PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect Speed

chrishodg
26-06-2008, 23:53
Hi,

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated, 8 weeks ago we moved house we asked for Large BB instead of the Medium we were on in the previous house now, 4 engineers, 15 phone calls (at least to tech alone), i still have the problem with receiving the incorrect service. The connection being paid for is the L and we are receiving M and some days like today i am receiving no more than 1mbps, when calling technical support although to call them technical is a joke :monkey:, all i get is restart the modem we'll send some "signals", plug the modem directly into your computer and not through the wireless router (because of course this will cause me to loose 3mb in connection speed),then you are advised to wait 48 hours or just long enough for customer services to close then they will refer you there, to only be referred to technical again the next day, and you can see the pattern forming i am sure. The latest installment came when i was told my modems MAC address was registered to someone elses account, they have now rectified this and all should be ok, which it is not.. Virgin seem very capable of charging for the service you ask for but not actually providing it, is there anyone that has any idea what the problem could be or anyone from Virgin Media that could sort this out for me, as i have had no luck with technical or customer services or any managers for that matter in getting this very annoying issue resolved, :mad: rant over.

Please help!!

If you require any further information please let me know and i'll post it.

Chris,

sstainer
27-06-2008, 00:32
oh dear chris, have you tried the customer care people maybe better chance of something being done correctly??
i take that back you done it, ok
how about the upgrade your speed at your account at virgin media webpage

chrishodg
27-06-2008, 01:03
Thanks for the reply, yeah customer care(LOL) are just as bad unfortunately, they all try but none succeed, i wouldn't have thought the upgrade your speed option wouldn't be applicable as the large bb package shows on the bill they just cannot enable it so i receive the service.
Chris

Welshchris
27-06-2008, 02:30
ask them to check out if theres over utilization on the UBRs in ur area. U can ask them to do this without phoning via their newsgroups.

xspeedyx
27-06-2008, 08:43
Thanks for the reply, yeah customer care(LOL) are just as bad unfortunately, they all try but none succeed, i wouldn't have thought the upgrade your speed option wouldn't be applicable as the large bb package shows on the bill they just cannot enable it so i receive the service.
Chris

Post ur results from here 192.168.100.1 password and username is root root is needed and see what the techs can see

As for your wireless comment yes you can loose 3meg over wireless I lost 14mb over my wireless connection

Welshchris
27-06-2008, 08:47
the best wireless routers for Virgin 20mb tend to be the Netgear rangemax from what i can remember reading.

Raistlin
27-06-2008, 08:57
Post ur results from here 192.168.100.1<snip>

.....but please don't post your MAC address or IP address - thanks :)

Richy99
27-06-2008, 10:20
hes on 4meg so unless he is running wireless b there shouldnt be any lose of speed over the wireless providing he is using wiresss g equipment and has a decent signal

chrishodg
27-06-2008, 11:50
to clear up the wireless issue, its the same connected directly to the modem and if your losing 14 meg over a wireless connection bin that router and get another, i will post the results from there when i get home, thanks for the replies,

chris,

chrishodg
27-06-2008, 21:01
i presume this is the info you require:

Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.4 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.0 dBmV

The latest speed test results show download at: 1984kbps and upload at: 191kbps.

Cheers,

Chris,

r00t
27-06-2008, 21:09
Those figures are fine Chris.

chrishodg
28-06-2008, 03:59
well they are fine but i am still receiving the incorrect speed! i am paying for large and receiving 2mb if i'm lucky, this isn't right and VM will NOT sort it anyone able to help from VM?
the download and upload figures are no different from when i was paying for the medium package!!!

cheers,

chris,

colin-bennett
28-06-2008, 07:58
well they are fine but i am still receiving the incorrect speed! i am paying for large and receiving 2mb if i'm lucky, this isn't right and VM will NOT sort it anyone able to help from VM?
the download and upload figures are no different from when i was paying for the medium package!!!

cheers,

chris,
I understan your frustration chris.
May I make a few points below.
If any are wrong please advise as will help others reading the thread.
The Movers team transfered your account from your old property to your new property ??
Was the upgrade to go thru after the move so at your old property you on 2 meg and at new property 4 meg ???
This being so Movers may have done poor job (nothong changed here then) (joke)
You took your modem with you ??

Tech support could see your mac code at other address, Was this your old address ??
If your modem not assigned correctly sending hits has no effect. re-booting has no effect.

Resolution.

Speak to movers who will check the transfer was correct and any equipment on the system was removed from your old address...

Speak to cust care who can order new modem. Once arrived reg new modem with tech support.
Get tech out to change modem (which may be faulty).
I do hope the above helps

monkey2468
28-06-2008, 09:04
i presume this is the info you require:

Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.4 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 40.0 dBmV

The latest speed test results show download at: 1984kbps and upload at: 191kbps.

Cheers,

Chris,

Can you show the results from the 'operational config.' page?

sstainer
28-06-2008, 09:07
Chris

i'd still try it to be honest if it was me and i was in your shoes
first i would check that the settings were correct for 4mb/10mb in the operation config page of http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp
the data rates up/down

then i'd waltz on over to my account at virgin media go through all the bother of loggin in seeing what my speed was and if an option to upgrade it was there ie 4mb/20mb thats if the system showed me as 2mb??
if it did i'd click the 4mb for sure and let virgin worry about any paper work needed.

on another note maybe write to virgin complain at the level of service you got and say why should i pay xx for xx service?

good luck what ever u do

chrishodg
28-06-2008, 12:44
i'll try the upgrade your speed option need to call VM to get my e-mail address as i don't use them and have forgot them, the results from the page you've asked for are as follows which i presume say the connection speed is limited to 2mb DL and 200kbps UL.

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

On the compo front i've essentially had 2 months free BB in compo, but all i really want is for it to work as it should.

**UPDATE** On the selfhelp pages my bb package is set to L.

thanks,
chris,

sstainer
28-06-2008, 13:00
i'll try the upgrade your speed option need to call VM to get my e-mail address as i don't use them and have forgot them, the results from the page you've asked for are as follows which i presume say the connection speed is limited to 2mb DL and 200kbps UL.

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 2048000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 200000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

On the compo front i've essentially had 2 months free BB in compo, but all i really want is for it to work as it should.

thanks,
chris,

yeah your right that says your modem is configured at 2mb tier , like you say when get email / password from VM try the auto upgrade your speed site

chrishodg
28-06-2008, 13:10
yeah your right that says your modem is configured at 2mb tier , like you say when get email / password from VM try the auto upgrade your speed site

yeh that has been done now and its set to the large package my upgrade option is to xl on that page,:erm:

colin-bennett
28-06-2008, 13:58
Best of luck with this chris.

chrishodg
28-06-2008, 14:05
I understan your frustration chris.
May I make a few points below.
If any are wrong please advise as will help others reading the thread.
The Movers team transfered your account from your old property to your new property ?? Correct
Was the upgrade to go thru after the move so at your old property you on 2 meg and at new property 4 meg ??? Yes it was
This being so Movers may have done poor job (nothong changed here then) (joke)
You took your modem with you ?? took the modem with me and 2 further engineers since the installers have come out to correct any installation issues

Tech support could see your mac code at other address, Was this your old address ?? the mac address was registered to a completely differant customer not sure how this happened
If your modem not assigned correctly sending hits has no effect. re-booting has no effect.

Resolution.

Speak to movers who will check the transfer was correct and any equipment on the system was removed from your old address...spoke to technical and customer services numerous, hense me trying this at a last resort

Speak to cust care who can order new modem. Once arrived reg new modem with tech support. i have tried a differant modem with no joy but may insist they send a new one out just for diagnostics sake
Get tech out to change modem (which may be faulty).
I do hope the above helps

colin-bennett
28-06-2008, 14:12
Ok chris
Did not mean to offend ?

As I said
Best of luck trying to resolve your speed issue
Over and OUT

chrishodg
28-06-2008, 14:22
Sorry i realised i hadnt answered any off your questions, sorry if it came across like i was offended, it was just easier to answer within the quote with a differant coloured lettering thats all, thanks and i hope i get it sorted otherwise i think sky may be getting a call,

colin-bennett
28-06-2008, 14:26
Sorry i realised i hadnt answered any off your questions, sorry if it came across like i was offended, it was just easier to answer within the quote with a differant coloured lettering thats all, thanks and i hope i get it sorted otherwise i think sky may be getting a call,

Many thanks for reply..
As I said good luck trying to get this sorted.

Tezcatlipoca
28-06-2008, 14:49
@ chrishodg

So...

You're definitely paying for "L" broadband (4Mbps / "soon to be 10Mbps"), but your modem is still definitely on the "M" service (2Mbps)?

And you just keep getting bounced back between CS & TS? [good old telephone ping pong...]

I had a similar problem (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/35274-connection-died-then-came-back-but.html) a few years ago, when I still had ntl Broadband. After a connection problem, my SACM ended up on the 1Mbps service, yet I was paying for 2Mbps. CS & TS kept passing the buck, until I eventually got hold of a helpful CSR at TS who sorted it out for me there & then.

We have an official contact at VM who has been quite helpful in the past at resolving issues for customers who have got nowhere with CS & TS. If you continue having no luck, & would like me to escalate this issue for you, send me a PM with your name, account number, & a contact phone number, and hopefully they'll be of some help :)

chrishodg
28-06-2008, 15:15
@ chrishodg

So...

You're definitely paying for "L" broadband (4Mbps / "soon to be 10Mbps"), but your modem is still definitely on the "M" service (2Mbps)?

And you just keep getting bounced back between CS & TS? [good old telephone ping pong...]

I had a similar problem (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/35274-connection-died-then-came-back-but.html) a few years ago, when I still had ntl Broadband. After a connection problem, my SACM ended up on the 1Mbps service, yet I was paying for 2Mbps. CS & TS kept passing the buck, until I eventually got hold of a helpful CSR at TS who sorted it out for me there & then.

We have an official contact at VM who has been quite helpful in the past at resolving issues for customers who have got nowhere with CS & TS. If you continue having no luck, & would like me to escalate this issue for you, send me a PM with your name, account number, & a contact phone number, and hopefully they'll be of some help :)

Thanks, i really do give up with the people on the phone sometimes(this being one of those ocasions), i will PM you the details once i have dug them out, when i get home.

Cheers,
Chris,