PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to 10MB and now it's intermittent - how can I get help?

sheppy99
30-07-2008, 16:50
Hi All,
I've been upgraded to 10MB and now my cable service drops out several times a day. The log on the cable modem doesn't state any problems but my router drops out.
This happened last time I was at 10MB and was so bad I installed a backup ADSL line and downgraded my cable modem to 4MB which made it reliable.
Downstream power level 0.2dBmv
Downstream S/N level 41.0 dB
Upstream power level 51.0 dBmv
Modem is an NTL 250 using ethernet
I get 1.2MB/s Downloads when it's working.
Please help, this is somewhat more involved than reboot your modem and previous experience talking to India didn't work!!!!

Richy99
30-07-2008, 17:00
have you tried it connected directly to the modem to rule out irt being a rourter issue? as if you say it did this before im inclined to think its a router issue

are you hard wirted or using wireless on the router?

sheppy99
30-07-2008, 17:16
Thanks for the reply. I'm afraid it's a bit difficult to disconnect everything and nothing physically has changed, I rebooted the modem yesterday, got 10mb instead of 4 and the problems started. The modem is connected to my failover router then onwards to my firewall with Ethernet, as a precaution I've rebooted everything. All was reliabe until yesterday mid morning until the upgrade happened, nothing changed this end. Anybody know if anything else changed apart from a different modem config file?

xspeedyx
30-07-2008, 17:18
Maybe your modem cant handle the connection ring tsc with your modem directly connected as they wont do trouble shooting without you doing this.

I know the 250 can do 10mb but maybe its on its way out plus see if you can try a different router

Richy99
30-07-2008, 17:20
nopthing changes apart from the speed, sounds to me like the router or something else cannot handle it

if you are not able to plug the cpmputer directly into the modem then its going to be hard to troubleshoot

sounds to me like something router/firewall cannot handle the speed of the conenction

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:19 ----------

Maybe your modem cant handle the connection ring tsc with your modem directly connected as they wont do trouble shooting without you doing this.

I know the 250 can do 10mb but maybe its on its way out plus see if you can try a different router

the only modems that cannot do 10meg havent been supplied for years, the tailfin, the cmx and the surfboard 3100 iirc

sheppy99
30-07-2008, 17:29
Is there a number I can call to get through to the more advanced tech team? It's working at the moment so speaking to India I guess will get me a there's nothing wrong response.

Impz2002
30-07-2008, 17:32
My advice would be to post on the support newsgroups they are pretty clued up on there !

Impz

sheppy99
30-07-2008, 17:41
OK I'm going to really sound thick.... where are the support newsgroups and can they help directly?

sheppy99
31-07-2008, 15:47
It failed through the night at odd intervals until 4am when it worked until late morning, I called CS who made a few notes and asked me to connect it direct to a PC next time it starts playing up. I did this and it failed so I called back and they are sending a new modem. Watch this space.
Odd how it works for ages then goes into a regular strop.

sstainer
31-07-2008, 16:08
OK I'm going to really sound thick.... where are the support newsgroups and can they help directly?

newsgroups via outlook
http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up.php
how too written here

for future reference maybe as you said new modem on route