PDA

View Full Version : Real Numbers "Who has Left VirGrim"

Berealwith
27-07-2008, 19:00
I have read a few posts about Lots of people leaving in droves from "VirGrim", i just wondered who has left. So as not to get this post highjacked. please only post reply and its not a bitching session either.

Can you just post i have left or serving temination thanks

and a short note why

P.s i have left, because UBR needed upgrading and dates just kept changing

Kymmy
27-07-2008, 19:29
I left Virgin because instead I joined NTL-telewest business ;)

Kymmy

whydoIneedatech
27-07-2008, 19:43
This could be an interesting thread especially if the reasons are posted.

eth01
27-07-2008, 21:05
I left Virgin because instead I joined NTL-telewest business ;)

Kymmy

same thing really :)

piggy
27-07-2008, 21:31
i still want to know what a drove is.

slug
27-07-2008, 21:47
i still want to know what a drove is.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/droves

piggy
27-07-2008, 22:26
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/droves

so if 2 is company and 3 is a crowd, a drove is defined as a crowd then virgin have nothing to worry about :p:

Dephormation
27-07-2008, 23:02
You'll find the full figures for Q2 2008 here shortly;

http://investors.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=135485&p=irol-latestresults

Personally, I left because of Phorm. I don't believe Virgins assurances that they haven't deployed Phorm, and won't allow a single byte of my web traffic to pass through a DPI behavioural targeting system.

spiderplant
27-07-2008, 23:19
If you want to know the real numbers, look at the quarterly reports. Here (http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1141868&highlight=) is the last one. Yes, some customers are leaving, but higher numbers are joining.

Interestingly the report quotes the numbers using terms such as "customers" and "RGUs". No mention of "droves" at all. Do Virgin have something to hide? :)

Enuff
28-07-2008, 00:19
I'll be hanging up the NTL:250 on the 16th August. Simply because I can't afford it.

mart44
28-07-2008, 07:56
...its not a bitching session either.
Changing the Virgin name to 'VirGrim' makes it seem otherwise.

Angry@VMedia
28-07-2008, 09:14
Changing the Virgin name to 'VirGrim' makes it seem otherwise.

Yes I agree!
Also, wasn't there some ruling that namecalling of the provider (be it Telewest, NTL or Virgin) would not be tollerated at all?

Impz2002
28-07-2008, 12:33
this thread is flawed for two reasons :-

A) people who have left are not likely to frequent this forum anymore. I understand there are a few die hard users on here who have stayed on but most will leave for a forum about thier new provider.

B) you will never get a real and prescise estimation as to how many people have really left as this forum represents such a tiny part of VM's customer base.

The only people who know the real figures are Virgin themselves but at a guess on balance i imagine the amout of broadband users is growing as more and more people are getting broadband and VM is a prominent provider with alot of advertising.

I think in general VM's product is very good and i know some people have issues but that is part and parcel of all ISP's. Im more than happy with my connection even with STM as it is reliable and fast (for me anyways)

Impz

Paranoimia
28-07-2008, 13:48
Not likely to leave. My 20MB service has been flawless 99% of the time, and while I'm against the Phorm business, the simple fact is that if I went elsewhere, I'd get a fraction of the speed.

xspeedyx
28-07-2008, 15:17
Not likely to leave. My 20MB service has been flawless 99% of the time, and while I'm against the Phorm business, the simple fact is that if I went elsewhere, I'd get a fraction of the speed.

Thats me too however I get a good deal and my speeds have been crappy for last 7-9 months but adsl 2 can give me upto 3mb max

Aser
28-07-2008, 15:44
I'm trying to leave, but am locked into the contract for another 3 or 4 months.

CrowmanUK
28-07-2008, 17:00
Moved to BE a while back, wholly due to the Fair Use Policy being incorrect at the time I signed up, and on ADSL it makes a BIG!!! difference

lordy
28-07-2008, 17:11
I left because of Phorm, increasing STM , BPI love fest , customer services
[cost of support calls and the whole money back if it's not your fault thing, though this is reportedly free again it left a bad taste in my mouth]..

I was getting 4M (just about to be upgraded to 10M), now I'm on a slower ADSL connection for about the same money (including rental) 3.5M but I get 800kbps upload which is very useful and makes up for the difference in my mind.

I would have added cost as an excuse but the 10M upgrade ruled that out. I just generally think VM is a badly run network despite superior technology, and they dont want people like me (fairly heavy downloaders)

Even with 10M + stm I could download more than a striaght 3.5M but it would just be frustrating to be STM'd just at that time I wanted something in a hurry.

Impz2002
28-07-2008, 18:50

I have to agree 1000% whole-heartedly with that comment. well said :)

The grass isnt always greener on the other side !

Impz

Florence
28-07-2008, 19:02
I left VM as they had kept putting back the date for upgrades and many nights I had speeds of 512k or total lose of connection for upto 2 hours.. add to this the idea they had of adding phorm to the networkl was what made me decide to pay for a BT line again and go.

Impz2002
28-07-2008, 19:03
I just generally think VM is a badly run network despite superior technology, and they dont want people like me (fairly heavy downloaders)

The virgin network will improve alot in the coming year. If they stick to thier plan of moving 20Mbit customers onto the DOCSIS3 network it will make the world of difference for everyone. I know people think STM is a quick fix and they are right it is but i would rather have STM now and a more reliable service later. Its like owning a clapped out old metro. do you spend 1000's in parts nursing the tired over-used engine back to health or do you save up and buy a brand new Volkswagen polo ? the latter option may take longer but the benefit out weighs the pitfalls ! give VM a chance they will prevail !

VM like the heavy downloaders as they buy the top tiers ! obviously a top tier customer who dosnt download alot is better but any 20meg user for VM is welcome in thier book and thats why STM is there to keep some form of control !

Call me cynical but i honestly beleive one day not too far into the future we will see the end of the evil STM !!!!

my god have i gone mad ??

/me has gone for a lie down !

Impz :beer::omg::beer:

Toto
28-07-2008, 19:11
Staying, been with the network since CableTel days. They stuck by me when I was in serious financial trouble, which I am glad to say is well behind me now thanks. They are not perfect, but having added family and friends to VM numbers just on the BB alone, I personally think they are the best BB provider out there.

Looking forward to 20Mb moving to docsis 3, not truly convinced yet about the 50Mb service, but time will tell.

Bit concerned about Phorm, but not so concerned that I would leave.

Get rid of that stupid play on the virgin name, and drop in a poll, and I might even vote too.

i-Set
28-07-2008, 20:19
The virgin network will improve alot in the coming year. If they stick to thier plan of moving 20Mbit customers onto the DOCSIS3 network it will make the world of difference for everyone. I know people think STM is a quick fix and they are right it is but i would rather have STM now and a more reliable service later.

Call me cynical but i honestly beleive one day not too far into the future we will see the end of the evil STM !!!!

Dude whats up with the stupid rename of Virgin, anyways ive been around with many other providers such as as bt, aol etc and hand on heart I honestly believe Virgin Media to be in a league of its own, its service has been quality as i always get 20mb+ download but i dont like the fact that there is STM but apart from that, its a top notch provider.

Impz is there any actual confirmation that the 20mb service will be moving onto the docsis3 platform and if it does, how will it help other users, and after 50mb and 20mb are on docsis3 what makes you believe STM will be gone, every customer rep ive spoken to says the STM is here to stay for a long time...

Toto
28-07-2008, 20:36
Dude whats up with the stupid rename of Virgin, anyways ive been around with many other providers such as as bt, aol etc and hand on heart I honestly believe Virgin Media to be in a league of its own, its service has been quality as i always get 20mb+ download but i dont like the fact that there is STM but apart from that, its a top notch provider.

Impz is there any actual confirmation that the 20mb service will be moving onto the docsis3 platform and if it does, how will it help other users, and after 50mb and 20mb are on docsis3 what makes you believe STM will be gone, every customer rep ive spoken to says the STM is here to stay for a long time...

Yes, Berkett said it was migrating 20Mb to docsis 3, the link to the audio interview is on another thread.

Top link, June 4th file.

http://investors.virginmedia.com/pho...onsVirginMedia (http://investors.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=135485&p=irol-presentationsVirginMedia)

pxr5
29-07-2008, 09:04
I am leaving as I'm moving house to a non-cable area. I admit I have been totally happy with my 20Mbit connection, and the STM issue can be worked around.

Where I'm going to does have Be* though, so I'm not too unhappy. :)

LondonRoad
29-07-2008, 09:07
Dude whats up with the stupid rename of Virgin, time...

I think Toto meant the mentions of Virgrim

i-Set
29-07-2008, 14:17
Yes, Berkett said it was migrating 20Mb to docsis 3, the link to the audio interview is on another thread.

ok ill take your word for it as i dont wanna sign up to that site, however what proof is there that after moving 20mb onto docsis 3, the network will be more efficient which will then allow Virgin Media to remove the STM, as Impz believes

dont get me wrong as i REALLY want to see STM get rid off, even though i avoid it quite often, but i just dont see VM removing STM in the foreseeable future

Toto
29-07-2008, 18:12
ok ill take your word for it as i dont wanna sign up to that site, however what proof is there that after moving 20mb onto docsis 3, the network will be more efficient which will then allow Virgin Media to remove the STM, as Impz believes

dont get me wrong as i REALLY want to see STM get rid off, even though i avoid it quite often, but i just dont see VM removing STM in the foreseeable future

I didn't say he said they were planning on removing STM, only that they are moving 20Mb to Docsis 3 :)

Moving it to docsis 3 will probably provide a more reliable 20Mb experience, although that is to be seen.

watzizname
29-07-2008, 20:02
Well, i'm waiting to see what happens when those of us on 20Mb are moved over.
If they keep stm, i'll downgrade, until i find another isp that meets my needs.

I've a horrible suspicion the docsis 3 move is only being implemented to facilitate even more expansionism on their part.

As for the comments claiming that more people have signed up than have left, thats probably true, however, as new customers are tied into 12 month contracts, i think it'll be sometime before we see just how much damage has really been done to this company's reputation.

Personally, i'd prefer to be associated with a provider that treats its paying customers with some level of respect, instead of one that seems to prioritise its own legal protection, allowing it to make up or bend its own rules, anytime it feels like it.

Not gone yet, but certainly thinking about it..

Zain
29-07-2008, 20:25
would be interesting if they took off STM off the 20MB package under the docsis 3...although i doubt it..does anyone know when there going to move us?

eth01
29-07-2008, 20:27
would be interesting if they took off STM off the 20MB package under the docsis 3...although i doubt it..does anyone know when there going to move us?

you're staying put. you're not moving anywhere.

Zain
29-07-2008, 20:30
oh lol my bad

Toto
29-07-2008, 22:03
Personally, i'd prefer to be associated with a provider that treats its paying customers with some level of respect, instead of one that seems to prioritise its own legal protection, allowing it to make up or bend its own rules, anytime it feels like it.

Not gone yet, but certainly thinking about it..

Now there's a comment based on a sound understanding of the corporate system.

i-Set
30-07-2008, 00:59
I didn't say he said they were planning on removing STM, only that they are moving 20Mb to Docsis 3 :)

Moving it to docsis 3 will probably provide a more reliable 20Mb experience, although that is to be seen.

no i know you didnt say it, but impz said it...look back on his previous post...that post sort of conveyed to me that he believes that after moving 20mb onto docsis3, the network will become more stable which will allow Virgin Media to remove STM...and im just wondering what makes him say that