PDA

View Full Version : Downgrading my broadband

Golden Boy
02-07-2008, 22:02
Hi,

I am considering downgrading my Broadband to the new 10Meg option as I don't really benefit much fromt he 20Meg option I am currently on.

However ont he Vigin site it only gives me options to upgrade and simply tells me I have the XL package and therefore there are no further options.

Is there a way to downgrade on-line.

Sorry of this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything quickly.

Thanks.

BuckleZ
02-07-2008, 22:05
Usually you have to ring up, and as long as you're out of contract i don't see an issue

Tech_Boy
02-07-2008, 22:06
You have to ring Customer Services (free on 150) to downgrade.

Visitor
03-07-2008, 21:37
I think (for example) the 3 for £30 would apply, then add the price difference
between the 4Mb and 10Mb , you dont say what you got, but yes you need to phone up.

See if you can get a deal ?

Rone
03-07-2008, 21:56
I'm looking at downgrading, 20 meg is pretty useless these days seeing as your not supposed to do anything with it.

broadbandbug
04-07-2008, 08:47
I'm looking at downgrading, 20 meg is pretty useless these days seeing as your not supposed to do anything with it.

Just consider the STM Thresholds for 10Mb/s when you downgrade.. i.e. on 20Mb/s you get a 6GB day and 3GB evening threshold.. on 10Mb/s you get something like 2.4GB day and 1.2GB evening threshold.. Also 20Mb/s comes down to 5Mb/s but 10Mb/s comes down to 2.5Mb/s..
You need to check what fits for your usage or what speed during STM you would be 'happy:(' to live with:)

Itshim
04-07-2008, 09:28
Just consider the STM Thresholds for 10Mb/s when you downgrade.. i.e. on 20Mb/s you get a 6GB day and 3GB evening threshold.. on 10Mb/s you get something like 2.4GB day and 1.2GB evening threshold.. Also 20Mb/s comes down to 5Mb/s but 10Mb/s comes down to 2.5Mb/s..
You need to check what fits for your usage or what speed during STM you would be 'happy:(' to live with:)
Must send this to the Oxford dictionary.New definition of unlimited !!!:rolleyes:

broadbandbug
04-07-2008, 10:42
Must send this to the Oxford dictionary.New definition of unlimited !!!:rolleyes:

Ask them to file it next to infinite;)

Hugh
04-07-2008, 10:51
But surely by having a speed limit (2Mb/s, 4Mb/s, 10, 20, etc), this is also limiting it - why don't people complain about that? ;)

Adi
04-07-2008, 13:36
You can downgrade your broadband by email...............Honest lol

they responded within 16 hours for me

Visitor
09-07-2008, 12:32

You got lucky, I sent an email once, and it was 6 weeks before they replied, by then I forgot what it was for, and had already phoned them and sorted it.

Still not as bad as BT, sent them an email once and 8 months later they said they had a problem, so sorry it took so long to reply. This time I had forgotten what it was for, and asked them... still waiting for a reply :)

whydoIneedatech
09-07-2008, 22:47
You can downgrade your broadband by email...............Honest lol

Would not happen now due being unable to prove that you are actually the account holder, you would now be told to ring in to Customer Services on 150.

chuzzlemonkey
09-07-2008, 23:03
Hi,

I am considering downgrading my Broadband to the new 10Meg option as I don't really benefit much fromt he 20Meg option I am currently on.

However ont he Vigin site it only gives me options to upgrade and simply tells me I have the XL package and therefore there are no further options.

Is there a way to downgrade on-line.

Sorry of this has been asked before but I couldn't find anything quickly.

Thanks.

Hi there!

you can always take the route of callup on 150 or 08454541111 to arrange the downgrade, this is the best method as the advisors can advise you of any changes that happen to your bill eg. pro rates or any changes to the offer that you are on (some offers are lost when you downgrade) or they could even make you an offer better than your current one..

But if you really want to mail, just follow this link:
https://help2.virginmedia.com/assets/customer_zone/genenqformCZ.html

Fill this in and your request will be actioned ASAP (usually 5 days tops)

I'll be honest, its best to keep it brief if emailing as it is possible that the mail will go to India so a quick "Hi, can you please downgrade me to 10mb?" Would be best.

Also any password that they ask you for on that email is your CVP to your account, not your internet/email passwords - never mail these out under any circumstances!

Also bare in mind that VM haven't upgraded the entire country to 10mb from 4mb yet.

You can check your area by following the following link:
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

If there is no date next to your area don't worry! This just means that they heven't get the exact date yet, check back in a couple of weeks and the date may be there...either way this will happen by end of september.

Visitor
10-07-2008, 21:51
And remember, to get the new speed we advise that you reboot your modem.

Now how did I know they were going to say that :)

Golden Boy
11-07-2008, 23:47
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate you help.

Phone call appears to be the best option.

Berealwith
12-07-2008, 00:36
but why do you want to downgrade anyway ? are you having problems ?

Adi
12-07-2008, 10:57
Would not happen now due being unable to prove that you are actually the account holder, you would now be told to ring in to Customer Services on 150.

It would and did happen. Only did it at the beginning of June.

BenMcr
12-07-2008, 11:15
As far as I know, as long as the Account password is included in the form then the request can be actioned. If there is no password or identity cannot be confirmed, then you would be asked to call in

Rone
12-07-2008, 11:33
but why do you want to downgrade anyway ? are you having problems ?

With the current stm now at additional stupid times, why should i pay £37pm when i can save a bit of money as well. Ok, so any big download would take longer, but there's nothing i'm in that much of a rush for.