PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem disconnects when iplayer is downloading

babybob
08-07-2008, 18:23
Hello

I have a problem with using BBC Iplayer on virgin broadband here are the facts:

1) Iplayer has previously been working perfectly since it launched
2) I have tried with a router and directly plugged into the modem
3) If I start the iplayer p2p application within 2-3 mins the cable modem connecetion drops completely, no internet access
4) It happens from 3 different pcs with vista and xp
5) I have to unplug the modem and wait a while (sometimes hours) for the cable modem to reconnect
6) It only effects Iplayer, torrents are fine
7) Interestingly if I connect to my works VPN connection (therefore all my traffic is encrypted) and then launch iplayer it will work fine for hours on end (but at a rubish download rate)
8) This happens any time of day even when I have not used the connection all day so its not a download limits issue

Anyone got any ideas before I try and explain this to some call center person who will not find the answer on their script?

Thanks
Brian

sstainer
08-07-2008, 19:50
they released a new version of Iplayer weekend or last week maybe this to do with it?
probable not
is it the one on the web or the downloaded version personally i use the on bbc website one

babybob
08-07-2008, 23:04
Hi

This started before the new version was release so thats not the issue. I use the download one not the streaming one (much better quality)

Brian

Graham M
08-07-2008, 23:06
Could be your upload is getting flooded by the P2P part, I think you can turn off uploading in the options, give that a go!

babybob
09-07-2008, 07:22
you cannot turn of uploading, the only related option is to not upload in the background when you are not downloading.

Brian

ceedee
09-07-2008, 18:35
I'd guess that either your router or the cable modem can't handle the large number of connections that the iPlayer makes.
Which modem and router are you using?
Which broadband package are you on and what speeds do you normally get before iPlayer causes the disconnection?

babybob
09-07-2008, 21:00
Im on the L package.

Its not the router, as I said I connected directly to the modem with the same result.

I also don't see how it can be the connections as if I vpn (using virgin to connect to work so all the connections still end up going throug virgin, but encrypted) to work and then use iplayer it works just fine, if slower

Brian

babybob
11-08-2008, 08:55
bump, anyone or will I have to try and get a call center person to find an answer on their script (not!)

chickendippers
11-08-2008, 09:26
Or you could ask on the support.virginmedia.broadband newsgroup (http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/).

jonbr
11-08-2008, 13:24
bump, anyone or will I have to try and get a call center person to find an answer on their script (not!)

Call VM when every thing is up and running. Explain the poroblem to them and let them check the line/modem. Then start a download and wait till you lose the connection and then ask them to check the line/modem again. They will see that the modem is down and arrange for a person to check it out.

I had a similar problem, as soon as they could see the modem was down they arranged for my modem to be swapped and it resolved the issue. At the very least it will be another item to remove from the possible causes list ;)