PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Management Joke

thedash71
30-07-2008, 14:18
G'day,

Is it me or is anyone else constantly experiencing traffic management enforcement during 1000-1500? :wtf:

Quote from Virgin's traffic management page:

"In extreme cases, we’ll now also reduce the speed between 10am and 3pm – something that’ll have an impact on just 1% of our customers."

Now, I am far from an extreme case, considering the fact I don't download daily, and when I do I make sure it's overnight outside management hours (if there is actually an 'outside' period).

This is absolutely infuriating. I have rang technical support (oh dear) and failed miserably to get anywhere. Virgin aren't being honest about this policy. It's about time they were taken to task over the shabby treatment of their customers.

Cheers,
Dash

icestar2
30-07-2008, 14:22
I am traffic managed from 4pm to 12am everyday and all day most weekends. This happens not matter what. I dont have to download anything at all I am automatically Traffic Managed at these times. Bloody annoying indeed since there the times I most wish to use my connection as I was in a FPS clan but can no longer play anymore due to these issues !

LondonRoad
30-07-2008, 14:30
I thought from the thread's title that I'd be reading a funny here.:(

grubbymitts
30-07-2008, 14:35
Yeah, misleading title is misleading. I was expecting "A man walks into a Virgin Media Bar. Well, when I say walk he crawled. Same man asks for a Gin and Tonic. Barman gives him tonic and says come back in 5hrs for your gin!"
That sort of thing!

LondonRoad
30-07-2008, 14:37
That's an improvement....... but only just:D

thedash71
30-07-2008, 15:09
I thought from the thread's title that I'd be reading a funny here.

Oh well, sorry to disappoint you, but the joke's most definitely on us - and it's the people at Virgin who are laughing. Very loudly.

I am traffic managed from 4pm to 12am everyday and all day most weekends.

I also get traffic managed at those times too in addition to the above!!!! It's effing driving me mad.

moaningmags
30-07-2008, 15:09
If you feel your traffic managed incorrectly, take screenshots of your download or upload proof. Post in the newsgroups and have it raised as a fault.

v0id
30-07-2008, 15:23
No, whenever I need the speed I get the speed

KevAmiga
30-07-2008, 15:41
Im traffic managed most days... odd really as i dont do that much downloading. I just cant be bothered to chase it up to be honest...

:td:

icestar2
30-07-2008, 15:48
If you feel your traffic managed incorrectly, take screenshots of your download or upload proof. Post in the newsgroups and have it raised as a fault.

Done this twice now, told to look at my config and post results so did. They got an engineer out who looked at the modem and pretented to change some settings and then said everythings fine now. When he left I checked the config again and it was exactly the same nothing changed at all. Traffic managment goes on.

moaningmags
30-07-2008, 16:21
An engineer cannot change your config file.
Config file changes are done by customer service or technical support.
Traffic management doesn't change your config file either.
Traffic management is done from the ubr.
If you can prove you haven't downloaded or uploaded the limit it has to be raised as a fault with something on the ubr, a tech coming to your house can't fix it.
If I was you, I'd keep chasing it.

Should point out a config file change results in a price change too.
And can be done by other depts but not by a tech in the field.

icestar2
30-07-2008, 17:17
An engineer cannot change your config file.
Config file changes are done by customer service or technical support.
Traffic management doesn't change your config file either.
Traffic management is done from the ubr.
If you can prove you haven't downloaded or uploaded the limit it has to be raised as a fault with something on the ubr, a tech coming to your house can't fix it.
If I was you, I'd keep chasing it.

Should point out a config file change results in a price change too.
And can be done by other depts but not by a tech in the field.

Thats what I thought but according to the guy on the newsgroups my signal levels were to low and an engineer would have to come out and correct them. Engineer did come out but obviously didnt change anything (understand why now thnx) as the levels are exactly the same. Also this doesnt account for me being able to get full speed as soon as it hits midnight.

If I had another option I would go but were I live I dont unless I want around 1.5mb. I would think with being with them for around 8 years and always paying my bills that I would get a better service than this.

Guess I will keep trying but them sending out an engineer again is not going to do anything so am not sure what to do now tbh.

moaningmags
30-07-2008, 17:56
The tech should certainly have been able to adjust your power levels or snr levels.
If he hasn't changed any of these then I'd ask for another engineer and have your comp on and open at the information from the newsgroups.
If he looks clueless ask him to call and speak to 2nd line directly.
Please don't be put off by not fully understanding the problem or it's causes.
Point the tech in the right direction, by telling him I've told this that or the other by your technical support dept.
And if he rubbishes what you've been told then demand he call in to confirm or refute what you've been told.
If it's slow but not being traffic managed then it sounds like a high tx load on your ubr.
Ask in the newsgroups if that is the case.
Post traceroutes ping tests, download results, preferably from gamefiles and keep doing it until the issue is resolved.

I work for VM and have a tech coming tomorrow to sort my phone line. Now I know nothing at all about how the phone works, but I won't just leave him to it, I'll be out there watching what he's doing asking allsorts of questions about how he'll fix it.
For me, this doesn't just apply to dealing with VM, I do this with every company's techs or engineers. I'm a right royal PITA. I do find that I get answers though so worth it.

Mags

Rone
30-07-2008, 18:18
"I'm a right royal PITA. I do find that I get answers though so worth it."

No your not, you have the right idea. :)

icestar2
30-07-2008, 18:34
The tech should certainly have been able to adjust your power levels or snr levels.
If he hasn't changed any of these then I'd ask for another engineer and have your comp on and open at the information from the newsgroups.
If he looks clueless ask him to call and speak to 2nd line directly.
Please don't be put off by not fully understanding the problem or it's causes.
Point the tech in the right direction, by telling him I've told this that or the other by your technical support dept.
And if he rubbishes what you've been told then demand he call in to confirm or refute what you've been told.
If it's slow but not being traffic managed then it sounds like a high tx load on your ubr.
Ask in the newsgroups if that is the case.
Post traceroutes ping tests, download results, preferably from gamefiles and keep doing it until the issue is resolved.

I work for VM and have a tech coming tomorrow to sort my phone line. Now I know nothing at all about how the phone works, but I won't just leave him to it, I'll be out there watching what he's doing asking allsorts of questions about how he'll fix it.
For me, this doesn't just apply to dealing with VM, I do this with every company's techs or engineers. I'm a right royal PITA. I do find that I get answers though so worth it.

Mags

Thanks I guess I will try again then and hope for the best. Again thanks for the responses.