PDA

View Full Version : Sudden loss of internet service - Portsmouth

deed02392
02-07-2008, 14:59
Just trying to visit my own website and there was no reply. Can't even ping myself. Looked at router stats, wasn't able to get proper IP. Restarted modem, ready light flashing. router gets 192.168.100.10 ip, modem web page shows dhcp failed, discovery sent, no offer received.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Griffin
02-07-2008, 15:02
no problems here in Fratton, could be possibly a cabinet problem in your area or perhaps the begining of the upgrades

deed02392
02-07-2008, 15:47
Yeah, I'm in fratton too, PO48AP. Whereabouts are you? First the rain, now no internet. What else is there to do in life??

Edit: i'm on the 20Mb package, the upgrades shouldn't affect me surely?

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Just tried replugging it a few times and still no go. On a friends wireless who's also on virgin and we are browsing without problems.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

Cosham areaFareham, Portsmouth, Havant, Horndean, Locksheath July

Aha, my mate is now on 10Mb. He reckons that his downloads are going much faster, so it looks like the upgrade is happening! Bit concerning that my 20Mb connection has been killed though just for this matter. Is tech support 20p a minute still, or is it worth giving them a ring?

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Phoned Virgin and apparently they're working on the situation. Looks like you just got lucky then Griffin =[

fatbloke
02-07-2008, 16:50
I have lost my service since about 11.30 am but it is back up again now.:)
I am in Havant.

shibby
02-07-2008, 16:51
I'm in the Waterloovlle area PO8 and run off the cosham lot.
Same problem here, the internet went down at about 2.44pm this afternoon.
Currently viewing the internet with a USB dongle.
I hope they are upgrading the network, but they must be having some mega problems if it went down this afternoon!

preacher
02-07-2008, 17:00
There is currently a large outage affecting the majority of Portsmouth sadly guys :(

fatbloke
02-07-2008, 17:02
I am back on but it is painfully slow. :sleep:

shibby
02-07-2008, 17:03
You know more than us! LYNCH HIM LYNCH HIM. We need to smack his contact about a bit.

I forgot if I'm even getting upgraded, I'm on 4mb.

deed02392
02-07-2008, 17:03
I'm back online at PO4 with the cosham UBR. They have upgraded the network from 4Mbps to 10Mbps! Maybe they had some difficulty in the upgrade process.

On a different note, I hope this upgrade doesn't affect us 20Mbps users, now that more bandwidth will be eaten by the upgraded peoples.

shibby
02-07-2008, 17:22
Back on in waterlooville PO8
Problem is I'm still 4mb. A restart might be in order.

deed02392
02-07-2008, 17:50
Yeah go for it and restart your modem. If it's a fairly oldish one it will probably need you to do that, whereas newer ones reboot themselves I believe. And on the even brighter side, I'm getting download speeds _far_ faster than I ever used to, _per connection_. ie, before I needed to do 2x 16 connections to get about 2MB/s, now I get 2.6MB/s on 8 simultaneous connections :| I don't think there was ever a fault, I think they were swapping out hardware and upgrading!

shibby
02-07-2008, 17:59
Well it's a new modem, only a few months old. It's an Ambit 256.
I've restarted the modem and my router. So might restart everything including the stb.
Stb > modem > router

The speed has gone up, it's now operating at about 500kbs with 2 ftp connections to the virginmedia servers.

deed02392
02-07-2008, 18:03
Nice, so that's 1MB/s you mean in total right? Enjoy your new internet speed :) Looks like Portsmouth has been upgraded then =D

shibby
02-07-2008, 18:09
I just had a thought, they might be getting throttled. I've only got an increase in speed of about 30-50kbs.

Sorry the connection as a whole operates at 500kbs. No matter how many connections I have.

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 19:12
ITS JUST AN OUTAGE NOTHING ELSE.

But a busy one in the call centres.;)

deed02392
02-07-2008, 19:16
Oh right, lame, you're still on 4Mbps then. =[ Good news you do at least have an increase speed at all though. Check your modem configuration to see if you've got the latest operating conf file, maybe you are still not set for 10Mbps yet and it will happen shortly.

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

ITS JUST AN OUTAGE NOTHING ELSE.

But a busy one in the call centres.;)

This is what the call centre said on the automated message, but since my neighbour who was on 4Mb before the outage and is now on the 10Mb, I assume tech support are just saying it's an outage so as not to confuse people by saying we're upgrading you now.

Could be wrong, but anything other than "it's a problem we're fixing" sends most techno-phobes into a panic of "what have you done now".

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 19:34
This is what the call centre said on the automated message, but since my neighbour who was on 4Mb before the outage and is now on the 10Mb, I assume tech support are just saying it's an outage so as not to confuse people by saying we're upgrading you now.

Could be wrong, but anything other than "it's a problem we're fixing" sends most techno-phobes into a panic of "what have you done now".

If it wasn't an Outage we would not have had the call levels experienced today, if it was simply upgrading we have had virtually no calls from the area.

deed02392
02-07-2008, 20:05
Oh, well on the Virgin website it states that the entire Cosham UBR area is to be upgraded to the new 10Mbps speed in July, and since it's just turned July and we rarely ever experience outage on this level I assumed it could be for no other reason than for the fact they were upgrading our speed, and possible the UBR at the same time.

Maggy
02-07-2008, 20:18
Did none you of try the service status phone number to find out what was wrong?:erm:

0800 561 0061

Most of the South and Wales suffered a BB and TV outage..was the message I got.:(

Oh you did but didn't believe it...I see.

veeemmm
02-07-2008, 20:21
Would this fault have resulted in my bb and ondemand not working - just started to work again 10 minutes ago. Not worked since at least 4pm? TV has been fine.

Or is this just the usual problem I have every few days when the green light on the stb starts flashing, that VM are unable to fix?

Maggy
02-07-2008, 20:33
I have had no BB since about 1pm and I'm not getting upgraded...sooo I believe it about the outage...:)

veeemmm
02-07-2008, 20:43
The guy I spoke to (or tried to communicate with, in English) insisted my stb was corrupt and has arranged an engineer for which I needed to arrange time off work. (yet again) I pointed out that usually when the green light flashes it eventually stops for a while and mentioned that there was a message regarding a fault in the area but he stated categorically that it would not start working again without the visit. (He told me to go to the settings screen and it said "return path is off" which he said is proof that the stb is permanently faulty!)

whydoIneedatech
02-07-2008, 21:16
It was definitely an outage, :eeek: I took enough calls over it, even got a bit of flak from one or two callers, all I could do was apologize:LOL:

deed02392
03-07-2008, 00:00
Oh, fair enough then. I guess I wrongly assumed it was being stated as an outage although they were upgrading it, since when my neighbour came back online he had 10Mb broadband from the 4Mb package ??

Maggy
03-07-2008, 00:03
Oh, fair enough then. I guess I wrongly assumed it was being stated as an outage although they were upgrading it, since when my neighbour came back online he had 10Mb broadband from the 4Mb package ??

Well the outage was across the south and into Wales so a lot of people were affected..And I fail to see why VM would report an upgrade as an outage.:erm:

deed02392
03-07-2008, 00:25
Given that the outage was across the South and into Whales, I agree that they would not report an upgrade as an outage. When I called tech support, the automated reply was that it was Portsmouth with the outage. I assumed since this such a small area they might just say it was an outage, perhaps due to miscommunication from CS to whoever sets those messages up, or that they just wanted to keep the situation simple and say it was 'out' and they were working on fixing it, rather than saying, "you've taken you offline because we're upgrading people and we've done something wrong."

Shrug

Maggy
03-07-2008, 00:28
Given that the outage was across the South and into Whales, I agree that they would not report an upgrade as an outage. When I called tech support, the automated reply was that it was Portsmouth with the outage. I assumed since this such a small area they might just say it was an outage, perhaps due to miscommunication from CS to whoever sets those messages up, or that they just wanted to keep the situation simple and say it was 'out' and they were working on fixing it, rather than saying, "you've taken you offline because we're upgrading people and we've done something wrong."

Shrug

Well I will admit I did check back after 4 hours and it had spread farther than Portsmouth.I think that VM will admit when they are upgrading.;)

whydoIneedatech
03-07-2008, 00:33
Well I will admit I did check back after 4 hours and it had spread farther than Portsmouth.I think that VM will admit when they are upgrading.;)

It was a Major Outage, and I missed all those calls:rofl: