PDA

View Full Version : General Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

Pages : [1] 2

Paul
12-07-2008, 12:07
Season 4 has now passed, so time for a new thread for the 2008/2009 Specials, starting with the 2008 Xmas special, which we already know sees the return of the Cybermen.

soup dragon
12-07-2008, 12:23
and I can't wait!!!! it will be like it's Christmas!

Oh it will be Christmashttp://img480.imageshack.us/img480/1662/doh4jw.gif

sir_drinks_alot
12-07-2008, 16:25
will the 2009 Specials be stand alone or have a story thread that links tham all together like the season's do :)

cimt
12-07-2008, 16:42
There's a Christmas special, an Easter special and the others haven't been announced yet. It would be good if they were more than an hour long...

Damien
15-07-2008, 10:48
I hope they are more than an hour long, an hour and a half/45 mins would be good. Make up for the lack of normal episodes.

Stephen
15-07-2008, 11:37
Here is a quote from Julie Gardener off the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/07/11/nosplit/bvtvwho11.xml)website
we are making four one-hour specials. The first, which we've already filmed, will go out this Christmas. The next will go out the following Easter. The other specials have yet to be scheduled, although one will definitely be on at Christmas 2009
So there will be less specials than we thought. We have Christmas 2008, Easter next year, one more later in the year and the 4th special will actually be the 2009 Christmas episode.

The way I though it would work out was that there would be 4 specials in addition to the christmas specials, not that two of the four would be the christmas ones.

Tezcatlipoca
15-07-2008, 20:11
Yeah, does seem that we're only actually getting two extra specials :(

cimt
25-07-2008, 11:33
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a115043/doctor-who-specials-writers-announced.html?rss

The writers have been announced, tis a shame. Steve Moffat isn't writing any.

Chris
25-07-2008, 11:38
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a115043/doctor-who-specials-writers-announced.html?rss

The writers have been announced, tis a shame. Steve Moffat isn't writing any.

RTD's quote contradicts what Julie Gardner said in the Telegraph:

"I can confirm that after Christmas 2008 there are a total of four more specials to come before the Steven Moffat era begins in 2010," Davies told Doctor Who Magazine. "Two of next year's four will be written by me, One will be written by me and Gareth Roberts and one will be co-written by me and Phil Ford."

He is counting 4 specials after the 2008 Christmas Cybermen episode, which means one more special than we were previously told.

Peter N
26-07-2008, 00:47
Some of the Cyberman story was being filmed here in Gloucester a few weeks back in pretty much the same locations that scenes from the the Harry Potter films were filmed.

sir_drinks_alot
27-07-2008, 07:55
Any DW fans are going to wanna put on radio 3 at 11am for something very special :D Doctor Who Prom music from the show will be played

http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2008/whatson/2707.shtml#prom13

Peter N
27-07-2008, 12:36
Sadly it's not going out on TV - a missed opportunity and a strange decision.

If anyone wants to see the "special episode" that's being shown at the Proms, it's available on the BBC website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/misc/proms/).

Russ
27-07-2008, 12:56
I'm happy we're now moving away from RTD's involvement. Much respect to him for turning the show in to something excellent but with a bit of luck he'll move on from Torchwood too and that'll lose the "how-gay-can-we-make-this-week's-episode" approach which has spoiled the series so far.

Looking forward to the Proms episode though. I like the way they do things like this.

Tezcatlipoca
29-10-2008, 21:15
Bye bye David Tennant... ? :(

Someone at DS started a thread linked to a Grauniad website story saying that DT is leaving at the end of next year.

The story in question no longer exists - seems it's been pulled (the DS thread says the news has been embargoed until after some TV award thing).

But a Google news search still brings up a snippet...

http://news.google.com/news?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us%3AIE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLJ_en&um=1&tab=wn&resnum=0&cd=1&scoring=n&hl=en&q=david+tennant&btnG=Search+News

Television: Tennant to quit Doctor Who
guardian.co.uk, UK - 1 hour ago
David Tennant has announced that he is vacating the Tardis and leaving the BBC's Doctor Who series at the end of next year. Tennant's decision brings to an ...

Hom3r
29-10-2008, 21:23
Please let Alan Davis take over:)

Tezcatlipoca
29-10-2008, 21:46
Anyone other than Russell Brand.

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Confirmed -

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a134081/david-tennant-quits-doctor-who.html

David Tennant quits 'Doctor Who'

Wednesday, October 29 2008, 21:15 GMT

By Neil Wilkes, Editor

David Tennant has announced his decision to quit Doctor Who at the end of 2009.

The actor confirmed the news while collecting the award for 'Outstanding Drama Performance' at the National Television Awards.

(snip)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698539.stm

David Tennant is to stand down as Doctor Who, after becoming one of the most popular Time Lords in the history of the BBC science fiction show.

Tennant stepped into the Tardis in 2005, and will leave the role after four special episodes are broadcast next year.

He made the announcement after winning the outstanding drama performance prize at the National Television Awards.

"When Doctor Who returns in 2010 it won't be with me," he said.

"Now don't make me cry," he added.

(snip)

Chris
29-10-2008, 21:51
Please let Alan Davis take over:)

Not a chance - he's a comedian, not an actor. In Jonathan Creek he was more or less playing himself. I don't think we want Jonathan Creek as the Doctor.

Tennant has set the bar very, very high. It's going to take someone very special to fill the role now.

LOL - The Dr Who forum has collapsed under the strain of this news. :D

cimt
29-10-2008, 21:52
Now, how many regenerations is that left when he leaves? One? It shall be interesting to see when their restore his regenerations then...

dilli-theclaw
29-10-2008, 21:55
I wouldn't worry about the regeneration 'limit' if it can be completely ignored in the five doctors I'm sure it can in the new series :)

cimt
29-10-2008, 21:57
Wait, does that now actually mean David Morrisey (sp?) could be the next Doctor?

Tezcatlipoca
29-10-2008, 22:00
Now, how many regenerations is that left when he leaves? One? It shall be interesting to see when their restore his regenerations then...

They'll work around it easily enough.

e.g. "No more Time Lords, no more regeneration limits" or something.

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Ah...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/faq/plot_continuity.shtml

Q: How many regenerations does the Doctor have?

A: Now that his people are gone, who knows? Time Lords used to have 13 lives.

sir_drinks_alot
29-10-2008, 22:03
no it's not true it's a lie :( he can't go :( nooooooooo :(

dilli-theclaw
29-10-2008, 22:05
From wiki (with regards the five doctors).....

This is the first time it is suggested that a new cycle of regenerations can be bestowed on a person (in this case the Master), implying that it could be possible to circumvent the twelve-regeneration limit established in The Deadly Assassin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deadly_Assassin). However, the Master is occupying a non-Time Lord body, so whether this can be applied to a Time Lord who has already reached his thirteenth incarnation is unclear. Years later, however, the episode "Utopia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_%28Doctor_Who%29)" shows the Master regenerating and in the following episode "The Sound of Drums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sound_of_Drums)" indicates that he had been "resurrected" (the Master's own word, left unexplained) by the Time Lords to fight in the Time War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_War_%28Doctor_Who%29), suggesting a new regeneration cycle was indeed bestowed upon him.

sir_drinks_alot
29-10-2008, 22:47
he put so mush of himself in to the role he was the best doctor

Stephen
30-10-2008, 09:25
How about Anthony Head for the next Doctor?

zing_deleted
30-10-2008, 09:27
I have a feeling this could be the beginning of the end for the new Doctor Who. Tennant has made the role his . Whoever plays him next has to be good or everyone will be just disappointed

Damien
30-10-2008, 09:31
I have a feeling this could be the beginning of the end for the new Doctor Who. Tennant has made the role his . Whoever plays him next has to be good or everyone will be just disappointed

Whoever takes over will need to avoid trying to replace him and instead take it in a different direction, so instead of being better it will be different.

zing_deleted
30-10-2008, 09:38
Yeah but the same thing applies if whoever it is fails then thats it. Tennant imo has made a brilliant Doctor. Chistopher Eccleston was very poor in comparison. Tennant bought great humour to the roll, to take it in another direction would mean a serious Doctor and perhaps darker episodes which I do actually like the idea of but if they do it wrong they ruin it.

TBH I can't think of anyone else for the roll lets hope they find someone exceptional

Chris
30-10-2008, 09:45
Darker and more serious isn't going to happen - they're committed to the Saturday evening family audience. The new executive producer who will have to work with a new Doctor is Stephen Moffatt, who has written some brilliant stuff including 'Silence in the Library' last season. He knows how to scare the pants off the kids, but his stories are still pitched firmly at the family.

Russ
30-10-2008, 09:56
Yeah but the same thing applies if whoever it is fails then thats it. Tennant imo has made a brilliant Doctor. Chistopher Eccleston was very poor in comparison. Tennant bought great humour to the roll, to take it in another direction would mean a serious Doctor and perhaps darker episodes which I do actually like the idea of but if they do it wrong they ruin it.

TBH I can't think of anyone else for the roll lets hope they find someone exceptional

In hindsight Eccleston may appear poor but at the time everyone thought he was great. Remember how people doubted Billie Piper?

I agree Tennant has really made the role his and that's been the success of DH - each Doctor has been extremely individual which can go one of 2 ways: either he'll be really awesome or he'll stink out the joint.

And as I type this the 'giggly assistant' on my local radio breakfast show has suggested who she thinks would be a great Doctor Who - "that man who does the voice-overs on Little Britain" :banghead:

zing_deleted
30-10-2008, 09:57
Actually I was never enamoured with him in the role

sir_drinks_alot
30-10-2008, 10:25
how about Philip Glenister he's be great as the doctor !

Russ
30-10-2008, 10:27
Fire up the Tardis!!!

Chris
30-10-2008, 10:28
I think John Simm would have been brilliant, but he's pretty much burned his bridges now ...

Stuart
30-10-2008, 10:39
Darker and more serious isn't going to happen - they're committed to the Saturday evening family audience. The new executive producer who will have to work with a new Doctor is Stephen Moffatt, who has written some brilliant stuff including 'Silence in the Library' last season. He knows how to scare the pants off the kids, but his stories are still pitched firmly at the family.

That's the problem Steven Moffatt faces. He will be in charge of a series that is supposed to be slightly scary, but still for Kids.

In fairness, it has often achieved that (particularly with Moffat's stories). I personally found "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" and "Blink" to be more scary than a lot of adult horror films, although that is probably because most of the modern ones (SAW etc) seem to rely on gore rather than a scary storyline.

Still, I do remember Clive Barker explaining how he was able to move to being apparently a successful children's author from writing horrors. He said that both require similar amounts of imagination, and much more imagination than most books.

BTW, I have created a thread for discussion of who people want to be the next doctor at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/33640739-who-should-be-next-doctor-who.html#post34664802. I think discussing it in this thread might confuse things too much.

Chris
30-10-2008, 11:34
Quite. And it's worth pointing out that in The Doctor Dances, Blink and Forest of the Dead, the net result of the Doctor 'fixing' everything is that 'just for once, nobody dies!' (to quote the man himself in TDD).

Moffatt seems to like giving everyone a really good scare, but also to provide a traditional(ish) happy ending.

Russ
30-10-2008, 11:41
I think John Simm would have been brilliant, but he's pretty much burned his bridges now ...

I don't know.....could that work? Is there an angle in that?

Bring back the Master in his new body to show he's no longer Simm then he escapes again.

When it's time for the Doctor to regenerate JS could then come in, and the initial angle could be as he's travelling around the universe he's under the prejudice that he is identical to his sworn enemy.

I think there could be something in that.

Chris
30-10-2008, 11:43
I don't doubt they could write their way around it if they wanted to. At least one Time Lord (actually a Lady) in the series has shown an ability to choose what her next regeneration looked like, and to base it on someone she had recently met.

I'm not sure they would want to do that though, as it might appear a bit convoluted. I bet they still want to write Master stories for John Simm as well.

Stuart
30-10-2008, 11:51
I don't know.....could that work? Is there an angle in that?

Bring back the Master in his new body to show he's no longer Simm then he escapes again.

When it's time for the Doctor to regenerate JS could then come in, and the initial angle could be as he's travelling around the universe he's under the prejudice that he is identical to his sworn enemy.

I think there could be something in that.

True, and they've already shown on a couple of occasions that Time Lords can influence how their regenerations go. Destiny of the Daleks starts with Romana II (played by Lalla Ward) "trying on" different bodies while regenerating (including her final form which is actually a copy of a Princess introduced in the previous story). The Master was able to steal the body of Nyssa's dad in Keeper of Traken and of course, DT was able use his own regeneration to repair the damage done to his body by a Dalek, but not change appearance.

Chris
30-10-2008, 11:53
The Master's transformation at the end of Keeper of Traken was of a somewhat different nature. He had used all his regenerations but wished to use the power of the Source to enable him to hijack someone else's body - which he did, when he took over Consul Tremas (the clue's in the name, if you like anagrams ;) ).

Stuart
30-10-2008, 12:00
True. Actually, I realised that after I posted.. :blush:

Never knew Romana had influenced her own regeneration until Destiny though.

Stephen
30-10-2008, 12:08
And as I type this the 'giggly assistant' on my local radio breakfast show has suggested who she thinks would be a great Doctor Who - "that man who does the voice-overs on Little Britain" :banghead:

really!!!!:dunce: hahaha that girl has brains lol.

dilli-theclaw
30-10-2008, 12:10
Well I hope it gets better, I'd rather they axed it if it starts to get stale. But I doubt they will while it's making loads of cash.

Hom3r
30-10-2008, 13:07
What about Catherine Tate as the next Dr. They could think of some way of him jumping into her body.

Stuart
30-10-2008, 13:10
Or Sally Sparrow.. :drool: (see the 3rd season episode, Blink).

dgardner
01-11-2008, 02:32

There have been 10 doctors, 9 regenerations so 3 left.
Also I think don warrington or david warner should be the next doctor

sir_drinks_alot
02-11-2008, 09:10
i keep hearing reports that john simm's will be returning as the master in one of the
2009 Specials will be intresting to see how that work's if it's true

dilli-theclaw
02-11-2008, 10:47
I don't see it as a problem, he didnt, after all die properly.

He obviously survived in the flash gordon rip off bit.

Stuart
02-11-2008, 23:27
Interesting rumour (and I'd like to emphasise that rumour bit): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0595634/news#ni0582842

Paul
03-11-2008, 00:15
Would be nice if its true. :)

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

What about Catherine Tate as the next Dr.
I hope not, she was ok as a companion but wouldnt want her as the doctor.

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:15 ----------

Or Sally Sparrow.. :drool: (see the 3rd season episode, Blink).
I would love her as a future companion.

Chris
14-11-2008, 21:16
Heads up: a sneak preview of the Christmas special will be on Children in Need very shortly.

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Did anyone see this? It was literally just the first few seconds of the episode. It looks to me like the Christmas special is going to be a great big send up of the hardcore fans who dress up like the Doctor and pretend to be him. Absolute class.

Graham M
14-11-2008, 21:19
It looked good :D

Tezcatlipoca
14-11-2008, 21:25
Yup :)

LSainsbury
14-11-2008, 21:28
Missed it...

And for those who missed it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/news/news141108.shtml

cimt
14-11-2008, 22:08
That's great, I wonder if he actually is a timelord.

Stephen
14-11-2008, 22:23
That's great, I wonder if he actually is a timelord.
I don't think he is. More than likely will be an imposter. Did you notice that his Sonic screwdriver was just a normal one.

Also the way he was hamming up the 'I'm a Timelord' and 'I'm the Doctor' as well as that Cyberthing looking a bit pants. More than likely he is a fan of the Doctor's and is impersonating him or is possibly an actual time traveller but not a timelord.

Maggy
26-12-2008, 11:28
Well that was a much better Christmas Special than last years...;)

Xaccers
26-12-2008, 11:31

Have to agree, very suprising as it was written by RTD, maybe he's finally been given lessons by Moffat?

cimt
26-12-2008, 16:14
Well, the episode didn't win in the ratings. It came in 2nd place though...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a139329/wallace--gromit-leads-xmas-day-ratings.html

Russ
26-12-2008, 16:15
I had a bit of trouble keeping up with the plot as I was slightly...erm....lubricated and my daughter was going nuts with her new toys so I'll be watching it again later - good old iPlayer :D

Stuart
26-12-2008, 17:16

I'll give it another watch, but I didn't think so. Didn't like it much at all. Seemed like a rather bizarre cross between Doctor Who, any random period drama and Star Trek, and didn't take the best points from any of them.

Delta Whiskey
26-12-2008, 18:12
The two Doctors plot twist was interesting but the Cyberman storyline felt like it was an afterthought.

Mick Fisher
26-12-2008, 20:40
I thought it watchable but not memorable.

Russ
26-12-2008, 21:00
Just finished watching it - it made a lot more sense now! It was good but it didn't feel like a special in any way. Just like a normal episode really.

sir_drinks_alot
26-12-2008, 21:33
and unlike in years passed it was real snow :)

dilli-theclaw
26-12-2008, 21:38
I was quite dissapointed.

downquark1
26-12-2008, 23:01
Have to agree, very suprising as it was written by RTD, maybe he's finally been given lessons by Moffat?

Yes was definitely better. Still had kind of a RDT "hey presto repairo" ending tho.

Chris
28-12-2008, 00:07
Well, the episode didn't win in the ratings. It came in 2nd place though...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a139329/wallace--gromit-leads-xmas-day-ratings.html

It was shown a whole hour earlier than last year. I'd say it did tremendously well, given the slot it was put in was less than ideal. It managed an audience share of 50.5% and was only 0.5 million viewers down on last year's Christmas special, which was in the 7pm slot. And let's face it, it's hardly a shame to have been beaten by Wallace and Gromit, with 14.3 million, and quite possibly the largest TV audience for anything, all year.

sir_drinks_alot
28-12-2008, 13:12
My guess is that filming on RDT and DT last story's will be done in the first half of 2009 so as to Allow the new team time to settle in.before thay start shooting season 5 witch it more likely than Not to start in late september so we sould know no later than june who the new doctor is. :)

cimt
28-12-2008, 13:16
Or we may not find out till the Christmas special. ;)

sir_drinks_alot
28-12-2008, 13:23
Or we may not find out till the Christmas special. ;)

there's nothing i'd love more than to have to wait untill the Christmas special to find out who it will be but the bbc have a inapt inability to beable to keep a secret that big to tham selfs untill the right moment

Tezcatlipoca
28-12-2008, 22:28
I thought it was pretty good.

I think those "Cyber Shade" things were awful though.

And I'm not quite sure why the Cybermen needed a bunch of kids? They'd already somehow managed to build a giant robot without any child labour, so what was the point of having a bunch of kids turn some cogs at the end?

john smith69
01-01-2009, 16:47
In doctor who Trial of a Time lord (Colin Baker) as the 6th doctor.
in he’s trial the doctor finds out that the prosecutor is infect is the doctor in he’s 13th Regeneration the doctor is told between he’s 12th and 13th Regeneration the doctor go’s evil has the BBC forgotten this or will it be in a future episode

Stuart
01-01-2009, 18:15
In doctor who Trial of a Time lord (Colin Baker) as the 6th doctor.
in he’s trial the doctor finds out that the prosecutor is infect is the doctor in he’s 13th Regeneration the doctor is told between he’s 12th and 13th Regeneration the doctor go’s evil has the BBC forgotten this or will it be in a future episode

That is only partly true. The Valeyard was a distillation of the evil side of the doctor between his 12th and 13th regenerations, and was created to help the Timelords (who no longer exist in the new series as far as we know) cover up some problems they caused.

With the High Council, and the Time Lords having apparently being removed from Time (apart from the Doctor and Master), they wouldn't be arount to create the Valeyard.

Russ
01-01-2009, 18:22
That is only partly true. The Valeyard was a distillation of the evil side of the doctor between his 12th and 13th regenerations,

Was that why he attacked his assistant at the time, Peri, just after he regenerated?

Stuart
01-01-2009, 18:25
Was that why he attacked his assistant at the time, Peri, just after he regenerated?

I thought that was a side effect of his regeneration?

Chris
01-01-2009, 18:28

No, that would be because at the time, the production team were making some very questionable decisions about the direction the series should go in ...

john smith69
01-01-2009, 22:12
David Tennant is only doing 4 specials for 2009. Do you think it would be a good idea if the BBC did New Adventures a collection of book’s that the BBC never made as Doctor Who was asked by the BBC at the time the BBC could tell the story's eg what happened to Ace ok you can read the book but it be would good to see it on TV

sir_drinks_alot
01-01-2009, 23:00
from http://doctorwhoforum.com/index.php

a great easter egg !

the Five Doctors (25th Anniversary Edition)
Disc 1
New Series Commentary
Go to Audio Options in the Special Features menu, go down to Companions Commentary and click right on your remote, you should get a green doctor who logo, click it to hear a commantary by some of the New Series Team; David Tennant, Helen Raynor and Phil Collinson

Chris
02-01-2009, 10:14
I can see why that's hidden - some of the classic series fans will be extremely cheesed off to know RTD has been allowed anywhere near one of the old episodes!

Incidentally, the Who forum is locked, you can't even browse without being a member.

Delta Whiskey
02-01-2009, 17:30
Radio 5 live have just said the new doctor will be announced on Doctor Who Confidential Saturday 5.35pm.

Hugh
02-01-2009, 17:36
And on the BBC website (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7807742.stm)

sir_drinks_alot
02-01-2009, 17:38
and here :)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/33640739-who-should-be-next-doctor-who-page-8.html

john smith69
03-01-2009, 18:33
so Matt Smith the new doctor lets hope he do a good job as David Tennant
good luck Matt

Chris
03-01-2009, 18:34
so Matt Smith the new doctor lets hope he do a good job as David Tennant
good luck Matt

Already being discussed in its own thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23/33640739-update-matt-smith-new-doctor-who.html

sir_drinks_alot
23-01-2009, 00:04
interesting casting news has come to light

Michelle Ryan has been cast in Planet of the Dead while comedian lee evans cast as "a Professor" in one of the forthcoming special episodes

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php#newsitemEkFkyVklylyhpOvWZB

cimt
23-01-2009, 00:09
Oh God...

Michelle Ryan was rumoured to be Matt Smith's assistant, so I guess one episode is better than 12/13.

zing_deleted
23-01-2009, 00:19
Just cuz she is only in 1 special now does not mean she will not be back. Look at Catherine Tate. 1 special then a little over a year later a full season

sir_drinks_alot
27-01-2009, 13:04
I realy hope this ends up not being true did not care much for Martha Jones had hoped her working on a ITV show would have stopped this :(

http://www.digitalspy.com/cult/a144729/agyeman-to-make-doctor-who-return.html

mentalis
27-01-2009, 13:17
Martha works for UNIT, so possibly the specials/next series will see the return of UNIT again.

Chris
27-01-2009, 13:40
I realy hope this ends up not being true did not care much for Martha Jones had hoped her working on a ITV show would have stopped this :(

http://www.digitalspy.com/cult/a144729/agyeman-to-make-doctor-who-return.html

On the contrary, I'd quite like to see the lovely Freema in the show again. :)

Hom3r
09-03-2009, 19:33
Are VM customers going to see the Dr Who in HD over easter? (BBC HD)

10th-13th. Dr Who will be broadcasted in HD for the very first time over the Easter Weekend on Sky Channel 143 (HD is for Sky+HD Viewers only)*

* = Also on Freesat.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/64/33646920-coming-soon-to-digital-tv.html#post34748291

Chris
09-03-2009, 19:40
Yes. There would be an outcry if the BBC was seen to be withholding HD content from cable. So far as I'm aware, the BBC-HD channel does not operate separate schedules for the different platforms it runs on.

Stephen
09-03-2009, 19:53
Are VM customers going to see the Dr Who in HD over easter? (BBC HD)

10th-13th. Dr Who will be broadcasted in HD for the very first time over the Easter Weekend on Sky Channel 143 (HD is for Sky+HD Viewers only)*

* = Also on Freesat.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/64/33646920-coming-soon-to-digital-tv.html#post34748291
Yes BBC HD is the same on all providers so we will get it.

Hom3r
09-03-2009, 19:57
I thought so, but Media Boys post implies not.

sir_drinks_alot
26-03-2009, 16:55
Planet of the Dead will air on Easter Saturday, 11 April :D

description of the episode

When a London bus takes a detour to an alien world, the Doctor must join forces with the extraordinary Lady Christina, in this one-off seasonal special. But the mysterious planet holds terrifying secrets, hidden in the sand. And time is running out, as the deadly Swarm gets closer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2009/wk15/sat.shtml#sat_drwho

Russ
26-03-2009, 18:38
Great find, dinks :tu:

sir_drinks_alot
31-03-2009, 09:11
the first television trailer for the forthcoming Doctor Who special, "Planet of the Dead", will air on BBC One on Wednesday at 9 pm, just prior to "The Apprentice

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php#newsitemEkFluZFlVpcpbgZBnK

Paul
04-04-2009, 18:02
Doctor Who
BBC 1 Midlands (101)
Saturday 11th April 2009
18:45 to 19:45

Planet of The Dead. Series 31, episode 1.
A London bus takes a detour to an alien world, but can the Doctor defeat the terrifying Swarm?

Director: James Strong
Starring: David Tennant, Michelle Ryan, Lee Evans, Noma Dumezweni, Adam James, Glenn Doherty

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide.
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

Chris
04-04-2009, 18:04
Geek aside point - do you know why Digiguide is numbering the 'new who' seasons as a continuation of the originals? The Beeb took a deliberate decision not to do that. If you take all of this year's specials as a 'series', they are series 5 of the revival, not series 31.

Paul
04-04-2009, 18:06
Since they are all Dr Who, the BBC decision is a bit nonsense, how can a programme have two Series 1, 2, 3 etc.

Chris
04-04-2009, 18:07
Since they are all Dr Who, the BBC decision is a bit nonsense, how can a programme have two Series 1, 2, 3 etc.

In the same way that Star Trek: The Next Generation is numbered seasons 1-7 rather than 4-10 I suppose.

Paul
04-04-2009, 18:09
Thats a different programme name though, Doctor Who is still just Doctor Who, not Doctor Who : TNG :)

Chris
04-04-2009, 18:16
What's in a name? What we have now is Doctor Who, the next REgeneration. :D The fact they don't put it in the opening credits is neither here nor there.

sir_drinks_alot
07-04-2009, 16:58
Wilfred Mott, Donna's Grandad is returning and will he the docs companion in David Tennant's last two episodes :)

http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php#newsitemEkFAEEVFZZjAQQYMoQ

Graham M
11-04-2009, 19:03
Bloody Sky+ box threw a Tiz and didn't start recording the Easter Special, til after a reboot as my Dad was round that wasn't until 5 minutes in :(

admars
11-04-2009, 19:10
it's on tomorrow night 7:00 on bbc3, and the making which is on later on tonight on bbc3 is on straight after it tomorrow night.

According to http://www.radiotimes.com it's repeated Monday and a few more times over the next week!

Hom3r
11-04-2009, 19:15
Ms Ryan sound like she will be a new assistant.

I hope so she's a real babe

Stuart
11-04-2009, 19:23
Anyone think that Michelle Ryan's character, while sexy, is a blatent ripoff of Lara Croft?

Russ
11-04-2009, 19:45
Very very good! And Lee Evans was brilliant, even though I don't know anyone who sounds like that :D

sir_drinks_alot
11-04-2009, 19:51
very good :) much better than that rubbish next doctor episode at any rate

Julian
11-04-2009, 19:51
Them creatures in the crashed craft were like a cross between The Fly and Devo.:erm:

Raistlin
11-04-2009, 19:53
Mmmmmmmmmmmm Michelle Ryan :blush:

dilli-theclaw
11-04-2009, 19:54
I quite enjoyed it. Not sure the bus looked all that real while flying, it seemed to be too obvious it was cgi.

Hom3r
11-04-2009, 20:03
Michelle Ryan :angel: :luv: :romance: :naughty: :drool:

Russ
11-04-2009, 20:06
My ex looked like a gothic version of her :D

Hugh
11-04-2009, 20:06
Enjoyable.

Hom3r
11-04-2009, 20:11
I'm off for a shower in liquid nitorgen ;)

admars
11-04-2009, 20:35
Missus and I both really enjoyed it, we like the silly ones, 'cos they're good pantomime fun, where as more often than not when it tries too be too serious it just ends up being bad.

Anyone think that Michelle Ryan's character, while sexy, is a blatent ripoff of Lara Croft?
At one point, I looked at the missus and asked "Is she auditioning for a new Tomb Raider movie?" ;)

She could get the job :)

Tezcatlipoca
11-04-2009, 21:28
Agh, I forgot all about this! :(

cimt
11-04-2009, 22:44
Now you think of it, she does seem like Lara Croft. I didn't think of her at first. The Confidential episode was very interesting at some parts. And yeah, it was a good episode.

Julian
11-04-2009, 22:53
MMichelle Ryan is on ITV2 shortly.... With that guy that thinks he's russell brand

admars
12-04-2009, 03:34
Just been watching the making of (Dr Who Confidential) that was on BBC3, It's repeated a few times over next week or so like the actual episode.

I don't normally watch Dr Who Confidential, but for those that enjoyed the episode it's worth watching, the logistics of transporting the bus, ppl who did their own stunts etc.

Mick Fisher
12-04-2009, 12:23
Just watched the Special and thought it was a truly excellent production. I liked the Lee Evans character too. I like Lee Evans, he has a lot of the "Norman Wisdom's" about him.

Anonymouse
12-04-2009, 15:26
Yes, Lady Christina was definitely from the Tomb Raider stable. But with that figure, and those beautiful blue (blue-grey?) eyes, who cares? :D

Actually, yeah, we do, okay; character more important than looks, of course. But she was, again, the sort of companion the Doctor needs, viz. someone who isn't overawed by him, who isn't in the least afraid to talk back to him, but who nonetheless respects him. Once again, though, he loses out, undeservedly. Dramatically necessary as it might have been, I still find it hard to forgive Astrid's...death? Ascendence? - being written out, anyway; she'd have had a lot of fun with the Doctor and so, I imagine, would he.

Michelle Ryan was, like Billie Piper and Catherine Tate before her, a pleasant surprise; she carried herself very well. Lovable rogues we've seen aplenty, but a female one is a nice change. Unfortunately, thanks to her the Doctor is now effectively a wanted criminal (though his affiliation with UNIT might get him off the hook there)!

And hands up anyone who hasn't figured out what "he will knock four times" means...oh, yes, now there's something to look forward to...! :shocked:

cimt
12-04-2009, 15:32
Ah, yes. When she said he, there was only one person I could think of...

Delta Whiskey
14-04-2009, 16:03
Doctor Who were filming in Swansea yesterday for the Xmas special. David Tennant, Catherine Tate and Bernard Cribbins were there. Evening Post Photo's:
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/galleries/Doctor-gallery-897506-detail/gallery.html

Russ
14-04-2009, 16:22
Doctor Who were filming in Swansea yesterday for the Xmas special. David Tennant, Catherine Tate and Bernard Cribbins were there. Evening Post Photo's:
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/galleries/Doctor-gallery-897506-detail/gallery.html

Is that just off the Kingsway, by HSBC?

Delta Whiskey
14-04-2009, 16:37
Is that just off the Kingsway, by HSBC?

Yes, they were filming in and outside the Kardoma Cafe.

zing_deleted
14-04-2009, 19:38
Ah, yes. When she said he, there was only one person I could think of...

Yes very masterful statement ;)

Stuart
14-04-2009, 19:42
Well, I quite enjoyed it. Not the best episode, not the worst either.

Interesting to hear Michelle Ryan speak in what is apparently her natural accent.

Chris
26-05-2009, 16:14
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8068435.stm

Squee, as they say on a certain other forum. :D

Paul
26-05-2009, 17:35
Tennant will firstly appear in three specials, starting with The Waters of Mars in November.

Even better, I thought there were only two specials left. :)

Chris
26-05-2009, 17:39
Nope, there are three because the forthcoming Christmas special is a two-parter. AFAIK the second Christmas episode should be shown around new year and will end on a regeneration cliffhanger.

It's nice that the Who production team have found a way to increase the Doctor's presence on our screens via SJA though. I only wish they'd give the series a 7pm BBC Three repeat, instead of endlessly showing Doctor Who in that slot. At the moment, if you don't want to watch the CBBC channel, or children's programmes on BBC1, the only way to see SJA is to download it.

Stephen
26-05-2009, 18:08
or the lovely BBC iPlayer :)

Chris
26-05-2009, 18:50
Great if you have Virgin, or like watching TV on your computer. Not so versatile otherwise. ;)

Paul
02-06-2009, 16:57
According to an article in the Sun today, all the old companions will return in DTs last episode (Special), and most (all ?) of them will be married off (Rose, Martha, Donna).

DT is also going to appear in The Sarah Jane Adventures, apparently for Sarah's wedding.

sir_drinks_alot
02-06-2009, 19:36
According to an article in the Sun today, all the old companions will return in DTs last episode (Special), and most (all ?) of them will be married off (Rose, Martha, Donna).

DT is also going to appear in The Sarah Jane Adventures, apparently for Sarah's wedding.

why do thay keep bring rose back !

Russ
02-06-2009, 19:37
Because she's the hottest Who assistant ever :D

dilli-theclaw
02-06-2009, 19:40
i'd much ratehr have Donna :)

Paul
02-06-2009, 20:47
why do thay keep bring rose back !

Why not ?

Jabbs
02-06-2009, 21:15
I don't think ill watch it once DT has gone he has made the part his and i won't have any interest in anyone else taking over it.

mentalis
02-06-2009, 21:26
Because she's the hottest Who assistant ever :D

Is this new series companions (I prefer Martha) or the old series (Definitely Peri - especially then, but even now :) )?

Stuart
02-06-2009, 23:30
I don't think ill watch it once DT has gone he has made the part his and i won't have any interest in anyone else taking over it.

That's the beauty of Dr Who. Each regeneration shares traits with the others, but has their own distinct character. Something that was brilliantly demonstrated by Peter Davison at the beginning of Castrovalva (where, having just regenerated, his character changes rapidly between those of the first four doctors).

---------- Post added at 23:30 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Is this new series companions (I prefer Martha) or the old series (Definitely Peri - especially then, but even now :) )?

MMM... Martha..

Having said that Peri was (and is, judging by the photos I have seen) sexy. Especially as the crew seemed to like to get her to show off her (ample) cleavage. Usually with a combination of the right camera angle and a low cut top.

Lord Nikon
03-06-2009, 02:29
i'd much ratehr have Donna :)

Hello, Priory? Is there a spare bed on the Susan Boyle ward? I think we may have a patient for you...

sir_drinks_alot
27-07-2009, 21:12
the master will be in DT last doctor who story

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/

Paul
28-07-2009, 00:39
So will his wife, and Donna.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/latest/090728_news_o4

Delta Whiskey
10-09-2009, 18:19
Filming information from South Wales Evening Post:

URL:
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Doctor-Rose-Abbey-filming/article-1328892-detail/article.html

TEXT:
BILLIE Piper was back on the Doctor Who set yesterday, filming scenes for the new series. The actress was at Neath Abbey to reprise her role as Rose Tyler in the hit sci-fi show. Filming took place at the venue with 11th Doctor, Matt Smith on set. Karen Gillan, who is set to appear as the Doctor's new assistant, was also on set, dressed in a blue dressing gown and slippers.

zing_deleted
10-09-2009, 18:30
I must say ive liked Karen Gillan in The Kevin Bishop Show and she is easy on the eyes so I am ok with her lol

Paul
31-10-2009, 01:32
The Dr Who Team have announced that Waters of Mars will be shown on Sunday 15th November 2009.

The final two specials (End of Time) are due Christmas Day, and probably New Years Day.

sir_drinks_alot
09-11-2009, 21:33
I just don't understand why this is on a sunday if thay are looking to sink
x factor Surely this is the one show that can be relied upon to beat it
in the ratings. so why relegate it to sunday tea time i just don't under stand it

Stephen
09-11-2009, 21:52
I just don't understand why this is on a sunday if thay are looking to sink
x factor Surely this is the one show that can be relied upon to beat it
in the ratings. so why relegate it to sunday tea time i just don't under stand it
Well Merlin is on BBC1 on Sat night and then Strictly, so Sunday was the only available time slot.

As its Doctor Who I don't think the beeb will have to worry about viewing figures

I have set my V+ for Sunday at 7pm on BBC HD and then Confidential after it.

sir_drinks_alot
09-11-2009, 21:57
Well Merlin is on BBC1 on Sat night and then Strictly, so Sunday was the only available time slot.

As its Doctor Who I don't think the beeb will have to worry about viewing figures

I dont think anyone will miss marlin for a week

Tezcatlipoca
09-11-2009, 22:21
I'd miss Merlin.

Or, to be more accurate, Morgana.

Peter_
09-11-2009, 22:39
I'd miss Merlin.

Or, to be more accurate, Morgana.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/11/44.png (http://merlin.wikia.com/wiki/File:Morgana.png)

Paul
09-11-2009, 23:04
I would, and my family.

soup dragon
10-11-2009, 00:24
can't wait in soup's house, got a 40inch 100hz 1080p samsung last week - already blowing my mind with the hd channels - Dr Who will probably make me have a little sex wee!!

Peter_
10-11-2009, 07:52
When is this programme on about Marlins

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/Marlin.png/180px-Marlin.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marlin.png)

Tezcatlipoca
15-11-2009, 18:55
Five minutes, people!

Don't forget, it's on BBC HD too :)

Hom3r
15-11-2009, 18:56
The time is near :)

Stephen
15-11-2009, 19:00
Here we go :) BBC HD :)

Hom3r
15-11-2009, 20:01
OMG I loved the ending

Russ
15-11-2009, 20:01
Ohhhhhh yes!!! :D

Paul
15-11-2009, 20:02
Awsome.

Stephen
15-11-2009, 20:14
Amazing :) Doctor got a bit power crazy at the end, before realising what he had done.

Christmas trailer looked fab too!!

Hom3r
15-11-2009, 20:15
CTs back, I wonder how she helps?

joglynne
15-11-2009, 20:19
I'm still trying to get my breath back. I loved the fast moving action and the way the plot moved toward regeneration. The Christmas special can't come soon enough. :)

LSainsbury
15-11-2009, 21:00
Ms LSainsbury talked nearly all the way through it so I'll have to watch it again in the week....

She better hope I'm not in the room next time Midsummer Murders or Spooks is on!!

Russ
15-11-2009, 21:03
Ms LSainsbury talked nearly all the way through it so I'll have to watch it again in the week....

She better hope I'm not in the room next time Midsummer Murders or Spooks is on!!

www.divorce-online.co.uk

Anyway, I loved the way they teased a 'heel turn' for the Doctor at the end - anyone else think that sort of scenario will lead in to his next regeneration?

Delta Whiskey
15-11-2009, 21:10
That was bleedin' awesome!

sir_drinks_alot
15-11-2009, 21:28
best Episose since journy's end ! loved every minute from beginning to end

Stuart
15-11-2009, 21:31
Did anyone notice the distinct similarity between the way the Ood appeared at the end and the way the Watcher appeared in some of the classic series eps (thinking particulary of how he appeared a few times in "Logopolis" around the time of the regeneration.

Stephen
15-11-2009, 22:21
Did anyone notice the distinct similarity between the way the Ood appeared at the end and the way the Watcher appeared in some of the classic series eps (thinking particulary of how he appeared a few times in "Logopolis" around the time of the regeneration.
Also the way the cloister bell chimed signalling impending doom :D

Chris
15-11-2009, 22:25

AFAIK The Watcher only ever appeared in Logopolis. But they may have been referencing that with the Ood. They were certainly referencing Logopolis with the cloister bell sounding at the end of the episode, as that was a feature of Logopolis too.

cimt
16-11-2009, 00:00
Oh yeah, was that a reference to Journey's End in the flashback?

Flyboy
16-11-2009, 11:04
Originally Posted by Stuart C
Also the way the cloister bell chimed signalling impending doom :D

Yep! I thought that too.

Chris
16-11-2009, 11:41
Overnight ratings for this were 9.1 million, which is very good.

dilli-theclaw
16-11-2009, 11:42
I was not at all impressed with it. Still the christmas one did look good from the brief trailer. Probably just 'cos fancy Donna though ;)

Chris
16-11-2009, 12:04
Interesting ... what didn't you like about it?

dilli-theclaw
16-11-2009, 12:34
Lots of little things to be honest, but I'm going to put it up on m projector later and try watching it again, I was only watching it on a small TV last night so that didn't help at all.

Pierre
16-11-2009, 12:45

That's exactly what I thought, it was also a 'stick on' that the master was going to be in the next episode, I said that to the wife when he kept on banging on about how he was the last timelord. It didn't look like that Sim bloke, was it him?

Is the Christmas one the last one? I mean is that the regeneration one?

dilli-theclaw
16-11-2009, 12:50
There are two over the Christmas period.

Anonymouse
16-11-2009, 12:55
Oh, dear. It seems the Doctor has finally gone off the deep end. He's on the slippery slope the Time Lords were once on (referring back to the Dark Time mentioned in The Five Doctors), before Rassilon sorted them out. And there is literally no-one to stop him...except perhaps the Master.

Imagine that, if the Master ended up saving the Universe from the Doctor! :shocked:

Perhaps we'll find out who retrieved the Master's ring from his funeral pyre - though I strongly suspect it was his wife, Lucy. A while back I had an idea for a story in which the Master planned for his own death, anticipating that the Doctor would take him prisoner, and hatching a plan to escape him by hiding a copy of his memories (greatly compressed, of course, bearing in mind what happened to poor Donna) in Lucy's mind, without her knowledge, and compelling her to kill him at the right time, then retrieve the ring (which contains a copy of the Master's bio-print, so he could be cloned). Remember the look on her face? She looked lost, distracted, as if she didn't know what she was doing. At that point, I thought "Hmmm..." and started scribbling. Not that I've got anywhere with it since; life keeps getting in the way. :rolleyes:

So if that's what the writers do to bring him back in The End of Time, remember: you heard it here first! :D

Paul
16-11-2009, 15:20
Is the Christmas one the last one? I mean is that the regeneration one?

There are two over the Christmas period.
Its one story in two parts, and yes, they are DT's last, so regeneration.

dilli-theclaw
16-11-2009, 17:29
Yup as I said two over the christmas period :)

Hom3r
16-11-2009, 18:04
So if that's what the writers do to bring him back in The End of Time, remember: you heard it here first! :D

He is coming back, it was said in the teaser.

adzii_nufc
17-11-2009, 23:33
Son of A!!

I missed it! Iplayer?

If not anyone got a good link :(

Found it http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00p05x8/Doctor_Who_The_Waters_of_Mars/

for anyone who wants to see again :D

Edit: Brilliant Episode. Maybe one of the best Dr Who episodes in History

Also think I worked the End out.. He thought he could change the laws but the End where she shot herself Proved he couldnt

I believe its stupid how they advertised The New Doctor so early.. I mean in these Teasers and Trailers (Tennant) the doctor says he's going to die.. Obviously he does'nt because we know the next actor but it would have been more fun not knowing and thinking there was a possibility he could actually die.

MetaWraith
18-11-2009, 10:21
It is repeated tonight on BBC-3

adzii_nufc
18-11-2009, 20:29
If i may ask does anyone have a site where i can watch past Dr Who Episodes Like Most of the Tennant and Eccleston Era :)

Thanks

Chris
18-11-2009, 22:22
The only place you can see any of it legally is on BBC iPlayer. Discussion of the alternatives is not allowed. ;)

zing_deleted
18-11-2009, 22:24
there is always www.buyitondvdfromtescosorplayoramazon.com (http://www.buyitondvdfromtescosorplayoramazon.com)

adzii_nufc
18-11-2009, 22:28
I'm sorry I had not realised watching something we are forced to pay for on tv even if we dont watch it is illegal to watch online :P

Of course im talking about a TV licence :D

But Forums rules are forum rules... Im cursing the BBC not the forum lol

If the Iplayer had a Library of Dr who Ep's im sure it would get a lot more attention than it does.

I mean BBC Iplayer is just.. stupid to be honest.. All the programs on BBC are rubbish unless your a woman and like soaps..

Iplayer..Fail...Skyplayer! Win

Stephen
18-11-2009, 23:36
I'm sorry I had not realised watching something we are forced to pay for on tv even if we dont watch it is illegal to watch online :P

Of course im talking about a TV licence :D

But Forums rules are forum rules... Im cursing the BBC not the forum lol

If the Iplayer had a Library of Dr who Ep's im sure it would get a lot more attention than it does.

I mean BBC Iplayer is just.. stupid to be honest.. All the programs on BBC are rubbish unless your a woman and like soaps..

Iplayer..Fail...Skyplayer! WinWhat are you talking about? Most of the BBC content ends up on iplayer from the last 7 days. iplayer is great. Sometimes there are season catch ups. Iplayer gets a lot of attention so many people use the service either on the site or through the VM on demand service.

However if you watch to see Doctor Who they are usually on Watch Ch124 all the time.

adzii_nufc
19-11-2009, 10:51
What are you talking about? Most of the BBC content ends up on iplayer from the last 7 days. iplayer is great. Sometimes there are season catch ups. Iplayer gets a lot of attention so many people use the service either on the site or through the VM on demand service.

However if you watch to see Doctor Who they are usually on Watch Ch124 all the time.

Yah seen most of them on watch but i hate how watch constantly repeat the episodes

Flyboy
19-11-2009, 10:54
So what is your problem then? Why do you need to watch them again? If you keep seeing repeated episodes, why do you need to find somewhere, where they show more repeated episodes?

adzii_nufc
19-11-2009, 11:01
So what is your problem then? Why do you need to watch them again? If you keep seeing repeated episodes, why do you need to find somewhere, where they show more repeated episodes?

because they keep repeating the same episodes every week.. Like the same 2 often

I wanted to see the series not the same 2 lol Understand now :P

Kymmy
19-11-2009, 11:02
Then buy the DVD's.. :rolleyes:

Flyboy
19-11-2009, 11:40
because they keep repeating the same episodes every week.. Like the same 2 often

I wanted to see the series not the same 2 lol Understand now :P

Just an example of what is left of this week:

Doctor Who
Thursday, November 19
BBC3
Doctor Who 7.00pm - 7.45pm A young woman receives cryptic messages from the past as she tries to escape terrifying creatures who are hiding in a haunted house. Carey Mulligan guest stars.

Watch
Doctor Who 3.00pm - 4.00pm The Doctor and Rose travel to an alien world where mankind has settled after the destruction of Earth, and encounter an old enemy plotting revenge. David Tennant stars.

Friday, November 20
Watch
Doctor Who 3.00pm - 4.00pm When the court of Louis XV comes under attack from sinister robots, the king's mistress summons the Doctor with the help of a broken clock. Sophia Myles guest stars.

Three different episodes in two days.

Then it starts again, with different episodes on Monday, on BBC Three and Watch. So, hardly the same two episodes every day for a week.

adzii_nufc
19-11-2009, 11:56
Just an example of what is left of this week:

Three different episodes in two days.

Then it starts again, with different episodes on Monday, on BBC Three and Watch. So, hardly the same two episodes every day for a week.

Watch
Doctor Who 3.00pm - 4.00pm The Doctor and Rose travel to an alien world where mankind has settled after the destruction of Earth, and encounter an old enemy plotting revenge. David Tennant stars.

Watched that a few weeks ago on watch..

And the haunted house has been on watch about 6 times now..

What I meant is.. they dont keep up with any series at all.. Just random 2 Ep's every week if not the same Episode they showed the week before

Flyboy
19-11-2009, 14:03
That's because there have only been fifty-two episodes and a few specials. They can't just produce more because you have seen them all.

BBC Three recently ran the entire New Doctor Who series from, "Rose" to "Journey's End." I believe they are doing the same now, playing an episode a day.

Stephen
19-11-2009, 14:12
Watch

Watched that a few weeks ago on watch..

And the haunted house has been on watch about 6 times now..

What I meant is.. they dont keep up with any series at all.. Just random 2 Ep's every week if not the same Episode they showed the week beforeNo they show all the episodes, just when you tune in you seem to catch the same ones.

A few weeks ago, now thats hardly the same episode every week is it.

Check this link, Watch are showing Series 2 & 3 on Sat evenings from 8pm. However searching the listings shows they are starting again from series 1 on the 1st Dec at 6pm

http://uktv.co.uk/watch/homepage/sid/6833

adzii_nufc
19-11-2009, 14:13
That's because there have only been fifty-two episodes and a few specials. They can't just produce more because you have seen them all.

BBC Three recently ran the entire New Doctor Who series from, "Rose" to "Journey's End." I believe they are doing the same now, playing an episode a day.

Im not talking about that.. I am talking about Instead of showing one episode then the next.. they show the same episode 3 times in 2 weeks..

For example a 1-2 weeks ago I watched the Haunted House, Angels Episode.. and the Next time Dr who was on It was a different episode. Then the next time Dro who was on.. Its the Haunted House.. again

then again on the sunday, I liked it when BBC3 were showing like an episode a day :)

Chris
19-11-2009, 14:22
Sometimes the small digital channels have the same programme in a couple of different slots during the day or week. You may find that, say, they are showing Who on Mondays, Tuesdays and twice on Wednesdays, but that in each of those four slots the show is at a different point in its run. So you could watch Blink (the haunted house episode) on Monday at 7pm, then the next week tune in on Wednesday at 9pm and find that slot has just reached the point when it shows Blink. To follow the series through in the right order you may have to tune in at on the same day each week and at the same time, regardless of how many other days in the week they are screening the show.

The only way to make absolutely sure of how and when a channel is showing a series is to use an online TV guide like Digiguide or Radiotimes and run a search. Read through the results and try to identify any patterns. You should be able to spot whether the show is getting one repeat run in one or more slots, or multiple repeat runs simultaneously and possibly staggered.

Or, as Flyboy has pointed out, wait until BBC Three does another repeat run, they normally start at the beginning and show one a day. And get your DVD recorder ready.

Stephen
19-11-2009, 14:24
Or as I have edited my post search the listings on the Watch site and you will see they are showing all series and looks to me to be in running order everyday :)

Also HMV has the boxsets on sale at around £25 per series if you would rather own them. I have them all and means I can watch anytime I want to. Same goes for all the original series Doctor Who DVDs.

Delta Whiskey
19-11-2009, 15:09
Amazon have the first three box sets much cheaper than HMV.
Series 1 - £13.88, Series Two - £13.88, Series Three - £16.28 & Series 4 - 27.88

Stephen
19-11-2009, 15:23
Good find DW.

In fact I need to rebuy series 1 as I originally bought the Tardis shaped edition which doesn't fit on my selves.

Delta Whiskey
19-11-2009, 15:41
Good find DW.

In fact I need to rebuy series 1 as I originally bought the Tardis shaped edition which doesn't fit on my selves.

I'm sorely tempted myself, but then I look at the unopened 42 DVD Babylon 5 box set I bought two years ago...

Stephen
19-11-2009, 16:14
I'm sorely tempted myself, but then I look at the unopened 42 DVD Babylon 5 box set I bought two years ago...
I have them all but as its so cheap want the series 1 set again just so I have the normal case. Is that daft, lol.

Wow bet that set you back a bit.

I watched the trailer again for the End of Time, so can't wait till Christmas :)

Delta Whiskey
19-11-2009, 16:26
I have them all but as its so cheap want the series 1 set again just so I have the normal case. Is that daft, lol.

Wow bet that set you back a bit.

I watched the trailer again for the End of Time, so can't wait till Christmas :)

I fully understand the need to have all the box sets in the same style packaging. ;)
I see that Amazon have the Complete Doctor Who - Series 1-4 for £58.48.

The B5 boxset was around £100 at the time, it was down to £60 this summer. Currently £62.98 including The Lost Tales.

adzii_nufc
19-11-2009, 16:44
Thankyou Everyone, Saved me a lot of confusion now :)

Stephen
19-11-2009, 17:12
I fully understand the need to have all the box sets in the same style packaging. ;)
I see that Amazon have the Complete Doctor Who - Series 1-4 for £58.48.

The B5 boxset was around £100 at the time, it was down to £60 this summer. Currently £62.98 including The Lost Tales.
I'd buy that 1-4 boxset if I didn't have each season already :D

Used to love B5 back when it first started on Ch4.

Also adzii you are welcome. Happy viewing :)

Tezcatlipoca
25-12-2009, 19:12
John Simm must have had a lot of fun filming that!

And the ending... I wasn't expecting that. I thought RTD might drag out the Daleks yet again or something, but not that...

12noon
25-12-2009, 19:17
The master race.
Get out of that. I can't wait for the next part to it.

Delta Whiskey
25-12-2009, 20:51
Well that was a roller-coaster of an episode, and a great twist at the end.

deadite66
25-12-2009, 21:07
Dr Poo imo

Tezcatlipoca
25-12-2009, 22:36
I wasn't very impressed by the episode itself (although I did love John Simm's OTT Master), but I did like the twist at the end.

Stuart
26-12-2009, 03:57
There is a clip of part 2. Don't watch it until you have watched part one though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/episodes/S0_09

Mick Fisher
26-12-2009, 05:42
I wasn't very impressed by the episode itself (although I did love John Simm's OTT Master), but I did like the twist at the end.
Me neither. :(

Stephen
26-12-2009, 10:41
I really enjoyed it and am glad to see the

Timelords back

although from the clips it looks like

Those scenes take place during the Time war

Paul
26-12-2009, 12:51
Ditto. Not the best IMO, but lets see where the twist goes.

Russ
26-12-2009, 13:40
I'm pretty much sure John Simm saved that episode.

dilli-theclaw
26-12-2009, 13:49
Hhhmmm not seen it yet and from what people are saying it sounds pretty poor like the last special was, still I live in hope :)

Russ
26-12-2009, 14:04
It wasn't awful, just a little weak.

Was fun to spot the locations around here where they were filming though, the part in the docks when the Doctor sees The Master for the first time is about a mile from where I live and the scene where they were in the cafe and Donna was outside was done back in early April.

Stephen
26-12-2009, 17:16
It wasn't that it was poor, I am sure seeing the 2nd part it will make it a lot better.

Usually the first part of something can just be a story build up and until you see the final part of the story you can feel a little let down.

The Doctors breakdown in the cafe with Wilf was one of the best scenes imo.

Flyboy
26-12-2009, 21:27
I am wondering if it will be revealed that Wilf is actually Tom, from Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 AD and he had to have his mind, wiped like Donna's and that is why there is a connection to the Doctor.

If not, I was a bit disappointed that they didn't play on that connection, when he first appeared in Voyage of the Damned. It would have been a good way to connect the new style Dr Who to the past.

Tezcatlipoca
26-12-2009, 22:26
"Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 AD" isn't part of the same continuity as the DW TV series.

--------------

Strangely, "Wilfred Mott" is an anagram of "Timelord FTW" (or also "Timelord WTF")...

--------------

Chris
26-12-2009, 22:59
"Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 AD" isn't part of the same continuity as the DW TV series.

... and in the canonical version of that story (the Hartenll-era 'Dalek invasion of Earth'), the character doesn't feature.

Stuart
26-12-2009, 23:14

Indeed, they even get several things wrong. Not least the fact that the Doctor actually has the surname "Who" in the films (he has a name in the TV series, but it is not "Who" and is never used due to it apparently being beyond the comprehension of humans) and the fact that he is human in the films..

Stephen
27-12-2009, 00:17
They were simply made to cash in on the success of the TV series, as they were just movies of two existing Dalek stories from the 1st Doctor era.

Chris
27-12-2009, 10:17
Indeed, they even get several things wrong. Not least the fact that the Doctor actually has the surname "Who" in the films (he has a name in the TV series, but it is not "Who" and is never used due to it apparently being beyond the comprehension of humans) and the fact that he is human in the films..

They didn't get anything 'wrong' per se ... they were simply 'based upon' the TV series, rather than being straight re-makes. Much the same way as a novel made into a feature film is rarely 100% like-for-like.

dilli-theclaw
27-12-2009, 10:21
I got round to watching part one last night. It was ok I guess.

Chris
27-12-2009, 10:22
It wasn't that it was poor, I am sure seeing the 2nd part it will make it a lot better.

Usually the first part of something can just be a story build up and until you see the final part of the story you can feel a little let down.

The Doctors breakdown in the cafe with Wilf was one of the best scenes imo.

Absolutely, there was plenty for the backstory/continuity junkies in this episode ... the Doctor reflecting on the consequences of regeneration is absolute gold. There was also a throwaway mention of a place-name on Gallifrey (plains of something, I didn't catch it - did anyone else?), and the revelation that the Master's father owned a big estate, and the Master and the Doctor used to play together on it when they were children.

I love all that stuff - the show has been around so long now, it really does deserve to have the same sort of depth as Middle Earth, and I think RTD has been a genius at drawing together all the fragmented bits and pieces of background that were part of the original series more by accident or convenience than by design, and tying them together with new and exciting glimpses of places we can now only hope to see on screen in the future.

dilli-theclaw
27-12-2009, 10:30
I'd rather the just cancelled it when it was on a high (and I don't count this years specials as all that good so far) instead it seems to be heading for a reboot.

Still I thought galactica was going to be crap - so we shall see.

Kymmy
01-01-2010, 19:55
OH YES!!!!

You just gotta love the "NOT GINGER" comment :D:D:D

I wonder how many will complain about that

Stuart
01-01-2010, 19:57
I'd rather the just cancelled it when it was on a high (and I don't count this years specials as all that good so far) instead it seems to be heading for a reboot.

Still I thought galactica was going to be crap - so we shall see.
Steven Moffatt has written some of the best episodes in the new series. It doesn't automatically follow he will be a good replacement for Russell T Davis (who, IMO, isn't a great script writer, but has done a damn good job running the show).

It will be interesting to see any changes.

It's funny talking about this as a "reboot". The show has changed massively after every regeneration. While John Pertwee was the doctor, the show was very action-orientated, with the Doctor often getting involved in fights. While Tom Baker was the Doctor, then the show varied between being a comedy, action show and horror (often in the same story), while under Peter Davison, the show became more serious, and often more violent.

Stiil, as you say, we shall see.

Russ
01-01-2010, 20:01
Very very good episode, I think they dragged the ending out a far though.

Not sure about having a Doctor who looks about 14. But let's give him a chance :D

Hom3r
01-01-2010, 20:02
Seeing the TARDIS interior getting trashed makes sense.

I heard that the interior gets a revamp.

I won't comment on MS as the new Dr, because I pre judged DT and was wrong.

Matty_
01-01-2010, 20:14
Didn`t really like the bit with John Barrowman in it, seemed like a Star-Wars rip off with all them aliens walking round a boozer(maybe that was deliberate!).
All in all an enjoyable watch, dragged the ending out a bit though!

Gary L
01-01-2010, 20:36
OH YES!!!!

You just gotta love the "NOT GINGER" comment :D:D:D

I wonder how many will complain about that

:notme:

sir_drinks_alot
01-01-2010, 20:44
that was very good !

Russ
01-01-2010, 20:52
Didn`t really like the bit with John Barrowman in it, seemed like a Star-Wars rip off with all them aliens walking round a boozer(maybe that was deliberate!).

To me that felt like just another excuse for the usual RTD-inspired "get something gay in to each episode" angle.

Tezcatlipoca
01-01-2010, 21:24

LOL. It did seem a bit like the Mos Eisley Cantina!

-----------------

I liked it. I thought it was a lot better than part 1. I thought the way he met his end was done well, sacrificing himself for Wilf rather than being killed by The Master or The Lord Bond. I also liked the goodbye sequence - didn't think it was over long, just touching.

Who was "The Woman" though? How/why was she contacting Wilf?

Stuart
01-01-2010, 21:29

I thought it was good, but they got rid of the Timelords a bit quickly though.. Would have been nice to see the Timelords back, and intent on evil..

As for the JB bit, I thought the woman sitting next to him was actually dressed slightly like Princess Leia , so I think it was deliberate..

---------- Post added at 21:29 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

I liked it. I thought it was a lot better than part 1. I thought the way he met his end was done well, sacrificing himself for Wilf rather than being killed by The Master or The Lord Bond. I also liked the goodbye sequence - didn't think it was over long, just touching.

I thought the ending was nice, as it seemed like they were trying to tie up some loose ends, and let us know that the characters who helped the doctor along the way, prospered.

I also liked the fact that it seemed liked he was giving his life to save one man. A lot of the newer Doctor Who stories have involved the Doctor saving whole civilisations, and this is one problem I've had with the series under RTD. I find it hard to empathise when a whole civilisation is put in danger, because that's on a scale I can't envisage properly. Putting one man in danger, that is on a scale that I can envisage, easily..

And yes, I do know that Wilf was put in danger as a result of the Doctor saving civilization, but the Doctor wasn't killed directly by saving the humans..

Chris
01-01-2010, 22:34
Seeing the TARDIS interior getting trashed makes sense.

I heard that the interior gets a revamp.

A complete re-build, in fact, while the external prop has been re-dressed so it looks as the TARDIS appeared in the original pilot episode in 1963 (which wasn't even broadcast at the time).

The production reason for doing it is that the 2005 set wasn't intended to be shot in HD, and so had to be replaced out of necessity, as it's all going to be shot in HD from now on.

There has been much speculation over the in-universe reason for the new set, but it would appear to have something to do with the Doctor trying to resist the regeneration process.

I think that was quite deliberate. They have referenced numerous sci-fi films and shows in the past.

I don't think so - I think it was a well thought out approach to regeneration. He had a few minutes' warning that his time was up, so he took the chance to cram in as much as he could. In a way it was also an antidote to the somewhat decadent adventures he said he went on before returning to the Oodsphere at the beginning of this story.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

New series trailer is up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/newyear/

Tezcatlipoca
01-01-2010, 22:41
Any speculation on the identity of "The Woman"?

I've seen various ideas thrown about... Romana, The Doctor's mother, an older Donna, an older Rose...

She seemed a bit unnecessary to me.

A pity we didn't get more of The Lord Bond. Dalton was great.

re. The Time War...

So it was The Doctor who actually "Time Locked" it, trapping the Timelords & Daleks*?

I do remember the Time Lock being mentioned before, but I'd always assumed that The Doctor had done something worse & actually destroyed Gallifrey, The Time Lords, & the Daleks.

*[Well, apart from all those Daleks that escaped of course]

Russ
01-01-2010, 22:42
New series trailer is up:

And it looks good, I reckon he could do well. I just hope they don't try to turn him 'sexy'.

Tezcatlipoca
01-01-2010, 22:45
[/COLOR]New series trailer is up:

Already in the season 5 thread ;) :)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/110/33659849-doctor-who-season-5-a.html

Delta Whiskey
01-01-2010, 22:54
On the whole it was a good ending for DT, I enjoyed the tying up of loose ends and I thought the Star Wars homage was spot on. Anyone for a spin off series, Mr & Mrs Smith starring Martha & Micky? (instead of Angelina & Brad). ;)

Tezcatlipoca
01-01-2010, 22:57
Anyone remember when Rassilon was last in Classic Who?

Russ
01-01-2010, 22:57
I'd forgotten how hot Martha was too :romance: