PDA

View Full Version : Reliable Way Of Testing Speed? Maybe

Jonathan90
29-07-2008, 13:36
ok found this test which can test from multiple servers tcp and udp

seems to give my max speed so give it a try people post results.

bmxbandit
29-07-2008, 13:44
Something you forgot from the post... (http://sourceforge.net/projects/tptest/) ;)

Probably no more or less reliable than any other test - still plenty of uncontrollable factors in the middle.

Angry@VMedia
29-07-2008, 13:44
Dunno about a "reliable way" but it could get you STM'd quickly if you use this a lot!

As for a reliable test, I am on 10Mb and it hardly touched full 10Mb speeds, I max out my connection via newsgroups.

EDIT: download link HERE (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=55924&package_id=60295&release_id=135338)

Jonathan90
29-07-2008, 13:47
lol ye sorry forgot about that. no idea why its not as good for you,almost every speedtest comes out as 4 mb for me.

Angry@VMedia
29-07-2008, 13:50
lol ye sorry forgot about that why is it it will max my connection out then? no idea man speedtest are relaible for me. amost every speed test i've done came out as 4 mb

lol probably because they dont have the capacity or the file size to max out 10Mb, now I am not saying this IS the case, it is only 1 probable!

Admittedly I need to use around 5-6 threads to max out on newsgroups, but use the maximum of 32 for all my downloads, seems to work quite well too!
I sometimes feel a bit guilty for using 100% of my connection to download for around 1-2hrs a day, then i think sod it, I am paying for it, why not use it :D :angel:

i-Set
29-07-2008, 14:05
As for a reliable test, I am on 10Mb and it hardly touched full 10Mb speeds, I max out my connection via newsgroups.

ive heard quite a lot of people say you can max out your speed by using newsgroups...how does this work can someone tell me please and is it free?

RealDiamond
29-07-2008, 14:10
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1054comboupdate.html

just down load this big file. even in a normal web browser it hits 10M/s just in the browsers downloader in less than 4 secs. you may not like macs but Apples hosting for update files is brilliant.
+ every version of OSX has a built in activity monitor that shows how much network activity there is.

whydoIneedatech
29-07-2008, 14:12
If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below which is from a dedicated server within the Virgin Media network, hence the is no www. before the address.
Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/
click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running> times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.

Angry@VMedia
29-07-2008, 14:17
ive heard quite a lot of people say you can max out your speed by using newsgroups...how does this work can someone tell me please and is it free?

It works by using more than 1 connection for downloading, if I understand it rightly, it means it downloads more than 1 part of the file at once, thus maxing out your download speeds.

As for if it is free, it depends, if you use Virgin's own newsgroups then yes it is free!
Just google GrabIt, then when that is downloaded and installed, run it and set the server to: news.virginmedia.com and set the "maximum allowed connections" to whatever you want, as I say, 5-6 maxes out, but you can have upto 32 connections maximum!

bmxbandit
29-07-2008, 14:20
If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below which is from a dedicated server within the Virgin Media network, hence the is no www. before the address.
So, http://bt.com/ is in the Virgin network too? ;)

Richy99
29-07-2008, 14:22
why you need to use 32 i will never know, if anything it will slow the connection down a bit fue to the overheads it is using, you are better off just using the number of connections needed to fill the connection as you are just causing unnecessary strain on the srever and the connection

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

Have you tried going to this link to check your speeds http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/
click on blueyondergames>demos>then click on at least 2 large files and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running> times them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.

just means that the www isnt mapped to it not that its a dedicated server within the network

whydoIneedatech
29-07-2008, 14:26
So, http://bt.com/ is in the Virgin network too? ;)

I think thats within the BT network :D

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

just means that the www isnt mapped to it not that its a dedicated server within the network

How do you work it out that it is not within the Virgin network then?

Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at gamefiles.virginmedia.com Port 80

Angry@VMedia
29-07-2008, 14:32
why you need to use 32 i will never know, if anything it will slow the connection down a bit fue to the overheads it is using, you are better off just using the number of connections needed to fill the connection as you are just causing unnecessary strain on the srever and the connection

This is why I get my downloads from newsgroups at a whopping 1.24MegaBtes a second!

And I use 32 connections because I can!
Anyway this is getting a little off topic so I will leave it here :)

Jonathan90
29-07-2008, 15:31
don't want to be a noob but eny screenshots? plus i think they have enough bandwidth tbh its sweden lol they have serious connections over there

altis
29-07-2008, 16:00
If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the link below which is from a dedicated server within the Virgin Media network...

The Speed Test given at the head of this page runs from homepage.ntlworld.com which, I'm guessing, is hosted on the VM network too.

;)

Richy99
29-07-2008, 16:04
I think thats within the BT network :D

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

How do you work it out that it is not within the Virgin network then?

Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at gamefiles.virginmedia.com Port 80

i never said it wasnt within the network!

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

This is why I get my downloads from newsgroups at a whopping 1.24MegaBtes a second!

And I use 32 connections because I can!
Anyway this is getting a little off topic so I will leave it here :)

yes it but you will find tht just because you can use 32 connections that it is not always better

dave6x
29-07-2008, 16:47
I usually download from Newsgroups using 8 threads and connection usually maxes out at 1.2MB/s, but rarely see any more than 500-600KB/s on any speedtest often much less than that.

Interesting thing happened last night. Started a 1GB download in newsgroups, was only running at 700KB/s, disabled Avast On-Access Protection and speed went up to 1.2MB/s and remained at that level when I enabled Avast On-Access Protection again!

Kymmy
29-07-2008, 16:50
Newsgroups I can max out 6 connections at 1.2MBps and on speedtest.net I can always hit full speed.

The only time I get any slowdown is when someone is accessing my webserver

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
29-07-2008, 19:02
The Speed Test given at the head of this page runs from homepage.ntlworld.com which, I'm guessing, is hosted on the VM network too.

;)

If you ring Virgin then the only speed test they will accept is the gamefiles one.

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

i never said it wasnt within the network

Sorry for the way that posted, I was meaning to show that its a specific Server as you can see from the address, and that is its function.