PDA

View Full Version : wireless router setup problems

the-cable-guy
19-07-2008, 12:47
i have just been sent a Netgear WGR614 v6 wireless router & have brought a BlueNEXT BN-WD54G wireless adapter. iv run the VM set up cd & it connects to my router, however after a few minutes it disconnects & the internet wont work. iv never used a wireless router before so i dont know how to get it working. any help would be great.

thanks

ceedee
19-07-2008, 14:28
Check your wireless adapter's power management settings in the Device Manager -- it may be set to turn off after a few minutes to save power.

ps. If you'd forked out £20 for one of VM's wireless adapters, you'd be able to get them to help with any problems. Unfortunately Tech Support won't want to get involved if you're using your own adapter or even one built in to a laptop...

whydoIneedatech
19-07-2008, 14:35
Check your wireless adapter's power management settings in the Device Manager -- it may be set to turn off after a few minutes to save power.

ps. If you'd forked out £20 for one of VM's wireless adapters, you'd be able to get them to help with any problems. Unfortunately Tech Support won't want to get involved if you're using your own adapter or even one built in to a laptop...

The is no problem with supporting built in wireless adaptors at Tech Support, if the was then we would have to supply NICs as well.;)

Cobbydaler
19-07-2008, 14:41
Have you tried suggestions in this BlueNEXT FAQ (http://www.bluenext.co.uk/index.php?option=com_easyfaq&task=view&id=24&Itemid=45)?

ceedee
19-07-2008, 15:14
The is no problem with supporting built in wireless adaptors at Tech Support, if the was then we would have to supply NICs as well.;)

That's not the way I read the small print (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/wireless.html):
The wireless router has been designed for use with Virgin Media's Broadband service and includes a 2 year service warranty (for wireless router, wireless USB adapter and wireless laptop card) but this is dependant on you remaining a Virgin Media Broadband customer and using the Broadband and wireless equipment that we provide to you and recommend you use during that 2 year period. Other wireless adapters of appropriate standard may work with our wireless router but we cannot offer support for or guarantee compatibility of this equipment.

whydoIneedatech
19-07-2008, 15:30
That's not the way I read the small print (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/wireless.html):
The wireless router has been designed for use with Virgin Media's Broadband service and includes a 2 year service warranty (for wireless router, wireless USB adapter and wireless laptop card) but this is dependant on you remaining a Virgin Media Broadband customer and using the Broadband and wireless equipment that we provide to you and recommend you use during that 2 year period. Other wireless adapters of appropriate standard may work with our wireless router but we cannot offer support for or guarantee compatibility of this equipment.

An other wireless adaptor is not an inbuilt wireless adaptor.

ceedee
19-07-2008, 16:31
I think most would agree that in the context of the quoted paragraph, "other wireless adapters" refers to those that are not supplied by VM.

Obviously ymmv and the often useless phone support agents (those that don't meet your standards) will quite likely interpret it however they see fit...

whydoIneedatech
19-07-2008, 16:56
I think most would agree that in the context of the quoted paragraph, "other wireless adapters" refers to those that are not supplied by VM.

Obviously ymmv and the often useless phone support agents (those that don't meet your standards) will quite likely interpret it however they see fit...

I would rather sort it if possible.

r00t
19-07-2008, 18:58
I think you'll find that 3rd party adaptor(s) even that being one that is built in is not supported. :)

whydoIneedatech
19-07-2008, 20:29
Which means that even if you already have a wireless enabled Laptop, and you want to order the Virgin Netgear Router, you are also required to buy a Virgin USB wireless dongle or PCMIA card for an extra £20 for the connection to be actually be supported.

A potential overall cost of £60!!

When you can go on Amazon and purchase a Netgear WGR614UK Wireless 54G Cable Router £28.31 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK which you can use out of the box with your wireless enabled Laptop.

ceedee
19-07-2008, 20:43
It sounds crazy to me too but that's the only logical interpretation of VM's small print.

On the other hand, £60 for quality technical support for the life of the products would seem to be excellent value for less technically competent users.
If only all VM's tech support staff offered it!
;)

whydoIneedatech
19-07-2008, 20:46
It sounds crazy to me too but that's the only logical interpretation of VM's small print.

On the other hand, £60 for quality technical support for the life of the products would seem to be excellent value for less technically competent users.
If only all VM's tech support staff offered it!
;)

2 years of support only, its in the small print.

the-cable-guy
01-08-2008, 02:52
Which means that even if you already have a wireless enabled Laptop, and you want to order the Virgin Netgear Router, you are also required to buy a Virgin USB wireless dongle or PCMIA card for an extra £20 for the connection to be actually be supported.

A potential overall cost of £60!!

When you can go on Amazon and purchase a Netgear WGR614UK Wireless 54G Cable Router £28.31 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK which you can use out of the box with your wireless enabled Laptop.

well i got VM to knock the price down to £20 (which i'l believe once next months bill arrives). i havent had the chance to try it out again yet but i will let you guys know how i get on, once i have.

techyguy4
01-08-2008, 07:28
In case we find any issues with a Non VM adapter,we would not be able to support that but if it is supplied by VM we can send a replacement adapter in case of any problem.