PDA

View Full Version : Virgin ADSL offer

dilli-theclaw
19-07-2008, 22:34
So I'm looking at bundle one from this page...

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/broadband/unlimitedandtalk/?buspart=search

Having read it a few times I thought it meant that you got a free wireless kit and a free tv box.

Now although I'm not THAT fussed about the TV box it would save me buying a a freeview box for my bedroom.

But when I speak to customer services they tell me that in fact I have to choose between the wireless kit or the TV box.

Have I missed something in the smallprint?

chuzzlemonkey
19-07-2008, 23:25
It is right that you can only choose between the wireless and the tv...however, those terms and conditions do not reflect that information! If i were you i'd call them again and point this out.

Example..my friend had call the other day where a customer had found some terms and conditions on our website regarding the V+ box for £25 (correct price is £150)...but he sent us the link to it and because we had advertised that we had to do it..

Anyone else thinking of trying to find these TC's...theyve been removed now! lol

whydoIneedatech
19-07-2008, 23:26
So I'm looking at bundle one from this page...

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/broadband/unlimitedandtalk/?buspart=search

Having read it a few times I thought it meant that you got a free wireless kit and a free tv box.

Now although I'm not THAT fussed about the TV box it would save me buying a a freeview box for my bedroom.

But when I speak to customer services they tell me that in fact I have to choose between the wireless kit or the TV box.

Have I missed something in the smallprint?

The £19.99 kit says both for that price see below

As well as super-fast broadband (up to 8Mbps), you get unlimited downloads - which means you can download as much music and movies as you want. Plus, with Bundle One you get free calls to UK landlines, a free Wireless Kit and a Virgin Free TV box.

£19.99 a month
Bundle One

Up to 8 Mbps†Unlimited downloads‡Anytime calls to UK landlines*PCguard Total protection for your PC http://www.virgin.net/allyours/images/icon_more_info.gif (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:show_info_for%28%27PCguard%27,%20%27PCguardTo talinfobox%27%29)Free Wireless Kit** and Virgin Free TV box
** Wireless kit

The free wireless kit is subject to availability and is only available to new broadband customers and those existing broadband customers upgrading their broadband services. Only one wireless kit is available per customer.

dilli-theclaw
19-07-2008, 23:28
Cool I'll call them Monday morning :) Cheers :tu:

chuzzlemonkey
19-07-2008, 23:30

No worries...stick to your guns with it :)

whydoIneedatech
19-07-2008, 23:30

I have only cut and pasted that info but its looks clear enough to me, just make sure its a UK call centre when you call, as the script may be wrong.

chuzzlemonkey
19-07-2008, 23:32
I have only cut and pasted that info but its looks clear enough to me, just make sure its a UK call centre when you call, as the script may be wrong.

Agreed...and let us know how you get on!?

whydoIneedatech
19-07-2008, 23:34
Agreed...and let us know how you get on!?

Are they open sundays Haggis?

dilli-theclaw
19-07-2008, 23:36
Will do, cheers again :)

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

I can't call 'till Monday, need to view and accept the flat that I'm moving into Monday morning first ;)

chuzzlemonkey
19-07-2008, 23:42
Are they open sundays Haggis?

I wasn't 100% sure so i just called beyond cable to ask them...heres the conversation..

"Hi Steve speaking"

"Alright steve what's your opening hours please mate?"

"Erm erm" BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP (dead tone) lol

Unbelievebale!

But yea i think they are open tomorrow...OFFSHORE i think.
Monday would be best!

CrowmanUK
20-07-2008, 01:36
IF you do go for that bundle and i'd reallly really tell you not to go with Virgin ADSL, keep in mind the Fair Use Policy for ADSL is different to Cable Broadband, if you get STM'd on ADSL you will get a speed of 8KB/sec (slightly faster than dial up) for 1 week between 4pm and midnight. I've moved to BE now and its a million times better, heres the FUP

http://www.virgin.net/helpme/broadband/faq/basics_traffic.html

dilli-theclaw
20-07-2008, 02:33
Unfortunately I have little choice but to go with Virgin ADSL.

8k/s wow that is slow guess i'll just have to put up with it.

---------- Post added at 02:33 ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 ----------

Guess I'll have to make sure I do all my downloading after midnight then.

CrowmanUK
20-07-2008, 17:14
Trust me, you wont be able to put up with it, when I had it I went to a long length to make sure I avoided downloading anything in stm times and I still got traffic managed, and on 8k/sec you cant even browse the web, completely forget about playing games, even the missus who only browses forums which have almost no graphics gave up totally, originally it was supposed to be a minimum of 512kbits/sec (1/2 meg) connection but it was never that so I got out of the 12 month contract after 6 weeks, if VM adsl was the only choice I had I wouldnt bother, its seriously that bad.

dilli-theclaw
20-07-2008, 17:16
Well, as I have no choice about which provider I'll have I guess I'll HAVE to put up with it.

CrowmanUK
20-07-2008, 17:23
Best of luck with it mate, if you are going down the adsl route though I'd check this article out http://www.beforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8152

I went from 8ish meg to 12ish meg just by removing that ring wire.

dilli-theclaw
20-07-2008, 17:29
Well I don't WANT to go adsl and I don't want to go virgin adsl at that, but it's the only way to avoid the edf from virgin cable for me.

CrowmanUK
20-07-2008, 17:47
Thats a pity mate, cos I'm sure if you do move to Virgin ADSL they'll tie you into a new 12 months contract for it and I dont know where you'd stand if Cable was made available in your area within that 12 months, I'd certainly get in touch with customer care and ask if anything could be done in regards to cancelling your BB contract early, but I'm guessing you've already tried that.
Going back to the STM I made sure all my downloading was done between midnight and 3pm which I think was the non stm'd time for adsl, I got stm'd the week after and was told I'd downloaded 7gig in peak times, no way on earth I'd downloaded that much and the guy basically told me that if you download more than 5gig a week on adsl then you could fall into the traffic management for the next week.
It says on the site that "peak times" are 4pm till midnight but my bandwidth monitor told a different story to that.
And to top it all off you've got application management running 4 till midnight and ALL weekend, i'm guessing this covers torrents, nntp and possibly ftp traffic.
Its bleak mate, very bleak but if you've got no choice then i'm just letting you know what you've got coming. If you've only got a few months left though I'd seriously look at paying them off and going with a different adsl company.
Best of luck with it whichever choice you make.

oops my mistake application management is 4pm till 1am and all weekend.

dilli-theclaw
07-08-2008, 18:20
I had to wait before contacting them in the end as there were delays with my flat.

But I am getting both the tv box and wireless kit, all in time for a weds activation.

CrowmanUK
07-08-2008, 23:37
The tv box isnt bad, much better than my old sagem box, its a bit odd that the IR receiver that you point the remote at is on the end of a piece of cable that you plug into the back of it, we ended up sticking a remote on it on top of the telly till it had settled down and stopped trying to coil itself back up like a snake.

dilli-theclaw
19-08-2008, 23:08
The box is indeed really tiny, nice though.

I didn't bother with the extra remote wire it's so mall i just put it on the shelf under the tv.

The only problem I had was that it said that there was a virgin CD in the package (To set up the wireless kit) , which there wasn't but I had already been sent the adsl settings in the post so that was ok.

But then there is no trace of virgin branding on the modem/router page so maybe they just sent a standard router out.

CrowmanUK
19-08-2008, 23:36
Thats not an extra remote wire mate, thats the IR wire if we're talking about the same thing, long bit of wire with black boxy type thing with a light in, my remote doesnt work if thats not plugged in.
What do you think of the quality of the freeview box? Its loads better than my old Sagem thing.

dilli-theclaw
19-08-2008, 23:45
My remote works fine without it plugged in - it even says in the little book that you only need to plug the extra ir reciever in if you've attached the box to the back of the tv (out of sight).

The box is ok, no problems so far. The epg is more or less the same as my v and v+ box.

CrowmanUK
20-08-2008, 09:19
LMAO, oh well I suppose thats what I get for not reading the manual, I just walloped all the cables in and stuck it together, wrongly assuming that if it was there it had to be plugged in. Doh!