PDA

View Full Version : Convo with Virgin (2mb to 10mb)

middlefinger
06-07-2008, 13:16
Just got off the phone to customer support, I was asking them about upgrading from 2mb to the new 10mb package.

The lady said 'don't worry about upgrading because in the middle of July all 2mb and 4mb customers are being automatically upgraded to 10mb for free'

I said 'are you sure its 2mb aswell as 4mb'

She said ' i guarantee you all 2mb connections are being upgraded'

Is she talking **** or have I missed something in the last few months?

cimt
06-07-2008, 13:27
2Mb is being upgraded but not to 10Mb just yet, I think it's going either to 4 or 5Mb.

weesteev
06-07-2008, 13:31
Nothing has been announced at this stage what will happen to 2mb so anything is just speculation. Virgin are focussing on upgrading all 4mb customers to 10mb and that will take till around the end of September at current estimates. Until Virgin state otherwise then approach 2mb upgrade information with caution.

whydoIneedatech
06-07-2008, 13:40
Just got off the phone to customer support, I was asking them about upgrading from 2mb to the new 10mb package.

The lady said 'don't worry about upgrading because in the middle of July all 2mb and 4mb customers are being automatically upgraded to 10mb for free'

I said 'are you sure its 2mb aswell as 4mb'

She said ' i guarantee you all 2mb connections are being upgraded'

Is she talking **** or have I missed something in the last few months?

They have not even finished upgrading the 4Mb customers to 10Mb check this link http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html so the likelihood of any upgrade in July for both 2Mb and 4Mb is to put it mildly codswallop.

At the moment the are no solid plans to upgrade 2Mb at all as obviously they want people to have an incentive to upgrade to 10Mb and pay them more money.

Ernie_C
06-07-2008, 15:02
Just think about it. If both M (2Mb) and L (4Mb) were to become 10Mb, what price would you charge?

There is currently a £7 difference in price between M and L. Do you increase the charge for the M customers? You couldn't because that would effectively forcing them onto the L price.

You would have to reduce the price for the L customers by £7. While that would be great, they would be giving away their revenue.

There are currently no plans to upgrade the M customers from 2Mb.

bargepole
06-07-2008, 23:32
It would seem reasonable that virgin will upgrade the 2Mb service to say 4Mb at some point in the near future. After all they've more than doubled the 4Mb service at no extra cost to the customer.

A basic 2mb aint going to attract too many new broadband customers.

sstainer
06-07-2008, 23:41
i dont think she was listening too well tbh

Halcyon
06-07-2008, 23:41
2mb is quite a slow speed now. They will definately have to upgrade it soon. Let's hope it doesnt take forever.

eth01
07-07-2008, 12:00
2mb is quite a slow speed now. They will definately have to upgrade it soon. Let's hope it doesnt take forever.

it is :)

broadbandbug
07-07-2008, 16:21

No I don't think they will upgrade the speed.. I think they will drop the price instead;)

spanna
07-07-2008, 16:28
either that or have a more restrictive cap on the M package

FWIW 2mb is plenty fast enough for casual browsing - don't any of you remember dial up :shocked:

Nicosia
07-07-2008, 17:00
i remember dial up i was very happy with a 7kb download speed thinking that was very fast

nomadking
07-07-2008, 17:06
either that or have a more restrictive cap on the M package

FWIW 2mb is plenty fast enough for casual browsing - don't any of you remember dial up :shocked:

I'm old enough to remember 300 baud(bits per second) acoustic couplers 30+ years ago. About half the phone bill for the school went on the computer link.

Ernie_C
07-07-2008, 17:30
I'm old enough to remember 300 baud(bits per second) acoustic couplers 30+ years ago. About half the phone bill for the school went on the computer link.
Yes, me too. My first Internet Banking was the Bank of Scotland's HOBS (Home and Office Banking System) which I accessed from by BBC Micro using an acoustic coupler.

watzizname
08-07-2008, 00:09
No I don't think they will upgrade the speed.. I think they will drop the price instead;)

Lol.. Too funny.

As speculation seems to run this board, thought i'd share some of my own.

M - 10mb
L - 20mb
XL - 50mb

This seems to me, more likely (given the companies upgrade history & its desire to shower SKY with the golden stuff) than any of the fourth tier comments i keep reading about.

xspeedyx
08-07-2008, 08:41
Lol.. Too funny.

M - 10mb
L - 20mb
XL - 50mb

This seems to me, more likely (given the companies upgrade history & its desire to shower SKY with the golden stuff) than any of the fourth tier comments i keep reading about.

That will never happen

Sherlock614
08-07-2008, 10:57
That will never happen

Never ever?? :D

xspeedyx
08-07-2008, 10:58
Never ever?? :D

For a long dam time

Sherlock614
08-07-2008, 11:00
For a long dam time

ok :LOL:

Matth
08-07-2008, 21:57
Speeds?

I remember 128k (and grabbing 256k total by double-streaming), 150k, 300k, and when 1Mbit was the top tier, not the bottom.

Fact is, with every Tom, Dick and Harry offerring "up to 8Mb" ADSL at cheap prices in phone or TV bundles, Virgin's base offerrings are looking seriously out of touch.

The other issue, if the base speeds are increased beyond 2Mbit, what about the Pace STB? - that "couldn't do 2Mbit", now it does, but the strain shows.

My rating and recommendation for VM would probably increase somewhat, if the box wasn't needing resets at least once a week - trouble is, it's quicker to give it the 3 finger salute, or power cycle when the FP reset is inoperable, than to go for faults and stand a chance of a nice dual processor Samsung instead.

whydoIneedatech
08-07-2008, 22:01
Speeds?

I remember 128k (and grabbing 256k total by double-streaming), 150k, 300k, and when 1Mbit was the top tier, not the bottom.

Fact is, with every Tom, Dick and Harry offerring "up to 8Mb" ADSL at cheap prices in phone or TV bundles, Virgin's base offerrings are looking seriously out of touch.

The other issue, if the base speeds are increased beyond 2Mbit, what about the Pace STB? - that "couldn't do 2Mbit", now it does, but the strain shows.

My rating and recommendation for VM would probably increase somewhat, if the box wasn't needing resets at least once a week - trouble is, it's quicker to give it the 3 finger salute, or power cycle when the FP reset is inoperable, than to go for faults and stand a chance of a nice dual processor Samsung instead.
Much better to upgrade to a nice modem and actually be able to upgrade to 20Mb if you wanted to and Virgin would prefer it if you did.;)

cimt
08-07-2008, 22:14
Lol.. Too funny.

M - 10mb
L - 20mb
XL - 50mb

I would of went with this myself:

M - 4/5Mb
L - 10Mb
XL - 20Mb
XXL - 50Mb

Nicosia
08-07-2008, 23:34
all 50mbit users will need to buy new modem for this 50mbit to work wont they? for those who will upgrade

whydoIneedatech
08-07-2008, 23:35
all 50mbit users will need to buy new modem for this 50mbit to work wont they? for those who will upgrade

Will probably be free, as they will get their money back with the subscription;)

Nicosia
09-07-2008, 07:50
sweet, then i might just upgrade i hope they dont need to send a tech guy to install it

tyrrill
17-03-2009, 20:58
yes it is going from 2mb to 10mb i had this e-mail from Virgin i hope it helps.

It’s amazing to watch how the internet is changing our lives, isn’t it? Downloading music and movies, playing games online, sharing our lives through social networking – we can do so much more than ever seemed possible not so long ago.

The world of fibre optic broadband is picking up the pace. Even the government has realised the power of superfast broadband, and are now telling us that the UK needs it!

When we first launched, we were offering customers speeds of up to 10Mb. Now – thanks to the phenomenal power of fibre optic cable – we’re offering you up to 50Mb. Virgin Media is still the only place to get fibre optic broadband where you live, and the good news is, you’ve got it!

To make sure you’re always getting the most out of the fast changing internet world, we’ve been speeding up your service. We’ve already upgraded customers from up to 4Mb to up to 10Mb and now it’s your turn. We’ll be boosting your broadband from up to 2Mb to up to 10Mb. But who says we need to stop there?

With fibre optic technology the possibilities are virtually limitless.

On top of almost infinite speeds, there’s the simply brilliant things that only fibre optic broadband brings. Right now, you’re already getting unlimited downloads and free internet security. But we’re about to bring you more.

Some of our best ideas at Virgin come about because you tell us how to change things for the better. For instance, you told us that protecting your files was important to you – and that’s just one of the things that our new, free, ‘My Stuff’ service lets you do. I’ll be writing to you soon to give you all the details, but for now, here’s a quick taster…

No one likes losing things – so that’s why we’ve come up with a really easy, secure way to backup all your files, so you never lose photos or music files again.

Life’s all about sharing, too. So we wanted to make it easier to share the photos and video clips you want to with friends and family. Our new storage service will let you do just that.

All this is possible thanks to the power of fibre optic broadband. As well as being the fastest broadband in the UK, it’s also the only broadband technology with the capacity to keep challenging what’s possible and keep offering you more.

We want to bring better broadband to all. So over the next few weeks, I’ll be leading the campaign. But as one of our most valued customers, I wanted to let you in on our plans first.

Exciting times are ahead! I’m glad you’re part of it.;)

Nicosia
17-03-2009, 21:04
is the traffic capping thing going to be 1GB?

alferret
17-03-2009, 21:16
:confused: is it just me :confused:

joglynne
17-03-2009, 21:18
No. :D

Nicosia
17-03-2009, 21:26
i hope they have a list this time with the places that will be upgraded

Pbryanw
17-03-2009, 22:36
No. :D
Seconded. :D

homealone
17-03-2009, 22:58
i hope they have a list this time with the places that will be upgraded

If having a list would make it happen more quickly, then you might have a point

- however in my opinion, all issuing a list will engender is the inevitable 'I was on the list for Tuesday & it is one minute past midnight Wednesday morning & still hasn't happened' type of reaction.

Darrenp
18-03-2009, 01:13
I dont want to be upgraded from my 2 to 10.

My 2 currently runs at 2 all the time whereas it seems everyone elses 10 and 20 seems very erratic to say the least.

I'd rather have a reliable and constant 2 than an erratic up and down 10.

tyrrill
18-03-2009, 06:08
yes list will be good i'm from birmingham b24 and have been with virgin over 6 years so i think it's about time virgin looked after us instead of just new members to virgin let me know if any one else get email or letter from virgin

Milambar
18-03-2009, 06:27
If you bother to read some of the other posts on this forum you will discover that they are indeed upgrading 2MB to 10MB, because 2MB is effectivly a discontinued package. It will cost you £2 more per month though.

tyrrill
18-03-2009, 07:09
No no no it's free made a call to virgin and it is free upgrade ........................4mb went up to 10mb over the last 2 years now it's our turn and i have had a life time price plan for the past 4 years as long as i don't change my package did you read the email copy i posted ????

Nicosia
18-03-2009, 17:56
with the 20mbit they had a list i know it wasent any faster but it was good to see your area when it was enabled, how come they dident do it with the 50mbit

BenMcr
18-03-2009, 18:06
We've been through this. The way the 50Mbit areas are getting released is when they are ready. There is no schedule so they can't publish one

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

No no no it's free made a call to virgin and it is free upgrade ........................4mb went up to 10mb over the last 2 years now it's our turn and i have had a life time price plan for the past 4 years as long as i don't change my package did you read the email copy i posted ????
BB M goes up by £2 on the 1st of May - for the most part including those on Customer Relations bundles, so everyones bill will go up by £2 if they have BB M

Ignitionnet
18-03-2009, 18:08
We've been through this. The way the 50Mbit areas are getting released is when they are ready. There is no schedule so they can't publish one

There is but it's not particularly definitive, there's a list of sites to be done for each month and target dates for when the install, etc, will happen but it's liable to delays.

Ben you seem to be getting awfully tense on this forum recently and a bit tetchy with the punters. Lie on Broadbandings' couch and tell him your dreams of providings switchings.

tyrrill
18-03-2009, 18:54
all bills go up every year. If it goes up by £2 a month so what virgin is still the best out there

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

and ben please take a chill pill

leexgx
18-03-2009, 19:22
why bring this thread back from the dead any point to it ??

is tyrrill and Nicosia same user ?

whats with all that euro stuff when posting that msg

Nicosia
18-03-2009, 19:52
no not the same user :) check my ip its .cy and his im guessing a uk one .. why would you think we are the same person?

nutellajunkie
20-03-2009, 11:23
i miss 64 up and down for a fiver.

DanielW1020
12-05-2009, 07:13
Anyone here had their 'free' upgrade from 2mb to 10mb around the Bath / Bristol area yet?