PDA

View Full Version : Ported Numbers

dragon
16-07-2008, 01:02
Just wandering if anyone knows what rate Ported numbers are charged at.

Would it be the same rate as You would be charged for calling the Operator the Account is Now with or would it be the Rate for calling the Original operator or some other totally different rate all together?

could make quite a big difference to the cost of a call espcially if calling from a mobile outside of any inclusive allowances as it's often a different rate to other networks than it is to call someone on the same network.

PeteTheMusicGuy
16-07-2008, 09:56
I was not too sure about that myself but I found this link if it's any help http://www.intelicoms.co.uk/download/documents/MNPandimpactonthecostofcalls.pdf

dragon
16-07-2008, 10:06
I was not too sure about that myself but I found this link if it's any help http://www.intelicoms.co.uk/download/documents/MNPandimpactonthecostofcalls.pdf

Yes that answers it nicely

Basically

If your calling from a Mobile, the network should be smart enough to recognise the other Phone is or isn't on the same network regardless if the number was ported or not.

If your calling another network it goes to the original network who then forward the call, Calling From a mobile this doesn't make much difference since it's usually one Rate for cross network calls no matter which other network you call.

Calling from a Landline however you will be charged the rate for calling the Network that Orignally owned the number NOT the new network.

ceedee
16-07-2008, 15:36
Well, I never realised that -- what a ridiculous procedure!

Thanks for posting guys.

dragon
16-07-2008, 21:16
Well, I never realised that -- what a ridiculous procedure!

Thanks for posting guys.

It is but I can sort of understand why, If they updated the routing for each individual number based on what network it's moved to I suspect the routing tables would get stupidly complex and I'm not sure if the switches would handle it to well.

Far easier to route a block of numbers to one place then deal with it from there i guess.