PDA

View Full Version : Keep getting Disconnected

don_1
29-06-2008, 14:48
I keep getting disconnected from my internet connection after 15 -20 minutes (even without router) and when I shut down my laptop and restart it. Anyone know whats wrong?

Welshchris
29-06-2008, 14:59
what u mean disconnected?

don_1
29-06-2008, 15:14
what u mean disconnected?

My internet/VM modem connection stops working (no internet).

sstainer
29-06-2008, 15:25
does the modem lose the connection or is between pc/laptop and modem thats likely problem?
how is it yr connected usb, ethernet?? wireless router

mentalis
29-06-2008, 16:14
My Internet has been doing this since Friday. On the V+ box the online light flashes, and upstairs the modem sync light sometimes lights, but the ready light flashes.

It came back briefly on Saturday morning, but went of last night and came back five minutes ago.

Yesterday CS said there was a fault, and that it would be fixed by 18:00.

When I rang up this morning they think it is more serious and have booked a technician for Tuesday.

don_1
29-06-2008, 20:06
does the modem lose the connection or is between pc/laptop and modem thats likely problem?
how is it yr connected usb, ethernet?? wireless router

The modem loses connection and i've tried bothe ethernet and a wireless router.

SwanZ
29-06-2008, 21:31
This has just started happening to me. Connection keeps dropping off then reconnecting grrrrrrr

don_1
29-06-2008, 22:36
This has just started happening to me. Connection keeps dropping off then reconnecting grrrrrrr

So you guys think its a fault from VM's side?

bo-peep
29-06-2008, 22:51
i've been having issues for the last 2 weeks.have spoken with 'tech support' in India,had an engineer out and checking server status was a waste of time-they do eventually come clean and tell u that there is indeed a problem.top techie guy told me on the fone on Friday that there had been an outage but that was now sorted ( even tho i still had probs on Friday when i shouldn't have done).drives me bonkers and got to the point where i started a diary and i know for a fact the disconnections aren't a problem @ my end.i can have msn messenger open and not be at the pc-but go back on, it's logged me out and is reconnecting.

SwanZ
30-06-2008, 14:09
I keep losing connection every 10 secs or so, it's so annoying. I haven't phoned CS yet. I'm hoping the problem will resolve itself before I have to speak to someone in India who does not understand what I am saying.

brk
30-06-2008, 18:00
Don't hold your breath m8, the Indian call centres are 90% waste of time ,I had a set top box that would keep rebooting itself ,and by some strange reason I actually got through to an English call centre ,the fault was described as unfixable so a engineer would be needed, will come between 8 and 12 ,engineer comes at 12.30 so had to rebook, then I get some Indian who thinks he can fix it on the phone for me, I had to get quite abrupt with him to accept the fact that it needed an engineer only and if he had come when he should have done, then I wouldn't have been phoning up again to re-arrange another engineer visit.This isn't the first time it's happened either, I had some woman arguing that I couldn't have an engineer's visit for some 45 mins with me even though an engineer had failed to show again and I was trying to re-book another visit, I virtually had to scream at her to get off the phone , she eventually put me through to some tech back in Britain who agreed with me in about 1 min that I needed a engineer visit and all was sorted , so if you got any type of fault ,then good luck to you all.

bunter
30-06-2008, 18:40
Our modem loses connection, (can't ping gateway or anything) all the time. sometimes we lose IP address too and get self assigned IP instead. Sometimes this makes the net totally unusable (will only connect for a minute or too at a time.

moaningmags
30-06-2008, 22:57
Our modem loses connection, (can't ping gateway or anything) all the time. sometimes we lose IP address too and get self assigned IP instead. Sometimes this makes the net totally unusable (will only connect for a minute or too at a time.

Which modem do you have?
type 192.168.100.1 into your web browser and post the power levels, signal to nosie ratios, frequencies etc n we can help you more.

Mags

don_1
30-06-2008, 23:13
Which modem do you have?
type 192.168.100.1 into your web browser and post the power levels, signal to nosie ratios, frequencies etc n we can help you more.

Mags

Can you use those signal boosters to improve the internet speed?

whydoIneedatech
30-06-2008, 23:15
Can you use those signal boosters to improve the internet speed?

THats for ADSL but if on XP try below

You could try this below if you are on XP.

TCP Optimiser is actually on the Virginmedia website click on this link and read about it.

http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...anced_optimise

Then the link to the Speedguide site

www.speedguide.net.

Or the link direct to the Optimiser.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

bunter
01-07-2008, 20:00
Which modem do you have?
type 192.168.100.1 into your web browser and post the power levels, signal to nosie ratios, frequencies etc n we can help you more. Mags

Modem is ambit 256 (3 days old just replaced)
engineer was out yesterday checked line, stripped & reconnected from all connections from box outside wall & put attenuator on the cable. When he left all seemed fine. The connection has crapped out several times since. When it happens the modem lights stay solid so it is difficult to get support to accept that it is VM problem, however I have tested line with 3 different computers and all get same problem

As you can see below the upstream power level is very high atm. usually it is lower.

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 56.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.1 dB

If you do have any suggestions I would be very grateful.