PDA

View Full Version : Random disconnects around Midnight

AbyssUnderground
08-07-2008, 13:11
Hello all,

The last week or so I've been getting random broadband disconnects at around Midnight to 2am time. My graphs on several occasions show this. The only way to get it back on is to reboot the modem. The SYNC and RDY lights stay on and the ETH and UP lights flash occasionally when disconnected.

This only started when we had VM TV installed last week. I have checked the signal levels and everything seems fine, but I was worried about the SNR, it was much higher before.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.48 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 28.38 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 48.00 dBmv

Is there any way to improve the SNR myself? When we had it installed a piece of the original cable was removed (since we had excess) to run to the TV. Is it possible the connections crimped on the ends aren't very good and are ruining the SNR? Bear in mind our broadband has been reliable as you can get the last 6-7 years and never randomly disconnecting, ever.

eth01
08-07-2008, 13:14
Hello all,

The last week or so I've been getting random broadband disconnects at around Midnight to 2am time. My graphs on several occasions show this. The only way to get it back on is to reboot the modem. The SYNC and RDY lights stay on and the ETH and UP lights flash occasionally when disconnected.

This only started when we had VM TV installed last week. I have checked the signal levels and everything seems fine, but I was worried about the SNR, it was much higher before.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.48 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 28.38 dB

Is there any way to improve the SNR myself? When we had it installed a piece of the original cable was removed (since we had excess) to run to the TV. Is it possible the connections crimped on the ends aren't very good and are ruining the SNR? Bear in mind our broadband has been reliable as you can get the last 6-7 years and never randomly disconnecting, ever.

Could just be tuff luck :D

AbyssUnderground
08-07-2008, 13:16
Could just be tuff luck :D

Thats a great help...

eth01
08-07-2008, 13:20
Thats a great help...

Hmmm? :rolleyes:

:p:

Maggy
08-07-2008, 13:23
Hmmm? :rolleyes:

:p:

I'm sorry to say I have to agree that your post didn't seem particularly helpful to AbyssUnderground.

eth01
08-07-2008, 13:26
sometimes when things are put simply... they don't always come across as being "particularly helpful"...

It's like asking if your water pressure has gone up the swanny? we can't.

AbyssUnderground
08-07-2008, 13:26
What the?!?

Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.18 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 27.27 dB

The levels just plummeted... Tho we do have a thunder storm happening at the moment, could that be why? Still I feel it getting more unstable by the second.

eth01
08-07-2008, 13:27
What the?!?

Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.18 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 27.27 dB

The levels just plummeted... Tho we do have a thunder storm happening at the moment, could that be why? Still I feel it getting more unstable by the second.

You should just unplug the modem and leave it for a couple of hours.

Maggy
08-07-2008, 13:28
sometimes when things are put simply... they don't always come across as being "particularly helpful"...

It's like asking if your water pressure has gone up the swanny? we can't.

Well if you can't help why say anything at all?:confused:

Ah good some helpful advice.

colin-bennett
08-07-2008, 13:35
You should just unplug the modem and leave it for a couple of hours.
Dont you argue with Maggy J
You could be in trouble...

eth01
08-07-2008, 13:39
Dont you argue with Maggy J
You could be in trouble...

<removed by eth01>

Maggy
08-07-2008, 14:15
Now I hope someone can come up with some help for the OP.He really needs some sensible suggestions and I'm sure there is someone,somewhere on the forums who can help.;) :tu:

MovedGoalPosts
08-07-2008, 14:40
Have you called broadband faults? They might be able to see something from logs that show and issue. It you've just had TV installed your signal could be just on the edge. Maybe there is some sort of update, possible for the EPG of TV triggered around that time, which creates just that bit too much traffic?

colin-bennett
08-07-2008, 14:45
Now I hope someone can come up with some help for the OP.He really needs some sensible suggestions and I'm sure there is someone,somewhere on the forums who can help.;) :tu:
Ok
On thread
Firstly
Check if your UBR is being upgraded.
It does sound strange that this happend after TV Installed. Any splitter used by the tech can reduce signal levels dBmv as it introduces a resitance.
As always best call tech support to check. If req'd a tech will call out to change the levels in the cab or check connections are secure,

<edit Rob: Deleted>

AbyssUnderground
08-07-2008, 15:32
Have you called broadband faults? They might be able to see something from logs that show and issue. It you've just had TV installed your signal could be just on the edge. Maybe there is some sort of update, possible for the EPG of TV triggered around that time, which creates just that bit too much traffic?

Well I have posted the signal levels and the only one that looks bad is the SNR and that only dropped when we had the TV installed. What gets me is why it -only- does it at midnight to 2am and not during the rest of the day.

Maggy
08-07-2008, 20:45
:bump:

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-07-2008, 21:01
a few years back if there was a thunderstorm my BB would be a nightmare until an eng came out. Was the same everytime there was a storm. They changed the amp and its been fine ever since

AbyssUnderground
08-07-2008, 22:03
a few years back if there was a thunderstorm my BB would be a nightmare until an eng came out. Was the same everytime there was a storm. They changed the amp and its been fine ever since

There hasn't been a storm at 12am-2am every night since we had the TV installed though.

Is there any way to increase the SNR since I am almost certain that is where the problem lies.

whydoIneedatech
08-07-2008, 22:05
There hasn't been a storm at 12am-2am every night since we had the TV installed though.

Is there any way to increase the SNR since I am almost certain that is where the problem lies.

Only through Tech Support sending an Engineer to adjust it in your Green Cabinet.

Nedkelly
08-07-2008, 22:24
The snr could bve the problem you said it only happend when you had the tv installed .The was a problem with some of the new splitters the techs were using this could be the cause the problem you have now is getting a tech who understands snr and getting a tech out .I would point this out to the tech when you get one out :)

GrahamP
08-07-2008, 23:01
Hey.

Discount everything from above.

I'm having exactly the same problems, 22:30 till about 1:00am+ is a nightmare. I think i've now narrowed it down to the fact that Virgin seem to start their

"Unicast Maintenance Ranging" (i.e. try to upgrade their modems at this time).

Even if the upgrade fails, which it does every time, it resets your modem. which = disconnect.

If you load up http://192.168.100.1/ in your browser, Username& Password = Root

You will see that it says this in your event log and the time stamp will be exactly the same time in which your connection drops/

The call centre (bless them) have no solution for this, but I have another engineer coming next week to have a look!

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

p.s. you will notice that even if you disconnect the splitter and use the connection directly from the wall, that you will get the same problem!

Wicked_and_Crazy
08-07-2008, 23:02

nooo i meant it happened to me after a storm the eng came out to reset the signal levels, all was fine until the next storm and then the problems started again. Once they replaced the amp ive never had the problem again

AbyssUnderground
08-07-2008, 23:22
Hey.

Discount everything from above.

I'm having exactly the same problems, 22:30 till about 1:00am+ is a nightmare. I think i've now narrowed it down to the fact that Virgin seem to start their

"Unicast Maintenance Ranging" (i.e. try to upgrade their modems at this time).

Even if the upgrade fails, which it does every time, it resets your modem. which = disconnect.

If you load up http://192.168.100.1/ in your browser, Username& Password = Root

You will see that it says this in your event log and the time stamp will be exactly the same time in which your connection drops/

The call centre (bless them) have no solution for this, but I have another engineer coming next week to have a look!

---------- Post added at 23:01 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

p.s. you will notice that even if you disconnect the splitter and use the connection directly from the wall, that you will get the same problem!

This only started a week ago, its never happened before. The first time it happened was the day the TV was installed.

Where can I get a new splitter from without going through VM who will likely cost a bomb? I'm guessing the splitter could be the problem because the SNR goes up again when I remove it. I would disconnect the TV when its not in use but thats a pain since I have to lift floor boards up to do it.

moaningmags
09-07-2008, 00:54
Where can I get a new splitter from without going through VM who will likely cost a bomb? I'm guessing the splitter could be the problem because the SNR goes up again when I remove it. I would disconnect the TV when its not in use but thats a pain since I have to lift floor boards up to do it.

It won't cost anything, you have a fault with your service.

Now if you do go buy it from elsewhere, that's where you will run into probs if you ever do need a tech out. Oh, that's not ours, that's to blame, that's a £75 call out charge.
Not a definite, but a possibility.
Low snr will be causing timeouts all over the place.

eth01
09-07-2008, 12:00
It won't cost anything, you have a fault with your service.

Now if you do go buy it from elsewhere, that's where you will run into probs if you ever do need a tech out. Oh, that's not ours, that's to blame, that's a £75 call out charge.
Not a definite, but a possibility.
Low snr will be causing timeouts all over the place.

You can get that £75 wavered in some cases.

moaningmags
10-07-2008, 02:23
Not if he causes the fault by using non-VM equipment.