PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new Virgin Broadband installation

Amanojaku
07-07-2008, 01:55
Hello all,
I was looking for some advice on the following issue:

I have a new Virgin broadband install at home (XL) and I have had it working fine when connected directly to my PC. However when I introduce the supplied router into the mix i can't get an internet connection to the PC. The router is a netgear WGR614 v6 wireless and wired.

Essentially I have no need for the wireless connection as i have no wireless equipment, but when i have contacted virgin and they have run through their investigation they have advised that everything seems fine but i will need a wireless nic in my PC in addition to the wired connection to establish an internet connection. This does not make any sense to me. Can anybody here confirm this either way ?

The router itself can see the modem fine and can pick up an appropriate ip adress on its WAN port, and I can manage the router fine from my PC so there does not appear to be any connectivity issues ?

Thanks in advance.

jaycee
07-07-2008, 08:03
This is rubbish, you need a connection in one way - either via a cable or via wireless, not both.

What IP do you get from the router when connected with a cable ? The output of ipconfig /all is probably best here.

Raistlin
07-07-2008, 08:10
Ok, can you confirm something for me.

When the PC is connected directly to the modem you have a connection that works ok. Then, when you swap the modem for the router (still with a wired connection via Ehernet) you lose your connectivity to the Internet?

Can you also confirm that when you swap the router into the equation you are following the sequence below:

1. Switch everything off
2. Unplug the modem from the computer
3. Plug the PC into the router via Ethernet and then the router into the modem via Ethernet
4. Power the Modem on, leave 5 minutes
5. Power the router on, leave 5 minutes
6. Power the computer on

whydoIneedatech
07-07-2008, 09:18
Hello all,
I was looking for some advice on the following issue:

I have a new Virgin broadband install at home (XL) and I have had it working fine when connected directly to my PC. However when I introduce the supplied router into the mix i can't get an internet connection to the PC. The router is a netgear WGR614 v6 wireless and wired.

Essentially I have no need for the wireless connection as i have no wireless equipment, but when i have contacted virgin and they have run through their investigation they have advised that everything seems fine but i will need a wireless nic in my PC in addition to the wired connection to establish an internet connection. This does not make any sense to me. Can anybody here confirm this either way ?

The router itself can see the modem fine and can pick up an appropriate ip adress on its WAN port, and I can manage the router fine from my PC so there does not appear to be any connectivity issues ?

Thanks in advance.

You have a PC and a Wireless Router and you want your PC to have a Wireless connection, if this is so then the PC must either have Wireless capability built in or you need a USB Wireless Dongle like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-BlueNEXT-Wireless-Adapter-54Mbps/dp/B000RJ3VY6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215418482&sr=8-3 or an inbuilt card like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WN550G-54Mbps-Wireless-Card/dp/B000FO6QYA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1215418648&sr=8-2

Raistlin
07-07-2008, 09:39
Essentially I have no need for the wireless connection as i have no wireless equipment

Quoted for clarification.

The OP doesn't seem to want to connect wirelessly, but rather seems to be having issues moving from a setup without a router to a setup with one.

whydoIneedatech
07-07-2008, 09:47
Quoted for clarification.

The OP doesn't seem to want to connect wirelessly, but rather seems to be having issues moving from a setup without a router to a setup with one.

I can see what your saying and I did read the post a couple of times before posting above.

Either he wants wired and follows your post or he wants to go wireless with his router and he gets an adapter like I posted.;)

It is a bit unclear with the router being in the equation so maybe he could let us know which route he wants to take.

Amanojaku
07-07-2008, 19:51
Thanks for your responses,

to clarify I am not looking to setup a wireless connection from my PC to the router, as my house is wired up for ethernet (this all performs as expected with my current adsl + router combo). The problem is indeed that the internet connection is fine when I have the modem connected directly to my PC but not when I have the router in the middle.

In response to RobM I have followed the connection and power on sequence as advised by virgin when I was on the phone to them which is much the same as the process you descibe but not with the 5 min waits. I will give this a go later this evening. As the problem stood last night the router was picking up a WAN port ip from the modem of 83.xxx.xxx.xxx (I will swap connections back and post a full ipconfig of the router later on), the router was on an internal adress of 192.168.1.1, and my PC had picked up 192.168.1.2 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1 from dhcp. Once again I will post a full ipconfig later this evening.

If anybody has any other suggestions or pointers in the meantime they would be most welcome.

Many Thanks.

nathkrul
07-07-2008, 22:08
Hi, when you installed the router did you use the setup cd, I ask this because it sounds as though your modem is rejecting the routers mac address.
The setup cd usually copies your mac address from your computer and lets your router use it, or you could go into the router setup page and it should give you the option of tranfering your computers mac address to the router.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Amanojaku
08-07-2008, 01:12
hello again - once again thanks for all your responses, however I am feeling a bit red faced at the moment due to the fact that while I was collating my ipconfigs to post here I noticed that my default gateway was still set to 192.168.0.1 and not 192.168.1.1 having made this change I can now connect unsurprisingly ! :dunce:

In any case thanks again for all your responses :)