PDA

View Full Version : Amazingly slow broadband speeds.

Ricksta7
01-07-2008, 00:03
Hi Everyone, I have had a little look and people on here seem very helpful :)

Sorry if this has been poted before? I done a search, but didn't see anything.

ok..
I have recently been upgraded to 10MB package with Virgin media, and done a spped test and got this...
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/01092866.png (http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk)

Ok, Now you have had a giggle, please helpppp lol.

I am using a Belkin Wireless router F5D7231-4 and have the old silver NTL modem.... Any idea on settings I might need to fiddle with becuase Virgin Tech Support have not been much help at all :(

Many Thanks in advance :)

Rick

Ricksta7
01-07-2008, 08:21
No one got a clue?? I would understand if it was KB but it's kb, I want bytes, not bits :(

Welshchris
01-07-2008, 08:28
Virgin have been having issues with some belkin routers and their connections, info can be found somewhere on their website.

flash the router to the latest firmware.

Cobbydaler
01-07-2008, 08:28
I've moved this to the VM Internet Services forum, as at those speeds it's unlikely to be a network problem.

Have you tried speed tests at different times of the day/night? Is there any difference?

Ricksta7
01-07-2008, 08:33
Sorry for posting in my own thread again..

Thanks for both replies... And I am still finding my way around the site lol, thanks for moving me too :)

Yes, I have tried all different times of day, and different webistes. It seems, this really is the speed I am getting :(
And yes, Also checked for latest firmware.... nothing.

Thanks for your replies though :) any other ideas?

Druchii
01-07-2008, 08:43
Which old silver modem is it? The NTL 100? OR 120? Or?

Ricksta7
01-07-2008, 08:53
aww sorry I am unsure? I am at work at the moment... we got it in 2003 if that helps? Im not sure if differents models rolled out at certain times?

Druchii
01-07-2008, 09:03
It's okay, just take a look when you get home tonight.

The ntl:100 models struggled badly with 10Mb

Ricksta7
01-07-2008, 09:13
Aww ok thank you, so this could be why im getting 23 KB/ps

I will check for sure when I get home!

Thanks again!

broadbandbug
01-07-2008, 09:40
Also, Try connecting directly to the modem taking the router out of the equation as this will help to tie down the problem.

Ricksta7
01-07-2008, 09:52
I will do this tonight, thank you. I know routers can cause problems and should have really tried this already! Is it possible it could make it as slow as this though??

broadbandbug
01-07-2008, 19:03
I will do this tonight, thank you. I know routers can cause problems and should have really tried this already! Is it possible it could make it as slow as this though??

It is possible, although unlikely.. It is always worth doing first though just for peace of mind:)

Ricksta7
07-07-2008, 11:57
Ok, I have tried removing the router completly and it worked at the full 2mb speed (almost) Is there any setting I can change on my router maybe to make this run at the full speed.... I have already made torrents run faster (at my normal speed) using port forewarding...

EDIT: Oh yes, and my modem model is the "200" version.

Many Thanks to all who have helped so far! :)

broadbandbug
07-07-2008, 16:24
Ok, I have tried removing the router completly and it worked at the full 2mb speed (almost) Is there any setting I can change on my router maybe to make this run at the full speed.... I have already made torrents run faster (at my normal speed) using port forewarding...

EDIT: Oh yes, and my modem model is the "200" version.

Many Thanks to all who have helped so far! :)

You mention now getting the full 2Mb/s. I thought you were on 10Mb/s?

You probably need to look on the router manufacturer website for updated firmware and flash to the most recent version.

Ricksta7
07-07-2008, 17:02
sorry, i missed a bit out.... basically, virgin offered me a free upgrade (aslong as i sign 12 months contract) to 10 MB I said yes... but satill got 200kbps... so... I downgraded before the 7 day time limit so i wasnt stuck with them for another 12 months... problem still stands. also firmware is up to date. something like 4.0.7 ? and its Belkin F5D7231-4

Ricksta7
11-07-2008, 19:43
Can no one answer this then? Sorry to bump up my own thread, but this is doing my head in and Virgin and Belkin are no help.... obviously everyone on here is stumped too lol. I have even unplugged other wireless things localy and no improvment in speed...

I am thinking of getting a new wireless router to try, will have to ask someone to borrow one :(

Leeds_Tykes_RFU
11-07-2008, 20:11
sorry, i missed a bit out.... basically, virgin offered me a free upgrade (aslong as i sign 12 months contract) to 10 MB I said yes... but satill got 200kbps... so... I downgraded before the 7 day time limit so i wasnt stuck with them for another 12 months... problem still stands. also firmware is up to date. something like 4.0.7 ? and its Belkin F5D7231-4

Hi Ricksta. I have the same router, and I've never had any problem getting the speed I was supposed to get from it. Even on the XL package, I managed to get the full 20meg. Ok, MOST of the time I did!:p:

So I doubt it's a problem with the router itself.

You could try changing the channel on the router, that may help.

The firmware version I have btw, is F5D7231-4_US_5.01.11.

Hope you get it sorted.

alferret
11-07-2008, 20:49

Have you checked the modems config file to see what tier you are on?

go to 192.168.100.1 user name root password root

Ricksta7
13-07-2008, 01:36
Thank you both very much for your replies :)
Leeds Tykes, Where would I get that update fr for my belkin then? Thanks again :)

Also alferret I am unsure what you mean by "tier" ?? I am looking on the modem config now though, sounds more promising... thanks again. I am on 2MEG by the looks of it again but if I get the full 2meg soted, I will go back upto 10 :D

sstainer
13-07-2008, 08:50
Leeds Tykes, Where would I get that update fr for my belkin then? Thanks again :)

Also alferret I am unsure what you mean by "tier" ?? I am looking on the modem config now though, sounds more promising... thanks again. I am on 2MEG by the looks of it again but if I get the full 2meg soted, I will go back upto 10 :D

tier ie =level 2, 10, 20 lol

Ricksta7
14-07-2008, 00:09
lol im on 2... anyways, I very much doubt anyone can fix my problem :( I will just change to o2 Broadband lol.

Top an bottom of my problem is...

Speed test through modem - PC via ethernet = full 2meg
Speed test with router = 200kbps...
Open port downloads (i.e Torrents) Download at Over 200KBps (Big B lol)
So, any clues?

I have even tried disabling firewalls etc and security... nothing :(

ceedee
14-07-2008, 09:32
If you're getting 1600Kb/s using torrents (which is pretty good) and 2000Kb/s downloading files when connected directly to the cable modem, there is no problem with your connection.

If you're only getting 200Kb/s through your router, it would suggest that it's settings are incorrect -- have you tried doing a factory reset? If that doesn't work, it could mean that your router needs replacing.

The chances are that switching to O2 using the same router will not improve your speeds.

Leeds_Tykes_RFU
14-07-2008, 13:08

Hi Ricksta, if you go into the settings for the router there's an option to 'Update firmware' somewhere. Failing that, you can get the update from the Belkin website - which, if memory serves me, was what I did.

Have you tried Ceedee's suggestion though, restoring the router to factory settings? If you do that, and you're still having problems then it probably points to it being a faulty router. Belkin, for all their faults, are pretty quick at exchanging dodgy goods!

EvilRoySlade
14-07-2008, 16:23
If you're getting bad speed results at 1 in the morning then I suggest you reload your PC. I know it seems an unlikely solution but when I was upgraded to 20Mb I was only getting 3-4Mb. Formatted, reinstalled and got 20Mb immediately.

Ricksta7
14-07-2008, 17:03
Thank you all again.. I have updated firmware to latest version on website... Still saying 4.07.07 is the latest..

I think it's pointing towards being a faulty router to be honest. Just seems strange the faults not there when downloading torrents (port forwarded) I might try re formatting PC? Although I have tried it on 2 computers up to now, but both are not very new... one is a Dell (about 5 yrs old lol) and other about 2 years. I will try re formatting windows and try again later. Is there any way to factory restore the modem itself aswell? Or only the router.

ceedee
14-07-2008, 17:17
Is there any way to factory restore the modem itself aswell? Or only the router.

The only software that matters in the modem is the configuration file which is downloaded each time you power up (or reboot) your modem.
Just turn it off for five minutes...

Before you reformat your drives and reinstall windows, check your router's manual and find out how to reset all the settings to the factory default.

Good luck!

The Installer
14-07-2008, 17:19
I use the same router as you and have no problems with it at all.

Reset your router settings to the factory default.

Close all your torrents down and reboot your PC and makesure they don't startup again when you reboot !!!

Only have the one pc connected via ethernet to your router, don't use wireless !!!

Retest your speed from speetest.net
I would advise you to retest this at various times of the day too.

Don't try and judge the speed of your connection using torrents :erm:

Makesure your not STM'd when you try and test your speed .....

Ricksta7
17-07-2008, 14:27
I seem to have another problem aswell now :( Unusre if they are related...

In the last month, I have had to reset my modem about 10 times? Also when I reset it it does not sync unless I let it is unplugged for atleast 10 mins, I have tried unplugging for 30 secs, 2 mins, 5 mins, so now I make sure I leave it atleast 10 :(

Lotharemas
18-07-2008, 02:41
i use the exact same router as you Ricksta7 and im getting the -exact- same problem, im on the L 10meg Broadband and ever since it "upgraded" to that ive had seriously slow speeds, even slower than my previous 4meg Broadband. my modem is the old Silver NTL: home 200 modem.

Ricksta7
18-07-2008, 13:32
Wow I thought I was the only one lol. It is very annoying isnt it. I think I am going to get my modem replaced and see if it helps.

donkey1982
18-07-2008, 13:48
no problems here!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2008/07/32.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

tvout
18-07-2008, 17:41
It's really bad here today...

Went on speedtest.net and the ping to Maidenhead was about 572ms!!! Normally about 20-30ish...
The download speed about 578kbps...?!!

I then tried http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com and downloaded a file from there... started at just over 1MB/s then dropped to about 256kb/s....??!

I rebooted the modem and router, still the same...

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

I've just spoken to VM tech support and when they checked they said I was number 8 on a switch with 6 ports??! He said they must have increased the number of ports available and when he checked the UBR he noticed a huge spike in upstream utilisation which he'd never seen so bad before. It's being escalated to 2nd line support...
Hopefully things might improve....

tvout
18-07-2008, 21:06
Back to normal again now...speedtest.net showed 28ms ping to Maidenhead and 12935kb/s download (I get some loss over the wireless).

Lotharemas
19-07-2008, 04:40
gave Virgin Media a call and their gonna send me a new Modem, im assuming thats the actual cause since mine is ancient.

Sirpingalot
19-07-2008, 06:23
It's really bad here today...

Went on speedtest.net and the ping to Maidenhead was about 572ms!!! Normally about 20-30ish...
The download speed about 578kbps...?!!

I then tried http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com and downloaded a file from there... started at just over 1MB/s then dropped to about 256kb/s....??!

I rebooted the modem and router, still the same...

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

I've just spoken to VM tech support and when they checked they said I was number 8 on a switch with 6 ports??! He said they must have increased the number of ports available and when he checked the UBR he noticed a huge spike in upstream utilisation which he'd never seen so bad before. It's being escalated to 2nd line support...
Hopefully things might improve....

It was a bad day yesterday here in the NW too. Pings were insanely high.

Zhadnost
19-07-2008, 11:41
It may not be all bad, maybe there was upgrade work going on. Didn't there used to be a page on (then) ntls site warning you of such work?

tvout
19-07-2008, 21:51
and it's gone slow again this evening...

Started going slow about 4ish and has been crummy all evening here...

Ricksta7
20-07-2008, 00:49
Well I have decided I am going to phone tech support on monday and see if they will come to my house to have a look. If they can't fix, I am going to ask for a new modem / maybe even new router? Also If they do fix it I am just going to go for the 12 month contract and get rid of phone line :) saving a litte wonga and get free 10mb upgrade :)

whydoIneedatech
20-07-2008, 08:39
Well I have decided I am going to phone tech support on monday and see if they will come to my house to have a look. If they can't fix, I am going to ask for a new modem / maybe even new router? Also If they do fix it I am just going to go for the 12 month contract and get rid of phone line :) saving a litte wonga and get free 10mb upgrade :)

Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

Open a browser and in the address bar put> 192.168.100.1 password and username are both root if required.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER
---------------------------------------------------

Tech Support are open 24/7

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Ricksta7
21-07-2008, 00:46
Cheers mate, Do you work for Tech Support then I guess?

Modem is the old Siler NTL one, Model 200.

Cable Modem Configuration

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Software version : 2.67.1016 Hardware version : 1.15
Boot Code version : 3.13.2 Web Based Configuration Pages version : 1.0.2
USB AdaptorName : USB Cable Modem USB
USB vendor ID : 0bb2 USB product ID : 6098

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragmentation Disabled, PHS Disabled
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1

I am still thinking it's my router settings though to be hoest? Seems when odem plugged into PC Direct, I ge the full speeds, Any Idea what settingsrun best on Belkin routers using this modem?

Any help is very greatful :D

Zhadnost
21-07-2008, 09:56
I'm no expert but it appears that instead of the 10MBit config being sent to your modem, you have the 2MBit one.

whydoIneedatech
21-07-2008, 09:56
Cheers mate, Do you work for Tech Support then I guess?

Modem is the old Siler NTL one, Model 200.

Cable Modem Configuration

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem
Software version : 2.67.1016 Hardware version : 1.15
Boot Code version : 3.13.2 Web Based Configuration Pages version : 1.0.2
USB AdaptorName : USB Cable Modem USB
USB vendor ID : 0bb2 USB product ID : 6098

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragmentation Disabled, PHS Disabled
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1

I am still thinking it's my router settings though to be hoest? Seems when odem plugged into PC Direct, I ge the full speeds, Any Idea what settingsrun best on Belkin routers using this modem?

Any help is very greatful :D

You have proved to yourself that it is the router not the modem that is causing your speed problems.

Routers are renowned for loss of speed, you need a better router like a 125mbps router or faster to get your throughput.

Zhadnost
21-07-2008, 10:55
At the start of the thread he said he was on the 10MBit package.

seems to suggest otherwise.

Ricksta7
21-07-2008, 11:17
I explained this in one of my posts....

Bascially, I am on 2meg. Noticed it was extremley slow and phoned Virgin, to keep me with the company they offered me 10MB free upgrade... So I took it for about a week, and still no faster speeds. So I phoned Virgin again to get put back down to the 2MB package so that I am not stuck in a 12 month contract.

whydoIneedatech, Thanks for you're reply, I have a belkin router (F5D7231-4) that apparently (as it's got printed on top) goes 125mbps? Is there a setting I might need to change on the router, Or do you think it is completly pooped? I have made some virtual server for torrents and these download through the router at pretty much top speed that I am allocated.

Ricksta7
21-07-2008, 13:40
Sorry for the double post... but maybe a MOD / Admin can move this to a belkin / router / wireless section now for more help? Unless anyone here has any knowlege to help on the subject :)