PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroups problems

Oggmonster
27-07-2008, 22:38
Hi there!
Since the early hours of yesterday morning i've been unable to download anything from virgin's usenet servers, grabit keeps returning the message "article not found" whether using nzb's or otherwise. Theres seems to be no problem updating the groups or grouplist.
Anyone know if there are any issues with the newsgroups right now? :(

Cheers!

Help!!!
27-07-2008, 23:30
Giganews works fine for me.

homealone
28-07-2008, 00:04
:welcome: Oggmonster - no problem, for me, logging into the VM news server - however I use GigaNews severs for nzb downloads, so cannot comment on that specific problem, other than to say that the VM servers do not carry all the groups/files available on usenet ..

HSp8
28-07-2008, 08:06
VM servers working fine now for nzb's

Angry@VMedia
28-07-2008, 09:35
The only problem I have with their newsgroups are lack of (english) content that I like or am into!

Guess I really have to save up for a pay as you go credit card & move over to gigganews :)

OP: are you sure you was trying to download stuff from virgin's servers and not from usenet search?
I have done that a few times by mistake, and the problem was that it trys to download from your default server (our case, news.virginmedia as apposed to usenet's servers) and this is where I find I get the "Article not found" error

HTH

Richy99
28-07-2008, 10:56
Hi there!
Since the early hours of yesterday morning i've been unable to download anything from virgin's usenet servers, grabit keeps returning the message "article not found" whether using nzb's or otherwise. Theres seems to be no problem updating the groups or grouplist.
Anyone know if there are any issues with the newsgroups right now? :(

Cheers!

how old are the posts? sounds like they are not on the server anymore

Oggmonster
28-07-2008, 11:44
The posts are only 2 days old which is annoying. Seem to be able to download newer stuff now, but I thought the retention was meant to be 7 days? :rolleyes:

Mr_T
29-07-2008, 20:40
well it is a free service that VM dont have to supply

eth01
29-07-2008, 20:43
well it is a free service that VM dont have to supply

it's sort of.. tradition, really... by no means is it the best, but it's certainly better than many others. if you don't like it, DON'T use them. simple.

Zanny
29-07-2008, 21:00
mostly posts seem to last about 7 days but some of the groups which are listed in the groups arent really there,it'll say something like 100000 posts but after downloading the headers you end up with 3 posts or so :( its nowhere near as bad as it was in the ntlworld server days though so im happier they leasted out their newsgroups servers :)