PDA

View Full Version : Midway though July, when is the 50mbit rollout starting?

|Kippa|
17-07-2008, 04:57
I am just wondering when the new 50mbit rollout starts. Will it actually be out sometime later this year for the lucky few, or will we have to wait until next year before the rollout starts?

Ken W
17-07-2008, 06:15
I am just wondering when the new 50mbit rollout starts. Will it actually be out sometime later this year for the lucky few, or will we have to wait until next year before the rollout starts?

They should wait untill all the 4Mb to 10Mb rollout has been completed.

whydoIneedatech
17-07-2008, 09:08

No news whatsoever regarding the 50Mb rollout, and anything else printed here is pure superposition on their part.

Sambora
17-07-2008, 10:27
on 15th July 2008 VM's MD of Marketing and Brand James Kydd, said:

"We've long believed that super-fast broadband is what people want and we're not surprised some of our competitors are now trying to play catch up. We've already invested £13 billion in a fibre-optic network and the launch of our 50Mb product later this year will mean 12 million UK consumers won't have to wait to get access to next generation broadband.

Our 50Mb trialists have already experienced the power of superfast broadband and we're excited that we will soon be able to offer this to millions of UK homes."

Taken from ispreview (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/news/EkEyEkVZykmwjgUSaa.html)

I believe this is much the same as they said in their previous financial reports and presentations to analysts like Merrill Lynch, and Lehman Brothers in May this year.

Kymmy
17-07-2008, 10:29
I think that the 10Mb upgrades and possibly even the probable 2Mb upgrades will be got out of the way first before we see the 50Mb public rollout

Kymmy

peanut
17-07-2008, 10:31
Wouldn't it be funny if BT brings out their 100mb before VM's 50.

Kymmy
17-07-2008, 10:33
As they'd need to totally redo thier infrastructure (apart from new builds) I doubt if any BT 100Mb roll-out would be national..

Kymmy

Graham M
17-07-2008, 11:05
Wouldn't it be funny if BT brings out their 100mb before VM's 50.

Not gonna happen, not at least countrywide like VM can do ;)

Zhadnost
17-07-2008, 11:21
Do we even have a final spec yet? I know people have stated that the upstream speed will likely be 1.5Mbit, but has there been any official notice of this yet?

The only announced information I can see is at http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/upto-50mb-broadband.php

This doesn't really answer things like cost, or what the STM levels will be.

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-07-2008, 12:17

Since when has VM cable been countrywide :erm:

Druchii
17-07-2008, 12:19
Do we even have a final spec yet? I know people have stated that the upstream speed will likely be 1.5Mbit, but has there been any official notice of this yet?

The only announced information I can see is at http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/upto-50mb-broadband.php

This doesn't really answer things like cost, or what the STM levels will be.
I get twice that on a 13Mb product here, also on a 26Mb product, but still :p:

Welshchris
17-07-2008, 13:28
I was told by cheif execs office 50mb will start rolling out end of 2008 / early 2009 in digital only areas first.

xspeedyx
17-07-2008, 15:00
All UBR's have started to have the equipment installed as this will be a long process and wont finish till Q2, Q3 next year

Rik
17-07-2008, 17:30
and there will be no STM on 50MB ;)

Ah well theres no harm in dreaming is there? :D

Rone
17-07-2008, 18:38
"and there will be no STM on 50MB ;) "

Well i suppose there wont be for a while, hardly a great selling point from the off is it.
Its funny years ago everyone would have been gagging for the next speed "upgrade", maybe as NTL keep kicking us in the gonads on a regular basis, not that many are interested?

xspeedyx
17-07-2008, 18:57
I very much doubt the 50Mb will have a STM due to the way DOCSIS 3.0 works the bandwidth will be greatly improved

Enuff
17-07-2008, 19:05
This just in, from some tart in retentions... Rollout of 50mb in October - November & December onwards... @ £47.00pm.

I've learnt from previous rollouts that it will happen when it happens. Don't believe what you read or hear. ;)

xspeedyx
17-07-2008, 19:37
This just in, from some tart in retentions... Rollout of 50mb in October - November & December onwards... @ £47.00pm.

I've learnt from previous rollouts that it will happen when it happens. Don't believe what you read or hear. ;)

£47 is the trial price so it might stick and I dont think tart is the nicest way to descirbe a lady in customer relations

Enuff
17-07-2008, 22:12
£47 is the trial price so it might stick and I dont think tart is the nicest way to descirbe a lady in customer relations My definition: Sharp in character, spirit, or expression. :shrug:

Sambora
17-07-2008, 23:05
My definition: Sharp in character, spirit, or expression. :shrug: Apologies to all that this is way off topic.

As you know, that is Dictionary.com's definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Tartness) - as an adjective

You used it as a noun which is defined further down the page you took the above from.

Darthlinux is spot on, an apology would be appropriate :cool:

i-Set
18-07-2008, 01:09
i also dont think that calling a lady a "tart" from customer relations is very nice but thats beside the point of the post.

my opnion is this, if virgin media want my extra 10 pounds (if 50mb does cost 47 quid) then i would be more than happy to pay for a top tier service as long as it has top tier qualities, by that i mean it has to have 5mb upload minimum and no traffic management policy. if it doesnt then i see no advantage of upgrading from my stable 20mb because i very rarely get traffic managed.

virgin media have to offer incentives over the last tier, if they want customers signing up. for example from M to L to XL, the only good thing is an increase in speed, but just increasing the speed on 50mb will not be enough to justify the price because 10mb is more than enough for downloading, surfing etc. So they have to tell customers with this new 50mb service which is at a high price we will have no STM and 5mb upload...otherwise financially for customers its not worth it. i know it isnt for me...

whydoIneedatech
18-07-2008, 08:58

I would be amazed if they said you could have 50Mb Broadband for £47 because they can quite easily charge a lot more and get the asking price, I would say any rumours regarding price are just that rumours unless you have written proof.

Enuff
18-07-2008, 09:24
I would be amazed if they said you could have 50Mb Broadband for £47 because they can quite easily charge a lot more and get the asking price, I would say any rumours regarding price are just that rumours unless you have written proof.Like I said in a previous post...
I've learnt from previous rollouts that it will happen when it happens. Don't believe what you read or hear.

whydoIneedatech
18-07-2008, 09:31
Like I said in a previous post...

I was answering the darthlinux post which stated a price not yours which is quite correct also.

You will only be sure of a price once it is published and its in black and white.

suppaman
19-07-2008, 01:02
I cant understand how people can believe about VM. 50MB. It is like a carrot in front of the donkeys promising Utopia. This is just to promise to us users so we dont believe VM to other more competent ISPs.
Remember How ntl always used to promise us the superfast"er" broadband. It is generally around 15 months after the announcement they deliver.
I have given up on VM moving to BE.
Goodluck guys and keep hoping :)

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

OOps sorry correction it should be leave VM to other more competent ISPs

whydoIneedatech
19-07-2008, 07:52
I cant understand how people can believe about VM. 50MB. It is like a carrot in front of the donkeys promising Utopia. This is just to promise to us users so we dont believe VM to other more competent ISPs.
Remember How ntl always used to promise us the superfast"er" broadband. It is generally around 15 months after the announcement they deliver.
I have given up on VM moving to BE.
Goodluck guys and keep hoping :)

---------- Post added at 01:02 ---------- Previous post was at 00:58 ----------

OOps sorry correction it should be leave VM to other more competent ISPs

You actually believe that the are competant ISPs out there!!

They are all much of a muchness just read the small print.

Rone
19-07-2008, 09:49
Not sure who 50 meg is aimed at, why would you need to go that fast anyway. :rolleyes:

Zhadnost
19-07-2008, 10:47
If it has 3Mbit upstream, then you could theoretically pipe 350 calls through it simultaneously using G.729 with trunked IAX2. (or around 45 using G.711 with trunked IAX2).

Of course you could also if you have a 3Mbit Synchronous service.

I'd probably spend an extra tenner if the upstream bandwidth was considerably better than the current XL service. (at the very least twice as much).

Enuff
19-07-2008, 11:31
Not sure who 50 meg is aimed at, why would you need to go that fast anyway. :rolleyes:You are joking... right?

xspeedyx
19-07-2008, 11:42
You are joking... right?

Why would he be joking?

Zhadnost
19-07-2008, 11:45
Good question, and who'll ever need more than 640kb? Why would computers need to talk to each other? What's a network? (+ any other famous quote you can think of).

Chrysalis
20-07-2008, 12:07

well you mean about 40% wide :)

some VM areas cant even do their bottom broadband yet.

Druchii
20-07-2008, 12:10
If it has 3Mbit upstream, then you could theoretically pipe 350 calls through it simultaneously using G.729 with trunked IAX2. (or around 45 using G.711 with trunked IAX2).

Of course you could also if you have a 3Mbit Synchronous service.

I'd probably spend an extra tenner if the upstream bandwidth was considerably better than the current XL service. (at the very least twice as much).
I pay KR49 per month for Double upstream, this takes me to 3Mb :) So, about £5 for that... :D

xspeedyx
21-07-2008, 09:10
well you mean about 40% wide :)

some VM areas cant even do their bottom broadband yet.

Analogue areas are the areas your referring to right?

Tommyonder
22-07-2008, 16:11
Hi all im wanting to know how you go about asking for the trial of 50Mb would love to test it out if possible, Appreciate any feedback!!

whydoIneedatech
22-07-2008, 18:23
Hi all im wanting to know how you go about asking for the trial of 50Mb would love to test it out if possible, Appreciate any feedback!!

The trial took place in Kent.

Tommyonder
22-07-2008, 19:14
The trial took place in Kent.I believe so but also currently under trial in my area, This is why im enquiring because i feel as i am being unfairly neglected by virgin, I have been with them ever since the company began it services in my area which was about 10 years ago, I have alway's paid my bills in advance plus i referred a friend god knows how many times in which i was robbed as the people who dealed with it cocked it all up everytime so i missed out on the deals, One of my friends who lives 4 miles away from me is getting 50Mb trial & he has only been with them for 1 year, So i think it stink's & also i have noticed with virgin they offer better deals to non customers rather than there exsisting customers :mad:

whydoIneedatech
22-07-2008, 19:27
I believe so but also currently under trial in my area, This is why im enquiring because i feel as i am being unfairly neglected by virgin, I have been with them ever since the company began it services in my area which was about 10 years ago, I have alway's paid my bills in advance plus i referred a friend god knows how many times in which i was robbed as the people who dealed with it cocked it all up everytime so i missed out on the deals, One of my friends who lives 4 miles away from me is getting 50Mb trial & he has only been with them for 1 year, So i think it stink's & also i have noticed with virgin they offer better deals to non customers rather than there exsisting customers :mad:

The trial will be only probably be available in that area you say is 4 miles away, as they will be on a different UBR than you.

Its just the luck of the draw.

Tommyonder
22-07-2008, 19:34
The trial will be only probably be available in that area you say is 4 miles away, as they will be on a different UBR than you.

Its just the luck of the draw.Right i see but i did ask for any usefull numbers so i can complain/make enquiries regarding 50Mb Broadband!!

whydoIneedatech
22-07-2008, 20:38
Right i see but i did ask for any usefull numbers so i can complain/make enquiries regarding 50Mb Broadband!!

You could try one of the links below.

There are 3 easy ways to get in touch
By phone

You could save yourself a phone call and try our online help first.
Get help online (http://www.virginmedia.com/help/)
Still need to talk to the team?
Call 150 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.
Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
For details about how much it costs to call our team, visit our website at virginmedia.com/callcosts (http://www.virginmedia.com/callcosts/)
By email

Just click here (https://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/customer_zone/genenqformCZ.html) to email us. We'll do our best to get back to you within 48 hours.
By post

It's not as quick, but if you'd prefer to send us a letter, you can write to us at:
General Enquiries,
Virgin Media,
PO Box 333,
Matrix Court,
Swansea.
SA7 9ZJ
So we can get back to you sooner, let us know details like your account number, address and contact number when you get in touch.

Impz2002
23-07-2008, 09:12

Its just the luck of the draw.

Does this confirm there are trials taking place in places other than kent ? I though it was confined to a couple of area's i.e. ashford etc ?

Impz

xspeedyx
23-07-2008, 09:15
Right i see but i did ask for any usefull numbers so i can complain/make enquiries regarding 50Mb Broadband!!

OMG your really gonna complain because you didnt get picked for a trial, you have to much time on your hands

Zhadnost
23-07-2008, 09:30
He's absolutely right, I don't understand we all of VMs customers can't be put on the trial. All 3.4million of us.

Oh yeah, then it wouldn't be a trial.

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 10:08
OMG your really gonna complain because you didnt get picked for a trial, you have to much time on your hands

He asked for the addresses so I gave him them.;)

BenMcr
23-07-2008, 10:17
Yes but you just gave Customer Services. Who weren't even told anything useful about the 50Mbit trial (including who was on it, how they registered, when the trial finished etc) ;)

whydoIneedatech
23-07-2008, 10:49
Yes but you just gave Customer Services. Who weren't even told anything useful about the 50Mbit trial (including who was on it, how they registered, when the trial finished etc) ;)

Who will no doubt pass him to TSC who know as much as they do about the 50Mb rollout, possibly on a cold transfer.:LOL:

So they can get rid;)

xspeedyx
23-07-2008, 12:33
NCLC would be the best route for the customer to go as Ben and whydoIneedatech are correct

Impz2002
23-07-2008, 12:56
can anyone answer my question as to weather there are trials running outside of kent ?

Impz

xspeedyx
23-07-2008, 12:58
can anyone answer my question as to weather there are trials running outside of kent ?

Impz

There are different areas that have been chose but I am not sure weather that will happen plus cnt release the information

BenMcr
23-07-2008, 14:54
There are no trials you can join now. The next time anyone can request 50Mbit service is when officially launches

confucious
23-07-2008, 17:58
I want and I want NOW!