PDA

View Full Version : Setting ambit 256 modem up on ubuntu

ebeckmann
24-07-2008, 15:13
Hi

Apologies if this is really basic - I could not find any answers in a search.

My non-technical Mum's broadband installation is due on 11 August. The simple question to pre-empt any trouble is: are there likely to be any probs for the engineer to set up the ambit 256?

country - UK
hardware - athlon 1.4 on K75 SA mobo (3.1), 512 mb ram
OS - Ubuntu 7.10

The PC currently sits on my network happily chatting away thru' a vigor 2800 router.

Many thanks

Ed

moaningmags
24-07-2008, 15:39
Shouldn't be any problems as you'll be using ethernet so no need for the disk the installer may give you.

Kymmy
24-07-2008, 15:52
As Mags states the ethernet side is as simple as setting up DHCP on the network card (or router) plugging it into the modem, powering up the modem first and then the PC (or renewing the DHCP lease after the modem has booted)

If you are using the PC though on a local network then a router might be the best option unless you have two nics and firewall the WAN nic

whydoIneedatech
24-07-2008, 16:46
Hi

Apologies if this is really basic - I could not find any answers in a search.

My non-technical Mum's broadband installation is due on 11 August. The simple question to pre-empt any trouble is: are there likely to be any probs for the engineer to set up the ambit 256?

country - UK
hardware - athlon 1.4 on K75 SA mobo (3.1), 512 mb ram
OS - Ubuntu 7.10

The PC currently sits on my network happily chatting away thru' a vigor 2800 router.

Many thanks

Ed

The will be no conflict as everyone else has said.

The Engineer will not give you any disk as they are no longer supplied, all you will receive is a card with http://act2.virginmedia.com/ you just put the link into your address bar and click go or press enter.

ebeckmann
24-07-2008, 17:01
Thanks everyone - the machine will be stand-alone and hopefully only need occasional interference from me remotely, which again should be straightforward.

Tech support - glad to know you don't need a heads up before you get there - wanted to make your job as smooth as possible.:)

Cheers

Ed

whydoIneedatech
24-07-2008, 17:11
Thanks everyone - the machine will be stand-alone and hopefully only need occasional interference from me remotely, which again should be straightforward.

Tech support - glad to know you don't need a heads up before you get there - wanted to make your job as smooth as possible.:)

Cheers

Ed

You going to have Logmein on your mums computer or similar as that would be a bonus to enable remote access by yourself.