PDA

View Full Version : Does getting a cable modem disable stb broadband

veeemmm
12-07-2008, 15:56
If I get a cable modem to use instead of the stb for broadband does that mean once it is enabled I can no longer get the broadband via. the stb?

Just wondering because I would need different cabling around the house so don't want to get the cable modem enabled in advance, unless I can switch between one and the other as needed?

Edit:sorry this was for the internet area.

[Mod Edit] Moved

BarFly
12-07-2008, 16:16
Are you willing to pay for both services ?

if so, give them a try, you used to be able to keep both STB & cable modem, though with the move, they may try & restrict you to one or the other..

whydoIneedatech
12-07-2008, 16:28
If I get a cable modem to use instead of the stb for broadband does that mean once it is enabled I can no longer get the broadband via. the stb?

Just wondering because I would need different cabling around the house so don't want to get the cable modem enabled in advance, unless I can switch between one and the other as needed?

Edit:sorry this was for the internet area.

[Mod Edit] Moved

If you upgrade to a Stand Alone Cable Modem you will only receive Broadband through the modem as only one device can be provisioned for Broadband.

veeemmm
12-07-2008, 16:33
If you upgrade to a Stand Alone Cable Modem you will only receive Broadband through the modem as only one device can be provisioned for Broadband.

Understood. Thanks.

ultimate
12-07-2008, 16:38
That was wrong - I had cable modem since last November and my STB BB is still working.

whydoIneedatech
12-07-2008, 18:57
That was wrong - I had cable modem since last November and my STB BB is still working.

That was under the old billing system and it does not happen now after the migration of NTL accounts from May onwards.

You are a legacy customer that is why yours is still like that, all new upgrades to a Stand Alone Cable Modem from a STB only get Broadband through the modem.

BenMcr
13-07-2008, 11:52
Just wondering because I would need different cabling around the house so don't want to get the cable modem enabled in advance, unless I can switch between one and the other as needed?Why would you need different cabling? The connection on both is a standard Ethernet socket. Can you not get them to put the modem right next to the STB?

That was wrong - I had cable modem since last November and my STB BB is still working.In some circumstances if an agent forgot to disable the STB bb connection when upgrading to a modem it may still work. However, if it is, you will be paying twice for broadband!

xspeedyx
13-07-2008, 15:20
Also if you dont want the xtra cbling but the modem by the stb and get a wireless router

veeemmm
13-07-2008, 15:21
Why would you need different cabling? The connection on both is a standard Ethernet socket. Can you not get them to put the modem right next to the STB?

Yes but that is what I am trying to avoid. Not essential but just preferable because
- too many electrical devices near tv already
- not ideally accessible should it need rebooting
- prefer to not leave on 24/7 when only used for short period of time.

Further more, VM sent me the cable modem without the necessary additional coax cable but I could have borrowed one temporarily to get the modem working. Hence I was wondering if the stb would still work after that UNTIL I get the new cable.

whydoIneedatech
13-07-2008, 15:24
Yes but that is what I am trying to avoid. Not essential but just preferable because
- too many electrical devices near tv already
- not ideally accessible should it need rebooting
- prefer to not leave on 24/7 when only used for short period of time.

Further more, VM sent me the cable modem without the necessary additional coax cable but I could have borrowed one temporarily to get the modem working. Hence I was wondering if the stb would still work after that UNTIL I get the new cable.

If you have had the modem activated by Quick Start then the STB will no longer be provisioned on the account for broadband.

BenMcr
13-07-2008, 15:25
If you were sent the modem you should have been sent a full Quickstart pack which has 3 x 1.5m co-ax, a splitter, a plastic spanner, cable clips and about 4 meters of ethernet cabling (and instructions on how to wire it all together)

The only time a modem is sent by itself is if you are already on a modem connection, have all the wiring in place, and it needs replacing because of a fault/won't do the 20Mb

veeemmm
13-07-2008, 15:30
If you were sent the modem you should have been sent a full Quickstart pack which has 3 x 1.5m co-ax, a splitter, a plastic spanner, cable clips and about 4 meters of ethernet cabling

The only time a modem is sent by itself is if you are already on a modem connection, have all the wiring in place, and it needs replacing because of a fault/won't do the 20Mb

That would have been useful - only got the modem + power supply and the plastic spanner. I was also promised it would be sent out royal mail so I could collect it locally if not in. Received a UPS delivery card. Can't VM get anything right??

BenMcr
13-07-2008, 18:17
In that case you have been sent a fault swap modem, not a proper install kit. The only thing Virgin use the Royal Mail for is remote control and cable deliveries (as they are small enough to fit through a letter box). Everything else is via UPS and has been since the start of the year.