet.

My setup: STB hooked up to an old Linksys BEFSR 11 router. Logging in to my router control panel, I can see that the DHCP lease has expired, so I have to renew it. It doesn't seem to be auto-renewing like it used to and for some reason, the lease time I'm given is fairly short. I think I'm going to have to try and monitor the STB at the time the connection drops, only, it's a PITA because there are 2 flights of stairs between the router and the STB. :sleep:

If I remember correctly, the lease time used to be around 3 days, where now it starts out at an hour. Renews automagically, lasts a few more hours, then dies and I have to restart the whole process again manually.

Has anybody heard any reports of similar behaviour, or have any ideas for diagnosing this problem (I've tried the usual modem & router reboot)?

Thanks!

whydoIneedatech
06-08-2008, 14:53
Hi,

I'm losing my connection quite regularly. I'm having to renew the IP every morning when I wake up and several times throughout each day. This only started happening within the past week or two. I have an old STB cable modem, which replaced an even older C&W STB.

I don't seem to be able to access it on the address I've seen people post here (to check the frequencies), unless I should be attempting to access it via TFTP, which I haven't tried yet.

My setup: STB hooked up to an old Linksys BEFSR 11 router. Logging in to my router control panel, I can see that the DHCP lease has expired, so I have to renew it. It doesn't seem to be auto-renewing like it used to and for some reason, the lease time I'm given is fairly short. I think I'm going to have to try and monitor the STB at the time the connection drops, only, it's a PITA because there are 2 flights of stairs between the router and the STB. :sleep:

If I remember correctly, the lease time used to be around 3 days, where now it starts out at an hour. Renews automagically, lasts a few more hours, then dies and I have to restart the whole process again manually.

Has anybody heard any reports of similar behaviour, or have any ideas for diagnosing this problem (I've tried the usual modem & router reboot)?

Thanks!
You would be better calling up Customer Services and asking for an upgrade to a Stand Alone Cable Modem as with your present STB you can only receive possibly up 6Mb depending on model, but with a SACM you can upgrade if you wanted to 20Mb, plus you would get a better connection.

The should be quite happy to upgrade you as the company would prefer all customers to swap to SACM.

Call Customer Care not Faults because they would have to transfer you as they cannot change your account.

Customer Care - 150 (Options 1 then 3)

Welshchris
06-08-2008, 14:55
try running it without the router for a day or so and see if u still have the same problems

admars
06-08-2008, 18:19
I phoned them up and said I kept getting disconnect for no reason (Pace STB) I used to have a modem at old house, never had the problem, asked to have a modem, and so they sent out an engineer to put a splitter, and add the modem.

whydoIneedatech
06-08-2008, 19:00
I phoned them up and said I kept getting disconnect for no reason (Pace STB) I used to have a modem at old house, never had the problem, asked to have a modem, and so they sent out an engineer to put a splitter, and add the modem.
The was a reason that damn Pace box!! ;)

breakerfall
09-08-2008, 00:00
Thanks for the responses... sorry I didn't reply, I didn't get an email, even though I've set it to automagically subscribe me and send me emails.

I suppose calling virgin would be the best idea - I'll try them tomorrow, though I guess if they're not open on a Saturday it'll have to wait until Monday morning.

sstainer
09-08-2008, 00:13
Thanks for the responses... sorry I didn't reply, I didn't get an email, even though I've set it to automagically subscribe me and send me emails.

I suppose calling virgin would be the best idea - I'll try them tomorrow, though I guess if they're not open on a Saturday it'll have to wait until Monday morning.

they are open saturday and sunday

breakerfall
09-08-2008, 17:09
You would be better calling up Customer Services and asking for an upgrade to a Stand Alone Cable Modem as with your present STB you can only receive possibly up 6Mb depending on model, but with a SACM you can upgrade if you wanted to 20Mb, plus you would get a better connection.

The should be quite happy to upgrade you as the company would prefer all customers to swap to SACM.

Call Customer Care not Faults because they would have to transfer you as they cannot change your account.

Customer Care - 150 (Options 1 then 3)

Bizarre, I tried calling today and I was told that they could send out a modem by post for free, but I would have to pay £30 for an engineer to come out and fit it if necessary, which I believe would be required as the cable will need splitting, right?

whydoIneedatech
09-08-2008, 17:13
Bizarre, I tried calling today and I was told that they could send out a modem by post for free, but I would have to pay £30 for an engineer to come out and fit it if necessary, which I believe would be required as the cable will need splitting, right?

No they send out a complete kit with a small inline splitter.

breakerfall
09-08-2008, 18:10
In that case, I'll request to have one sent out to me then. Hopefully that will fix this problem.

Brilliant - I'm on the phone again, this time, a different agent tells me I don't have to pay for the engineer to come out. Le sigh...

I'm just going to request that they send out the modem directly.

[edit]
Ok, apparently they're insisting on sending out the engineer (for free) now. They're telling me that because I already have an existing internet service with them, they can't just send me the splitter kit - I need to have an engi come out and do the work. I'm guessing that's not correct information either, but what can you do...

whydoIneedatech
09-08-2008, 19:49
In that case, I'll request to have one sent out to me then. Hopefully that will fix this problem.

Brilliant - I'm on the phone again, this time, a different agent tells me I don't have to pay for the engineer to come out. Le sigh...

I'm just going to request that they send out the modem directly.

[edit]
Ok, apparently they're insisting on sending out the engineer (for free) now. They're telling me that because I already have an existing internet service with them, they can't just send me the splitter kit - I need to have an engi come out and do the work. I'm guessing that's not correct information either, but what can you do...

When you order a self install kit everything you need is included such as cable, splitter , spanner and all fittings, if you received the wrong kit then they would have to send a Tech out to rectify the mix up.

breakerfall
09-08-2008, 20:11
When you order a self install kit everything you need is included such as cable, splitter , spanner and all fittings, if you received the wrong kit then they would have to send a Tech out to rectify the mix up.

I don't understand why the person I spoke to wouldn't agree to just send out the self-install kit. I asked a few times and she checked with her manager apparently. In the end, she insisted I have an engineer come out and do the job. I would have preferred to do it myself.

Oh well.

admars
09-08-2008, 20:32
When I asked for a modem, they just arranged for an engineer to come out and do it, no mention of doing it myself.

I would have thought the problem with letting you do it yourself, is that they don't know how competant you are, so if they haev a free engineer, it's easier to send one out in the first place, than risk you mesing it all upthem sending an engineer out to fix it, which could take longer.

whydoIneedatech
09-08-2008, 20:32
I don't understand why the person I spoke to wouldn't agree to just send out the self-install kit. I asked a few times and she checked with her manager apparently. In the end, she insisted I have an engineer come out and do the job. I would have preferred to do it myself.

Oh well.

At least if an engineer comes out you can have the modem sited where you want within reason, with a self install you get enough cable to have the modem behind the TV.

Do not let the engineer just plonk it behind the TV for his convenience, have him put where you want it.