PDA

View Full Version : Why does my VPN drop out every 45-60min

shulbert
30-07-2008, 00:16
Hi,

Been a tiscali customer for years and just switched to Virgin Cable. Got my Netgear wireless router free with the self-install package. Laptop connects fine - excellent signal strength. Very quick downloads. Just one problem. I establish my VPN tunnel link to connect to my emplyer, and it won't remain up more than 1 hour, meaning a re-connect and many re-logging in to applications etc. Tiscali never suffered these problems. The VPN would stay connected happily for days. Virgin support say that the wireless link is the cause - but the wireless doesn't drop out that I notice. Has anyone else experienced these issues? can anything be done? I'm actually thinking of cancelling the Virgin setup because it just doesn't perform the way I need - reliable connection through the daytime. But when it is connected it is great. And a user who does not use VPN would never notice the issue.

Graham M
30-07-2008, 00:38
I have moved your thread to the correct section and approved your post, please do not post questions in the article section as it is a read only section meant for information only.

:welcome:

Zhadnost
31-07-2008, 15:12
Do you have any more details? I have an openvpn setup that is rock solid here.

indie1982
02-08-2008, 10:35
I use 2 VPN's from home over a VM connection. Both are rock solid, 1 runs on a Cisco PIX 501 and the other is just a server running OS X 10.5.

Have you tried removing the Netgear wireless router and trying to keep a connection up?

I know some routers you have to enable VPN tunneling before you can connect outbound to a VPN server, but IIRC you can't change many options on the VM supplied hardware?

videodj
02-08-2008, 12:10
I have a similar problem, VPN works fine over a wired connection, but drops out when using wireless, even though the connection is fine. I am using a Linksys router with DD-WRT firmware. I have the VPN passthroughs enabled.
My dad has the same setup and his VPN works fine over wireless, so it could possibly be a software issue, but as yet I have not solved the issue.

So if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Zhadnost
02-08-2008, 12:16
Have you tried using the OpenVPN client that is on the firmware of the router?

In practice it seems to be a bit flaky for the first couple of minutes and then fine. (I'm not running it like that here, but I have set it up at a clients house).