PDA

View Full Version : running a game server!

erazer
05-08-2008, 13:34
Hi ALL

im on ntl/virgin buiness broadband

I have been haveing problems lately running my cod 4 server!!

connecting clients hang at the load screen for longer than normal.
while there doing that it laggs the server out!!!! when there in the game
all is well again!! untill the next client is connecting.

I have done all that can be done!! no firewall no virus soft running!
i have even taken my server to other friends house's who are on virgin
and the problem is still there.

I decided to try my other friends house who is with bt internet and run the
server from there! No problem what so ever! perfect.

it must be a problem with virgin internet????

anyone else had this problem???

regards

MovedGoalPosts
05-08-2008, 15:41
How many clients are to trying to support at once? Too many and all will suffer. Are you running custom maps or mods which mean the clients are downloading stuff as they connect? Are you running the latest server patch?

fugu
05-08-2008, 16:47
You could also try reducing the /sv_maxRate usually its set to 5000 which means clients will be downloading from your server at ~5kbs (rented servers will be at 25000, ~25kbs, which gives better reg, less lag issues) If you have any mods eg. pam/promod, clients will download this at ~10kbs as they connect, which as said, will affect the whole server. Hosting your own server isnt really worth the hassle tho due to the poor upload speed imo, when i have done so in the past the max players would be 4 +me, then it would crash.

erazer
05-08-2008, 16:48
How many clients are to trying to support at once? Too many and all will suffer. Are you running custom maps or mods which mean the clients are downloading stuff as they connect? Are you running the latest server patch?

Hi m8

i can have 20 clients and this problem starts after 3 have joined ok!!!
have the latest patches !! no download allowed from server no custom
maps. Iv been running server for a long time. so i know all the pit falls
that could stop clients connecting.

server useing port 28960

This would not explane why it only happens on ntl/virgin internet and not on bt??

When i tryed it at my friends house's one 10 miles away diffrend ubr still had the problem!! so it not local issue.

regards

thanks anyway

Jelly
05-08-2008, 18:07
Virgin Media connections have pretty poor upload speeds; hosting from home is not a good idea.

erazer
05-08-2008, 18:37
Virgin Media connections have pretty poor upload speeds; hosting from home is not a good idea.

Hi m8

If it is that!!! when i ask them before i aggreed with buisness broadband i told them that i will be running a game server.They said its no problem?

If true they should of said!!! and i was running a game server on ntl before
without problems!!!

Is anyone else haveing problems like me!!!!
this is doing my head in!!!

Have reported this problem and have a fault ref number
but they haven been intouch since!!!!

regards

Jamsta
06-08-2008, 22:23
With some games (Crysis) you can only get 16 players max, before the uplink is maxed out.

COD4/TF2 seem to use less bandwidth (no vehicles in game), so you can maybe do 20 players max. More than 20 player is lag city for everyone.

This is on a 20mb (768k uplink).

10mb and 2mb is worse (less than 16 players)

erazer
06-08-2008, 22:53
With some games (Crysis) you can only get 16 players max, before the uplink is maxed out.

COD4/TF2 seem to use less bandwidth (no vehicles in game), so you can maybe do 20 players max. More than 20 player is lag city for everyone.

This is on a 20mb (768k uplink).

10mb and 2mb is worse (less than 16 players)

Hi m8

Im on 10mb (768 uplink

so thats not the problem!!

anyone else on ntl running a cod4 server haveing same problems???
if so it will help to try to locate the problem area

thanks